You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Spring Skate Tuneup  (Read 2684 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Spring Skate Tuneup
« on: March 30, 2012, 09:53:52 AM »
You could certainly maintain your own skates, but if you're willing to pay someone else, Rainbo Sports is offering a "Spring Skate Tuneup" service for $55, which includes:

Boot and Blade Tune-Up Package

Door-to-door service and shipping is free.

Your skates will be picked up at home or your office, tuned up by the best technicians in the country, and shipped back to you with no hassle.

Our Tune-Up Package includes:

•competitive sharpening
•touch-up wax
•check/replace screws
•boot cleaning
•check/replace laces

Rainbo will reimburse all shipping costs via UPS to and from our location. Rainbo is not responsible for damage to the boots in transit. We recommend that you insure the boots as you ship them to us and make sure they they are packaged well for protection. We will do the same as we ship them back to you.

Once you place the order for this service, Rainbo will send you the pre-paid shipping information for you to schedule your pick-up.

Estimated time is 7-10 days. Please call us with any questions.

SKU: TUNEUP

Our Price: $55.00

http://shoprainbo.com/shop/site/product.cfm/id/C3AB0E40-155D-050A-22CD8FE563E34EF8
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Spring Skate Tuneup
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 10:01:28 AM »
Good price since shipping is usually like $20 each way (or at least it was when I was doing a remote boot fitting through Rainbo)

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 10:59:15 PM »
Not bad I guess if you think you need all that stuff...what is a "competitive sharpening" compared to any other sharpening?

I always thought it was a badge of honor to have skates that were dirty and scuffed up.

The real issue here is, who wants to be without their skates for 7-10 days?!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 11:50:36 PM »
what is a "competitive sharpening" compared to any other sharpening?

My rink differentiates between "recreational" and "high freestyle" for figure skate sharpening.. so my guess would be that it's just a deeper hollow, possibly with a finer finish (using a finer grinding wheel) than a recreational skate would receive. 

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 11:53:01 PM »
My rink differentiates between "recreational" and "high freestyle" for figure skate sharpening.. so my guess would be that it's just a deeper hollow, possibly with a finer finish (using a finer grinding wheel) than a recreational skate would receive. 

I started paying for "competitive sharpening" after changing from stock blades into coronation aces. When asked, IIRC pro shop simply said more advanced blades require more care.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 12:06:59 AM »
I don't trust the rink to sharpen my skates.. they do however sharpen my kids' skates, and I know that the quality of the job isn't anywhere close to what I would want for mine.

I've been quite happy with my sharpener though... for me it's worth paying the extra over what the rink charges.  I'm not willing to risk my $500 blades with someone who probably makes <$10 an hour :)