You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Summer Camps  (Read 3291 times)

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
Summer Camps
« on: March 26, 2011, 03:09:27 PM »
Any one sending their skater to camps this summer? Any tips for finding a good camp?Pros or cons for ones your skater has attended before?

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
Re: Summer Camps
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 04:02:21 PM »
what levels are your kids at and what are their ages.  This makes a big difference in what camps they would enjoy! 

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 10:24:31 PM »
what levels are your kids at and what are their ages.  This makes a big difference in what camps they would enjoy! 
I was really just asking a general question :}My kids are pre juv/juv and 10,11

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:12:12 AM »
Fwiw, I took summer camps at the rink I trained at. They were 6 hours a day and included off ice training, on ice training, and practice time. I remember enjoying them and did them 4 weeks out of the summer. :).

(this was also 10 years ago but don't discredit the local rink camps as something to start with)

This summer they're planning on holding two day adult camp that I am planning on attending :) of course only if my schedule allows it unfortunately and for all I know I'll be at a higher level than them but it might be fun. :)

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 12:59:09 PM »
My dd goes to 'camp' at her own rink...her coaches run it so they have a couple freestyle sessions, their lesson, a break with lunch, off-ice and then a group class (stroking, interpretation, spinning etc).   

But I have heard kids enjoy the camp at Lake Placid. 

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 04:18:29 PM »
My dd goes to 'camp' at her own rink...her coaches run it so they have a couple freestyle sessions, their lesson, a break with lunch, off-ice and then a group class (stroking, interpretation, spinning etc).   

But I have heard kids enjoy the camp at Lake Placid. 
I have heard good things about the Placid one as well. I have heard not so good things about the Ice Castles camp.I am a big believer in local camps, but we arent having one this year.

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 06:15:51 PM »
Broadmoor SC in Colorado Springs has a summer skating "camp".  It's pretty independent and I believe you create your own schedule based on what they offer.  I think a pre-juv/juv skater could handle it.  However anything lower, I would recommend a much more structured, true camp experience.  I think Lake Placid has a great summer program and I think Indianapolis still offers there's as well.  Those are two I know have a more structured camp experience to offer.