You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ditched My Hated Edea's  (Read 25531 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Re: Ditched My Hated Edea's
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 04:20:08 PM »
Oh! You are right.

But Edea uses a different definition of "heat mold" than most people. They are only talking about the presence of memory foam (maybe like is used in a memory foam mattress or pillow) that is only molded by body heat.

The quote is here, specifically

"DO NOT HEAT EDEA BOOTS: it can seriously damage the boot... Edea paddings are made of Memory foam, and simply require body temperature to adapt their shape."

Klingbeil tried heat moldable padding on my skates, when they rebuilt them 5 or 6 years ago. It didn't help much, and soon became permanently stiff and crumbly in the wrong shape. I wonder if Edea's memory foam is better than what Klingbeil tried at that time.

How do people feel about Edea's memory foam??

Interesting. I was talking to a coach/ fitter at a recent comp and he said one of the things he likes about Edea boots is how customizable they are and I thought he said something about heat molding...the type of molding that twokidsskatemom was referring to. That said, they are not for everyone. We are anxious to have dd try them out... ;)

Offline severina

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 03:55:20 PM »
Interesting. I was talking to a coach/ fitter at a recent comp and he said one of the things he likes about Edea boots is how customizable they are and I thought he said something about heat molding...the type of molding that twokidsskatemom was referring to. That said, they are not for everyone. We are anxious to have dd try them out... ;)

They are customizable.  I am a AA ball and AAA heel and I had my skates heat molded to squish the heel part closer together.  I am very flat footed and wear superfeet yellow inside the boots and they seem to be working great.  I had custom orthotics that I had in my harlicks that didn't work in my edeas but the superfeet are much nicer.

I love my edea skates.  I wish I can say the same about these new paramount blades I got.  They are the gold seal profile and are supposed to be like my gold seals but they feel nothing like them and I hate the way they feel.  I'm about to go back to gold seals.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 02:48:31 PM »
I am wanting to try the yellow super feet insoles too. That may be next on the agenda! We heat molded them Edeas last night. Hopefully she will see a difference today. :)

Offline severina

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 04:03:46 PM »
update.. i took out my superfeet insoles.  They were hurting my arches even more than the edea without the superfeets.  I'm back to wearing no insole except the edea one that has a little bit of shape to it.  It's not the best, but it's better than any other insole I've tried.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 10:40:28 PM »
I went back to the shop where I got my Jacksons to get the heels tightened up, and it did help some, but the shop is busy and no one wants to sit there pressing my heels in for 15 minutes, so I asked a friend to go back with me the following week.  The heels are now tighter, but I think I may get a split width next time.  Also, I have already creased the ankles a bit.  I'm probably going to the PSA Conference next year, and will take advantage of the professional discount to maybe move up a level in boot and get the split width.  For now, I'm very happy to be able to skate and work pain free, and it is absolutely worth it, even if I only get one year out of the boots.  I love the blades!
My glass is half full :)

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2013, 05:48:02 PM »
Oh dear. I am not a fan of any of the  heat moldable boots, no matter what the hype is. They're a gimmick that allows the manufacturer to make the boots cheaply yet sell them at a premium under the guise of "new technology." Pro shops love them because the markup on those boots is huge, so of course they're going to push them more than the traditional Harlicks, Klingbeils, or SP Teris. (Last I checked, pro shops make about $200 for a pair of high-end Jacksons yet only about $50 for traditional brands. Gee--what ones are they going to give people the good sales pitch on?? Hmmm?) Plastic will never mold to your feet like leather no matter what they say. And even if they mold when you're standing still, they become solid again and you need not only front-to-back ankle flexibility, but a little lateral ankle flex as well. And they smell. I went through the gamut of these boots from Risport to Jackson, all of which I hated, after wearing Harlick customs for years. I thought I could get off cheap because at the time I didn't have the money for another pair of Harlicks and the guy at the pro shop sounded oh-so-knowledgable and nice. What a sales pitch he gave me! Well, I ended up going through more dreadful skates and spending more money than if I just had gotten the Harlicks to begin with. These days I use custom Klingbeils--although I'm still a fan of Harlick and SP Teri. Yes, everyone's feet are different and different brands work better for some skaters, but I am convinced that all-leather custom boots are the way to go. This way, I can get the strength I want (not very strong) in a fit that works for me. What I like about Klingbeil is that I can just go to the factory and they'll make any adjustment I need. (Yes, I do realize that this won't work for people who aren't in the Northeast, but the service can't be beat, even if you have to send them in.)

So for those who are loathing their Jacksons, Edeas, Risports, Grafs, and the like, you may want to consider getting a custom Harlick, SP Teri, or Klingbeil. The higher initial price will be more than worth it because it will save you headaches and money later on.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2013, 05:57:13 PM »
Robin I totally agree about the heat-molding - it is a stupid gimmick.

I only have had one pair of them and am too cheap to go for the leather again but you will always see me complaining about those damn boots LOL

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2013, 07:42:16 PM »
Robin I totally agree about the heat-molding - it is a stupid gimmick.

