You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Breathing problems  (Read 4474 times)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Breathing problems
« on: February 05, 2012, 01:21:56 PM »
Has anyone had any breating problems after a chest infection when skating? I've had a couple of occasions where I've struggled to breath at the rink. Worst is after running a program.
I'm just wondering whether this is just normal for after a chest infection or whether I need to follow up with the doctor and get checked out for asthma. There's no asthma in the family, and I'm not having problems at any other time other than after chest infections and I don't remember ever having a chest infection until recently.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Breathing problems
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 01:44:13 PM »
Could it be the cold?  Does it happen outside when you're exercising in the winter?

Probably only a physician can make an assessment. I don't know what you mean by 'chest infections' either.

WHich one of these did you have?

Upper respiratory tract infection
Lower respiratory tract infection
Bronchitis
Pneumonia
Pleurisy

All of these are pretty serious. I would expect some recovery time would be required.

If it's something like pneumonia, "Fatigue and a persistent, but milder, cough can last for up to one month, although most people are able to resume their usual activities within seven days. Patients treated in the hospital may require three weeks or more to resume normal activities."
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 03:24:37 PM »
The physicians over here don't distinguish between what type of chest infection it is unless you're admitted to hospital in which case it's generally pneumonia! I suspect it's viral bronchitis.

It probably is just recovery and I'm slightly impatient because I'm a pretty poor patient (and it doesn't fit in with my current plans).

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
I would call the doctor.  It sounds like you may not have fully recovered.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 07:18:58 PM »
Yep... GPs here don't usually call it anything more specific than a "chest infection" unless you need to go into hospital with it!

It most likely is the tail end of your chest infection. (The infection and resulting inflammation can take a while to fully resolve - longer than you think!) If your breathing isn't the same as normal (especially if this symptom is a recent development) then I'd get it checked out by your doctor just in case.

I have an inhaler that I only need to use when I have a chesty cough and / or a chest infection and am a bit wheezy. I only need it a handful of times a year...

Take it easy if you've been ill! ;)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 03:58:41 AM »
Yep... GPs here don't usually call it anything more specific than a "chest infection" unless you need to go into hospital with it!

It most likely is the tail end of your chest infection. (The infection and resulting inflammation can take a while to fully resolve - longer than you think!) If your breathing isn't the same as normal (especially if this symptom is a recent development) then I'd get it checked out by your doctor just in case.

I have an inhaler that I only need to use when I have a chesty cough and / or a chest infection and am a bit wheezy. I only need it a handful of times a year...

Take it easy if you've been ill! ;)

OK, you've just told me I'm normal and it's just general recovery. It's just really poorly timed as I've three tests in two weeks. I'm touch and go whether I'm fit enough to take them. Two of the tests will be fine as long as I pace myself. It's the program I worry about. It's just knowing when to use the inhaler to get maximum benefit! Only having this problem once a year means that I'm pretty poor at understanding when to take the inhaler even with reading the instructions!

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 07:02:18 AM »
I'm not a doctor... simply someone who has mild asthma which is only really triggered these days by having a bad cold / chest infection! :P Your should discuss your symptoms & treatment with a medical professional who has access to your medical history... :)

Your GP or one of the nurses at your practice (if there is a nurse led asthma management clinic) will be able to help - possibly via a phone appointment since you have already been prescribed an inhaler. NHS Direct (England & Wales) / NHS 24 (Scotland) or possibly a pharmacist (depending on what part of taking your meds you are not sure about?) may be able to give you advice too.

If you are too ill to test then if you get a Dr's cert you shouldn't loose your test fees according to the back of the test form.

I hope you feel better soon! :-*

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 09:10:28 AM »
I'm not a doctor... simply someone who has mild asthma which is only really triggered these days by having a bad cold / chest infection! :P Your should discuss your symptoms & treatment with a medical professional who has access to your medical history... :)

Your GP or one of the nurses at your practice (if there is a nurse led asthma management clinic) will be able to help - possibly via a phone appointment since you have already been prescribed an inhaler. NHS Direct (England & Wales) / NHS 24 (Scotland) or possibly a pharmacist (depending on what part of taking your meds you are not sure about?) may be able to give you advice too.

If you are too ill to test then if you get a Dr's cert you shouldn't loose your test fees according to the back of the test form.

I hope you feel better soon! :-*

Don't worry, I've been to see the doctor. And as I haven't currently been diagnosed with asthma it's something they want to investigate when I'm better. But given that you've had chest infections that linger, I'm happy that I'm still within a reasonable recovery time (I'm just impatient, I want it to be a 5 day illness and then all better).
And while NISA say you won't lose your fees by getting a Doctors certificate, you've still got to pay for the doctor's certificate (and get the appointment and the time off work to go to the appointment). It's a lot of hassle. But if I'm not up to testing then so be it...

I'm currently crossing fingers that it'll just all come together in time.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 05:19:42 PM »
The problem is, "breathing problems" have many possible causes.

I've known people who had skating-related allergy problems, attributed to mold. (Almost any surface on which water condenses can grow mold. Add a few hot lights, and conditions are perfect for growing mold.)

They say it varies a lot by rink, and by season. But it should be worst in the summer - some rinks don't have good dehumidifiers.

An outdoor rink might actually have fewer problems, because they get better ventilation.

---

As a separate issue, I got a little sick in a rink which I think uses a gasoline powered Zamboni, when I was there most of a day. Depending on the condition of the Zamboni (and edger, if used) and how much they ventilate the rink, you can get fairly high levels of Carbon Monoxide (CO). Some fire departments and county health departments are willing to test public buildings for safe CO levels.

A natural gas powered Zamboni could create significant CO too, but only if it was poorly cared for. I guess (no data to support this) an electric Zamboni could create significant Ozone (O3), if it was in incredibly poor condition - but that is mostly only a problem for people with asthma.

---

:) Really, really tight clothing could create problems too.