You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: A neat old USFSA pin.  (Read 3899 times)

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
A neat old USFSA pin.
« on: February 21, 2015, 08:16:57 PM »
Read about it here:  http://agingskater.blogspot.com/2015/02/unexpected-find.html

Can anyone add anything to the story?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: A neat old USFSA pin.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 11:37:06 PM »
It's just an older style pin (I am not sure how old, but that one is very tarnished).  I'm our club's current test chair and we have some of these in our inventory - most of them are dance pins at various levels, but I am pretty sure we have some intermediate freeskate pins in the same style as well.  These pins are typically given to skaters when they pass a test level (our club gives them to club members, but it gets expensive as skaters get to higher levels, so not all clubs do this) - they're not something the judges receive or wear.

I just pulled one from what I have (it's super shiny!), and the back is slightly different.... but you can clearly see the maker's mark.

Most of the pins seem to vary quite a lot over time - I have some preliminary dance pins that read "pre dance" and others that are "preliminary dance" - I personally hate that the patches say "pre dance" instead of spelling it out completely. 

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 11:43:36 PM »
I've seen some pins in the style of the OP that were made in the '80s.  I don't think they are that unusual although it might seem unusual to find that at yard sales, etc.

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 08:11:44 AM »
It's just an older style pin (I am not sure how old, but that one is very tarnished).  I'm our club's current test chair and we have some of these in our inventory - most of them are dance pins at various levels, but I am pretty sure we have some intermediate freeskate pins in the same style as well.  These pins are typically given to skaters when they pass a test level (our club gives them to club members, but it gets expensive as skaters get to higher levels, so not all clubs do this) - they're not something the judges receive or wear.

I just pulled one from what I have (it's super shiny!), and the back is slightly different.... but you can clearly see the maker's mark.

Most of the pins seem to vary quite a lot over time - I have some preliminary dance pins that read "pre dance" and others that are "preliminary dance" - I personally hate that the patches say "pre dance" instead of spelling it out completely.

Thanks Sarahspins and Icedancer.  Shiny is nice but I kinda like the worn patina of my "flea-bay" find. I was fairly confident that this was a pin awarded for completion of the three preliminary dances rather than a pin for test judges. From your comments I take it that these pins are still currently awarded?  Or is it a case that your rink still has old stock?  ISI gives out a cloth patch.  What is the progression of pins for ice dance?  If these pins are no longer issued by USFSA, when did they stop?  I've passed the DW under ISI and plan to test it soon with USFSA.  If I live long enough I might pass the other two dances and then feel justified in wearing this pin!  Until then it will be an interesting curio on my pin board.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 09:04:03 AM »
I remember collecting pins from various clubs back in the day (skaters would exchange at competitions).  I don't remember ever getting pins for passing USFSA tests (in my case that would have been patch, free and dance).  I had them on my club jacket. So I'm curious too if this is a club by club thing, or if I have a forgotten stash of those pins hidden somewhere in my parent's basement.....

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 01:38:44 PM »
Pins are still available from USFS, the style has just changed over the years. I personally prefer the old round pins (and the older "shield" shaped patches) but the current pins are the same rhombus shape as the patches and have a tie tack backing.  They are $8 each until the higher levels which are a different style entirely (bronze/novice is $18.50, silver/junior is $33, gold/senior is $150), compared to only $2.50 for a patch, which is why a lot of clubs don't give out the pins and only give out patches - the costs add up quickly.

At my club, we give out both a patch and a pin, except for moves tests - there are pins available for those (and individuals are free to order them from USFS - just go to the merchandise section after you log into the members only section of USFS) but we don't provide them to our skaters.

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 06:57:33 PM »
Thanks Sarah.  I saw my ice dance coach this afternoon and she also mentioned that one could still order pins directly from USFSA after test results were rec'd and recorded. I think a pin is nicer than a patch, but that's just me.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 08:23:50 PM »
Yes, you can order everything up to your current test level as an individual - so if your club doesn't provide pins, you can order your own.. you can do it from the merchandise link I mentioned in member's only, or there is a PDF order form posted somewhere on USFS's public side if you hunt for it :)