You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How to get into shape  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Leif

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 2
How to get into shape
« on: May 12, 2017, 06:26:12 AM »
I skate regularly, but my aged body is not very supple. I cannot (yet) do the spreadeagle although stretching is helping me edge closer. What do people here recommend to get more supple? Is yoga good? Gym? Anything else? Incidentally I'm a hockey skater, but agility is important even though I won't be doing jumps and aerobatics.

Offline Leif

• Zamboni Driver
Re: How to get into shape
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 08:22:38 AM »
Looks like you do not need to do additional exercise ...  :)

Offline Jf12

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 08:25:57 AM »
If you want to do a spread eagle, make sure you're getting that turnout from the hips and not the knees.  You can do the frog stretch in yoga, or google other hip opener stretches.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 11:10:42 AM »
And not everyone will be able to achieve a spread eagle or Ina Bauer position.  If you have extremely closed hips, it isn't going to happen.  I think yoga and pilates (you can get DVDs, don't have to go to a class) are good for flexibility and strength in your core.   You can find stretching DVDs as well but be careful not to overstretch.

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
    • Skating Experience Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 12:40:21 PM »
As an adult who just got back into skating recently, Ive plenty of advice to offer. For me, getting in shape has been a variety of things though I can stress that the #1 way to get into shape for skating, is to skate. Get on that ice as often as you can and push until you are ready to collapse! ^_^

Outside of the rink however. Ive found a combination of hitting the gym (With skater based exercise routines i found online), Ballet, and yoga. Have all done wonders for getting into skating shape. And as much as it sucks, proper nutrition makes a great difference in energy levels and weight which can affect your skating.

Pm me if you ever need some advice.

Also, Sk8Strong has some awesome adult skating exercise stuff.
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline Leif

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 02:38:27 AM »
Thanks all. I might try yoga at a local venue, it can't do any harm. I am hoping I can get the spread eagle. Already my hips are more open as a result of constant stretching, pushing the upper legs and not the knees, I don't want to damage my knees. I am hoping this lack of 'open hips' business is due to the musculature, and lack of stretch over the years, rather than the shape of the pelvis. If so, stretching will eventually do it, it might take a year or two, but that's fine. I've heard someone who thought they would never do it, did manage it eventually.