I only have had one pair of them and am too cheap to go for the leather again but you will always see me complaining about those damn boots LOL

Haha!

Seriously, though. The heat molding is a way for manufacturers to make mass-produced boots cheaply yet claim to have better fit--and NOT pass the savings on to the consumer. Contrary to popular belief, Klingbeil, Harlick, and SP Teri are not priced out of the market. Instead, the other manufacturers are pricing their skates to be similar. Stock Harlicks are the same price as Graf Edmonton Specials--and the Grafs look like they should be sold at Walmart because they're constructed so cheaply.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2013, 08:59:13 PM »
Instead of bashing specific boot makers in like 80 different threads, why not accept the notion that not all boots work for everyone, and it's nice that we have options?

In the past I've worn SP Teri, Harlick (used), Klingbeil (used), Risport, and Jackson, and I'm happiest in my Jacksons because they work very well for my feet.  I fully respect that they don't work for you, but I also haven't found anything else that works as well for me.   You say they're more expensive and that retailers make more of a profit - sure, I guess, if you pay full retail... but buying online (I am certain of my size and non-stock options that I order) I spent several hundred dollars less on my Jacksons than I could have spent on a similar level pair of Harlick or SP Teri.

I don't fully think heat molding is a gimmick.  I think it can be, the way that it's sold as the "solution" for many boot problems - because it can't do that, but what it can do is greatly reduce break in time and potential for injury relating to break in (bleeding, blisters, possible infection, not to mention joint complications like bursas, etc).

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 12:20:41 AM »
Instead of bashing specific boot makers in like 80 different threads, why not accept the notion that not all boots work for everyone, and it's nice that we have options?

In the past I've worn SP Teri, Harlick (used), Klingbeil (used), Risport, and Jackson, and I'm happiest in my Jacksons because they work very well for my feet.  I fully respect that they don't work for you, but I also haven't found anything else that works as well for me.   You say they're more expensive and that retailers make more of a profit - sure, I guess, if you pay full retail... but buying online (I am certain of my size and non-stock options that I order) I spent several hundred dollars less on my Jacksons than I could have spent on a similar level pair of Harlick or SP Teri.

I don't fully think heat molding is a gimmick.  I think it can be, the way that it's sold as the "solution" for many boot problems - because it can't do that, but what it can do is greatly reduce break in time and potential for injury relating to break in (bleeding, blisters, possible infection, not to mention joint complications like bursas, etc).

Because bashing is so much more fun, that's why!  :D  Besides, I'm not bashing; I'm pointing out the economic motivation for the promotion of such boots by manufacturers and skate shop owners.

That and I'm a cynic. I've also used them. 

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2013, 01:29:57 AM »
I went through the gamut of these boots from Risport to Jackson, all of which I hated, after wearing Harlick customs for years. 

Those Harlicks probably molded your feet, so nothing else could ever be comfortable  :P

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2013, 07:41:49 AM »
I must respectfully disagree with Robin.  I purchased my last pair of SP Teris in 2008 after being fitted by George Spiteri.  Although I was very specific as to my concerns during the fitting process, I still got a pair of expensive leather boots that didn't fit right.  And what's worse is that when I told him my custom boots didn't fit right, his first reaction was to ask who fit me so he could blame that person!  I have had a much better fit with my Jacksons than I ever did with SP Teri.

Offline severina

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2013, 02:06:03 PM »
I must also respectfully disagree. I have had my Edeas now for a year.  I got used to them and the arch pain went away with no need for any other insoles other than the Edea anatomic.  I will never wear Harlicks again, and I grew up on Harlick customs.  I love my Edea Concerto, and heat molding is not a gimmick.  I have narrow feet and had to have mine heat molded.  They are perfect.  I will get Ice Flys next.  I just landed my first double lutz in 18+ years and am working on a double axel on the harness. 

The moment I went from harlick customs to Edea my skating went from barely landing double loops to almost all of my doubles within 4-6 months of switching. 

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2013, 01:41:58 PM »
I think high-level skaters can adjust to anything; I've heard stories about double axels on rentals.  I think your experience is typical of that situation.
You could have gotten any brand skate and done well, as long as it was well-fitted.

For skaters with podiatric issues (orthotics, arch supports, etc.) a very-flat insole that provides no cushioning can be painful. 
I've also heard complaints about Edeas being very cold to wear because of the thin insole.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline ronniev

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2014, 01:12:05 AM »
severina,

how hard was it to heat mold? did you do it yourself? my issue is that the area around the Achilles is pretty loose. I don't want to screw up my boots, but I do want to see if I can take care of it myself. any pointers?

