You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Bringing camera to the ice  (Read 5130 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Bringing camera to the ice
« on: April 14, 2011, 03:56:09 PM »
I want to film myself while I'm skating so I know how I look and can work on perfecting my technique (some moves feel right to me but just look horrible when I see my video). I used to just wear a jacket with pockets, and I put my camera in the pocket, but I want to wear something nicer to the rink (like a leotard + skirt + leggings, or a practice dress), and am wondering what is the best way to bring a point-and-shoot camera with me on the ice.

Would you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Bringing camera to the ice
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 04:08:42 PM »
I just leave mine on the boards next to my pack of tissues.  I'd actually be scared to put it in my pocket, because then I might fall on it.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 04:10:01 PM »
If it's not too big ... you can do what my teenage students do who want to conceal that they have their (banned in the school) cell phones with them: they tuck it securely in the cup of their bra.  If you do it towards the cleavage side, it's not really noticeable ... unless you're wearing a shirt TOO TIGHT for school!

(of course, the ones that leave it on vibrate find it disconcerting when a text message comes in.) :o :o :o :angel

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 04:11:17 PM »
I've found the Flip camera to be excellent for on-ice videos. But they were discontinued yesterday, so buy one now if you're interested.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 05:37:35 PM »
I use one of these and just stick my camera somewhere either on the boards or the glass: http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Digital-TGT-SP-Suction-Tripod/dp/B001C3L4IQ

I use it to hold either my bloggie (like it because you can turn the lens around, and look at the screen while shooting yourself - otherwise it's very similar to a flip) and it came with a clip that works pretty well with my iPhone (which honestly takes better videos). 

No one has ever messed with my camera or phone when it's been set up... but I prefer to use the $80 bloggie instead of my iPhone.. I'd be less upset if it got stolen.  I'd die without my phone :)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 08:16:05 PM »
I've never seen a suction-cup tripod - that's perfect!  I used a small Kodak camera that was wide enough to stand on the top of the boards, but I did worry about someone knocking it down.

For filming students, I have a $80 flip video camera that I bought five years ago.  Best business expense ever!  I film the skaters and then we can play it back to review their technique.  I just wish it did slow-motion.  I use an old hot pink padded camera case (intended for a polaroid izone) and keep it in my skate bag.  Occasionally, I unload the videos, but only for posterity.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 10:11:30 PM »
I just make someone film for me.  My phone does great 720p recording and I have software on the computer that automatically makes a panarama out of video (so I can do a i.e. flip jump and it'll panarama the jump almost like a video analysis application).  I have 2 smartphones and I wouldn't leave any of them unattended.

You can't even leave Bunga Pads unattended at some sessions for fear of someone thinking they're free to have them...

Yea, I'm bitter.  They were like $40...  >:(

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 10:31:49 PM »

You can't even leave Bunga Pads unattended at some sessions for fear of someone thinking they're free to have them...

Yea, I'm bitter.  They were like $40...  >:(

I've had an ice halo and one bunga elbow pad disappear. ONE! not the pair. I put my bag on top of the lockers. Some people just leave their's lying around. That makes it just a little to easy.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 06:13:42 PM »
If it's not too big ... you can do what my teenage students do who want to conceal that they have their (banned in the school) cell phones with them: they tuck it securely in the cup of their bra.  If you do it towards the cleavage side, it's not really noticeable ... unless you're wearing a shirt TOO TIGHT for school!

It would be noticeable on me, as it would project farther out than my boobies do  :laugh:.  We don't all have cleavage in which to tuck the odd item.
My glass is half full :)

Offline lindafmb

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Total GOE: 8
    • Fit Mind-Body Conditioning YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 07:20:08 PM »
I use a Canon Power Shot to capture most of my video. If it's elements that I can do in one place, or figures, I just shoot from the boards, with the camera just sitting on the boards, no tripod. If it's dance or a program, I usually get a friend or a coach to film me. Depending on what we're looking at, we either shoot from the judges' perspective, or whoever is filming just follows me.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 03:19:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I usually film by putting my camera on the boards. It takes pretty nice videos from here, but my problems are:

1. if I keep them on the boards, and somebody hits the boards, my camera could fall
2. if I keep them outside the rink, I'm afraid somebody would steal it (I don't have anyone who could hold it for me).

So I was looking for ways to bring the camera close to my body while I am not yet filming myself. Although I do like the keep-it-in-your-bra method (cool!), my camera is a bit too big for my cleavage....

The suction cup thing looks great too -- I think that fewer people would bother stealing from something attached to the glass/plastic panes. My only question is: has the suction cup ever failed you (e.g., has it ever fallen off?)

Thanks again for all the advice!

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 08:19:13 AM »
If you are concerned about a camera falling from the boards, consider a flexible tripod like the Joby Gorilla Pod... http://joby.com/store/gorillapod/original

I would imagine that the legs could wrap around the overhang on the boards to keep it secure. It isn't that expensive to try.
Bill Schneider