You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: how do you protect your skates during training  (Read 1403 times)

Offline marc

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 64
how do you protect your skates during training
« on: May 18, 2023, 01:36:13 PM »
I've been thinking about this for a while now.
I imagine a leather protection with one or more quick fasteners

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: how do you protect your skates during training
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 02:01:00 PM »
I don't know about leather protectors, but there are various types of boot covers. Some are just a very thin stretchable fabric (e.g., Lycra), which limits somewhat how much protection they give. Sold in many pro shops, and on-line. But I was taught that ice dancers should push the underfoot in crossed positions to the point that part of the top of the boot slides against the ice. It does protect against that pretty well, though eventually they wear out. But my boots are old enough, and scratched enough, that I mostly don't care now.

Some boot covers have been thicker neoprene. It has an additional plus - or minus, depending on how cold your feet get, and how much they sweat, and other comfort issues - that it keeps your feet warmer.

But of course, if you are training to have very close feet (sometimes called neat feet), anything thick could get in the way. Even with the thin stretchable Lycra and boot covers, I sometimes have caught the blade on one - but I guess it could catch just as easily on the boot.

Since leather doesn't stretch as easily, it would be harder to make fit. But if you are good at working with leather, or know someone who is, I don't see why you couldn't try.

BTW, some people instead wrap their boots in removable tape. E.g., see https://geppettosskateshop.com/boottaping for a way of doing it that looks neat enough that you could maybe skate a program in it, and use it to change your skate color. Maybe avoid duct tape - it sticks too well.

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 11:44:06 PM »
I used the Ice Light Boot Gloves for a while.  They worked well.

Offline supersharp

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 73
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 11:01:27 PM »
Skate tape or electrical tape in areas with high wear is pretty helpful.