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2014, 05:19:04 PM »
So I know I'm very late to this thread, but seeing as I had absolutely NO intentions of ever considering EDEA's, I think I may have possibly been persuaded :) my coach, also one of my good friends, recently bought the Ice Fly's with Pattern 99 blades. We are about the same size so yesterday we switched skates and I tried them out for a few minutes. Granted I didn't try much in them, and I honestly think it was more due to the difference in blade, I was surprisingly shocked at how comfortable they were!! I have honestly never skated in skates that comfortable, and I was also shocked at well I could bend in them! :)  I'm definitely due for new boots, mine have just about had it and now I'm actually considering buying the same model. I know everyone has had horror stories for all kinds of boot brands out there, not all work for everyone but I'm finding it interesting reading about other forum members stories and experience with EDEA. Anyone else have any other experiences either positive or negative? Thanks!  ;)

Offline ice.idk

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • I'd rather be skating
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2015, 01:24:44 PM »
I know that edeas's are are made for a certain foot. They do come in different widths but when you order something other theb the standard width they come as a special order and are non returnable. The way edea hear molds them is with high power hair dryers not in the oven technique because that will melt the skate. From what I've heard and experienced you either love Edea or hate them. When I was at skate US the guy there said that they are made for a certain foot type/shape, even if you get a wider width they are still made for a certain foot. Just like jacksons or riedells aren't for everyone. No one skate will ever work for everyone.
I personally love edeas's but riedells will always hold a special place in my heart
Hope is the only thing stronger than fear

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2015, 11:01:58 AM »
After having been in Jackson for the last 4 years, I'm switching to Edeas in three weeks (after I finish my test). My fitter ordered them in before I made a commitment to buy because he wants to make sure people love them. I was sold the second they went on my feet. The only downside is I have to buy a new blade because my 9.5's are sitting off the back of the boot.

My friend switched to them and is in love, but her friend switched to them and is iffy. I don't think it's a skate for everyone, but I'm optimistic because I'm already in love with them.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2015, 11:50:06 AM »
They do come in different widths but when you order something other theb the standard width they come as a special order and are non returnable.

AFAICT from their web site, they are not available in other than one standard width and shape for each size. (It's called a "European Last", or an "Italian Last" shape, thin throughout the length of the foot - common among many Italian-made shoes. It is one of the reasons some people love Italian shoes, and others don't.)

I think it is the distributor or dealer that changes the Edea width with the hair drier, rather than the manufacturer. David Rippon, a U.S. distributor who sometimes travels to competitions to do fittings, is very well known for being expert at this. But even he said that my feet, with substantially wider toes than heel, and shorter than average toes, could not be accommodated in Edeas (a Riedel factory rep said the same about their boots), though that was partly because I was about halfway between sizes.

If you love lightweight boots, other manufacturers, like Harlick, make them too. A technician told me that the lightest Harlicks are slightly lighter. Many people say ultra-light boots are said not to last as long, which makes sense, but it is possible you spend a lot more on lessons and ice than boots.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2015, 03:05:24 PM »
They have the standard "C" width that is carried at different shops, but I found out recently that they do have a "D" width available, but you have to order from Italy. (Only know because my fitter sent a tracing of my foot to someone that works with David to see if going one width bigger would be better or if the standard can be stretched enough for my feet. He doesn't think I need the D but wants to be sure).

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2015, 06:19:22 AM »
Haha!

Seriously, though. The heat molding is a way for manufacturers to make mass-produced boots cheaply yet claim to have better fit--and NOT pass the savings on to the consumer. Contrary to popular belief, Klingbeil, Harlick, and SP Teri are not priced out of the market. Instead, the other manufacturers are pricing their skates to be similar. Stock Harlicks are the same price as Graf Edmonton Specials--and the Grafs look like they should be sold at Walmart because they're constructed so cheaply.

I agree wholeheartedly with this - I had Graf Edmonton Specials, overpriced garbage that tore up my feet and fell apart.  After that experience I am a firm believer in getting true custom boots. I wouldn't touch Edeas myself.

Your feet are worth it folks!

Offline Bercana

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2015, 10:45:13 PM »
There's some misinformation in this thread.

• Edea's CAN be spot-shaped with a hair dryer. And it's not rocket science. I've done it with no training. Just be careful.
  • Edea's should NOT be baked with the whole skate in an oven otherwise the whole boot could lose it's shape.
  • Edea's use of memory foam is a completely separate feature from the "heat-moulding" feature... not that same thing.
  • Traditional leather boots use a layer of ABS plastic for heat-moulding sandwiched inside thick layers of leather. Edea boots are made of a fabric and resin composite with a micro-thin layer of leather on the outside for aesthetics (thin as a tissue). So with an Edea you're softening and reshaping 99% of the material rather than a plastic layer sandwiched inside thick leather. That's why you need to be more careful with Edea and only reshape small areas. But I would GUESS it also means the reshaping holds better.

As for the original poster... it's interesting for sure. Everyone is different. I absolutely LOVE my Edea boots and have never had to use gel sleeves or special insoles or any other add-ons. And they were super comfortable from day one. I didn't even really have to break them in. They felt a touch tight in one spot during the first skate but that went away by the second skate. However my Jackson's before that were a nightmare and killed me and I DID need gel sleeves and inserts... etc. And I wore them for months before they even started to break in. So... YMMV :)