You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: A discussion: Skate choices  (Read 96 times)

Offline AlbaNY

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 129
A discussion: Skate choices
« on: May 05, 2024, 01:46:49 PM »
So, I have noticed some interesting differences in Germany compared to the US and Romania regarding the choice of skate colour and type.

In the US I saw a fair amount of tan skates (almost always on show skaters or coaches.)  Here and there some coaches had really fun bold coloured suede customs.  I think I saw three pair like that in person?  (Bright pink, purple, and bright blue.)
Otherwise, in person, I saw white on females and black on men.  Years ago I bought a recreational pair in black, I considered black for my customs, but found my beloved grey was an option after already deciding on white.
In Romania it was white for females and black for males, and I don’t think I even saw tan?

In Germany a lot of women have black skates.  I see one in a black pair basically every time I skate.  My own grey ones are the only “colourful” pair I’ve noticed yet too.  There are a lot of Edeas and Riedells around.
Another unusual thing is how frequently I see inline-type hockey skates/skating.  In-line type freestyle is super popular here.  Also, men very frequently figure skate (even dance and pairs) in hockey skates here.  Back in NY there was a figure skating coach in hockey skates, but it was just him I saw.  Here it seems 50/50 that the guy is in hockey blades.  I saw beautiful pair skating last week with the man on hockey blades.  I was talking to Coach Cheerful today, and she said that’s dangerous, but they seemed to be doing very well. 

I thought it would be fun to start a discussion.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: A discussion: Skate choices
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2024, 04:18:14 PM »
I'm thinking hard of using good hockey skates for this. I like the idea of not having a raised heel, or an upwards bend along the boot length.

Two days ago I tried to spin and jump on hockey skates, without removing the blades. I hate toe picks, but discovered I've become totally dependent on them, and basically couldn't. Also, I need to avoid backwards leans.

So I need to remove the blades (harder to do on some hockey skates than others, and I need to remove the rivets), and adding my figure blades.

But maybe my current blade length is too long without raised heels? Because to some extent, it is the vertically projected length of the foot that should matter to blade length.

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2024, 05:49:33 PM »
About 15 years ago, one of the male coaches here would switch back and forth between figure skates and hockey skates when he taught. He was a junior-level pairs skater who had competed nationally in the past.

For grins, he'd sometimes do a spin wearing his hockey skates in a freestyle session. I guess that if you have talent, anything is possible.
Bill Schneider

Offline AlbaNY

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 129
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2024, 02:30:07 AM »
Query, you might like them if you keep adjusting to the blades.  It doesn’t take too long to remember the lack of toe picks and curved tail.  The hardest part for me is to remember not to try stopping by dragging a toe pick when going backwards but to hockey stop instead. 
As for putting figure blades on that’s an interesting task.  I don’t know about adult sizes, but for kids it seems common to find hockey type boots with somewhat hybrid blades with a little toe pick.  You might like that?

Bill, what I see some of these guys doing is impressive.
The high level coach at my old rink could do pretty much anything in his hockey skates and probably doesn’t own a figure pair.  I’ve seen nice spins and jumps by guys in hockey skates quite often.  Then there are the handstands and other non-figure type stuff popular around here.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2024, 11:06:55 AM »
The hardest part for me is to remember not to try stopping by dragging a toe pick when going backwards but to hockey stop instead.

I use a backwards snow plow, pressing through my heels, so not a problem.

I vaguely remember it being against USFS rules to use hockey boots (or blades) for tests - is that out of date? I might try to pass USFS Pre-Bronze skating skills.

Perhaps composite hockey skates stink more than leather figure skates.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
Considering figure skate blades on hockey boots
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 10:30:01 PM »
I'm thinking hard of using good hockey skates for this. I like the idea of not having a raised heel, or an upwards bend along the boot length.

Two days ago I tried to spin and jump on hockey skates, without removing the blades. I hate toe picks, but discovered I've become totally dependent on them, and basically couldn't. Also, I need to avoid backwards leans.

So I need to remove the blades (harder to do on some hockey skates than others, and I need to remove the rivets), and adding my figure blades.

But maybe my current blade length is too long without raised heels? Because to some extent, it is the vertically projected length of the foot that should matter to blade length.

The person who runs the pro shop at Gardens Ice House in Laurel, MD, USA, pointed out to me today that hockey skates do have raised heels - in fact they have mostly been raised 3 cm higher than they used to be a few years ago. And they are roughly as high as figure skate heels. In the case of hockey skates, the "heel" is in the blade holder, rather than something that looks like a high heel, as in figure skates.

But where hockey and figure boot insole shapes differ is in the upwards bend near the ball of the foot. There is much less upwards bend in hockey boots.

Yesterday I bought used hockey boots: Bauer Vapor 500 model for $75, in very good condition, though the blade runners, which are easily replaced, have some wear. I showed them to him, and asked about heat molding - he said he would charge $50.

They only require 175 degrees F to heat mold - more or less achievable with some handheld hair driers.

I have previously been unwilling to use a regular home oven, because their temperature regulation is poor. But,
https://www.icewarehouse.com/lc/skates/how-to-bake-a-hockey-skate-at-home.html
points out a fix - use an oven thermometer, and insert the boots after turning the oven off. Page gives very detailed directions.

I didn't have time to ask what he would charge to remove rivets, or whether he carries the bolts and nuts that could hold figure blades on hockey boots.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 10:38:35 PM »
BTW that shop also fits custom figure skates from Jackson, Riedell, and Edea (he was trained by David Rippon to reshape Edeas); says Jackson custom skates only take 8 weeks (unlike Harlick's 1.5 years) and are cheaper, though they don't customize as much. He could look at my feet later to decide which brands I custom boots I could use.

BTW, Mike doesn't think dropping the raised heel is a good idea. But I have always hated them.

That shop did a truly awful job, about 20 years ago, of fitting my full custom Klingbeil boots. But it is under new management - Mike is the main guy's new name. The skate tech who messed mine up (and at least a dozen other people's that I know of) is long gone.

I've previously discussed these things in more general terms with the guy in charge of the pro shop at Bowie, and may also discuss them with they guy in charge at the pro shop at Ashburn, who has very good reviews.

But I would appreciate any comments you folks have on the reasons for the raised heel and the strong upwards bend, and on the idea of mounting figure blades on hockey boots.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2024, 11:26:43 PM »
This guy put figure blades on hockey boots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7yuz1Ccero

But he shimed the rear to create a raised heel. I might instead shim just so the surfaces match, but not raise the heel, or not as much.

I was thinking of using wood for shims, because it's cheap, light, widely available, easy to work, and accepts wood screws. But he cuts a hockey puck to shape, which is pretty cheap and widely available too, and is already black.