You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Help me choose a dress!  (Read 2460 times)

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
Help me choose a dress!
« on: November 21, 2014, 02:51:03 PM »
OK skaters, after my first competition, I've decided to get myself a competition dress - something that is in a colour that will work with lots of different music and that's flattering. I've found two that I like, but really, really can't decide, and need your help!

There's this one, which I like in the purple and blue (can change both the velour colour and the material used in the detail if I want to) but the purple solar fabric (in the waistband etc) is currently not in stock and I need to find out if it's going to be stocked again, or choose a different fabric.

http://www.jenetex.com/detail.asp?id=237

Or there's this one, which can be done in any of the velours and glitzy fabrics on the website - see the fabric section. Again, I was thinking either blue or purple, possibly with that same solar fabric.

http://www.jenetex.com/detail.asp?id=24

I'm 24, pear shaped but losing weight and 5ft 2. Help me, please! This is a 25th birthday present from my mum and I'd be wearing it in my next competition, coming up in April.
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
Re: Help me choose a dress!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 03:25:50 PM »
I like the second one a little better. The first one looks like a little girl's dress. The shape of the skirt is better in the second one also. Although I do love the purple! I just looked at the shape, not the color since I don't know yours.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 04:19:15 PM »
I like dress #1 better - because of the skirt shape.  I find the skirts that scoop up high on the sides (like dress #2) are not very flattering, especially on adults.  I like skirts that are more the same length on the sides as in the front, like dress #1.  I would choose a darker color, not white, for the mesh underskirt.  The purple and the blue are both really pretty colors and should look very nice on the ice.  The cerise and claret velours are also gorgeous.  How fun to be able to pick your style and fabrics!  I love all of their glitzy fabrics, too.  What a wonderful birthday present - happy bday in advance!

Offline saje

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 06:25:18 PM »
I'm also a "pear shape" and skirts like the skirt in dress #2 look AWFUL on me.  You might be better off with dress #1.
Current Skating Projects:
-Intermediate MITF (still...)
-Double toes + double loops
-Getting my camel back

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 09:17:48 PM »
I think you will find the second one more comfortable to wear. I've tried a couple which are shaped like the first one, and a friend has one with that neckline, and we've both found that they feel like they are either slipping off the shoulders or digging in.
Are you able to request different skirts?

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 04:37:58 AM »
Unfortunately the customisation only goes as far as fabrics - even the sizes are regular dance wear sizes, so changing skirts isn't an option.

I'm still leaning towards number 1, I have a fishtail practice dress already and don't feel confident in it yet, plus I've never seen a dress like #1 before so it's nice and different :)
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline emitche

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 12:52:43 AM »
I like dress 1, but am not sure about the accent fabric.
Adult Pre-bronze Moves (Oct 16)
Adult Bronze Moves (May 18)

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 03:31:27 PM »
Personally I think that if you are pear shape( I am as well), straight skirts fit better, so number 1. However, if you are looking for an all around competition dress, I don't think the accent frabric is right for the purpose. Just a thought
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 04:06:45 PM »
Personally I think that if you are pear shape( I am as well), straight skirts fit better, so number 1. However, if you are looking for an all around competition dress, I don't think the accent frabric is right for the purpose. Just a thought

Agreed - I prefer the shape of the skirt, but I think the middle stripe on that first dress will have the opposite effect to what you are looking for.  It's cute on little kids, but it's rather unflattering even on very slim adults.

The skirt on the second dress doesn't seem so dramatically raised at the hip like the skirts are on some dresses - I really do like the top on that dress much better, but I'd like it a lot more if the skirt was the same color as the body, and had more of an even hemline.