You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: The Problem with Tights  (Read 14333 times)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: The Problem with Tights
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 06:13:59 AM »
I wear women's size 12 skates, and Nita are literally the first otb that didn't rip or get overstretched the first time I wore them. Mondor always would get holes or rips the first time because they didn't stretch enough.

And I got the large/x-large and they fit well. They stretch a lot, and didn't dig in at the waist. I'm 5'9 and overweight. So take it how you will.

Thanks. I think I'm going to have to work out how to ship to the UK now. If I can hang on, I can pick them up from the US next time I'm over on business. Someone remind me in a couple of months! Shame I won't be able to get any before the next competition.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 11:23:12 AM »
FWIW I wear a size 9 skate.  Mondor Evolution (I sport the L) are stretchy enough to cover the boot, no prob.  I've gotten 4 wears out of them, they have one sewn up run, and I plan to use them through this season (so at least 2 more performances).

Praying my synchro team switches to footed (or better...footless!) tights for next year.......

In terms of the waistband, I swear when I first joined the forum and was reading through various threads, I saw somewhere someone talking about cutting off the waistband and replacing it with one that is lycra.  I don't have time to look now, but I'd start in the DIY threads.

Having said that, it'd sure be a heckuva lot easier if Nita made the tights in more than just one color.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 05:33:30 PM »
Something to consider is that lighter tights can be dyed darker fairly easily, while those of us with fairer skin often have very limited options unless we want to look like our legs are 20 shades darker than the rest of our body.

Also, in regards to fit - some people are just super picky and routinely size up when they shouldnt "need" to - I see skaters at my rink all the time wearing dresses that are literally 2 or 3 sizes too big because they feel like what should fit is "too tight" even when it's clearly not.  Someone at 5'2" and 135lbs saying the large is "too small" is probably one of those types.

Offline Jenna

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 06:51:21 PM »
I ordered 2 pairs of tights from RedSwan in Milk (Mondor brand sand color) and Latte (Nita brand).  In makeup foundation, I've always used the fair shades with pink undertones, as yellow undertones make me look washed out and ill.  I was hoping that the warm undertones of the Nita brand would be more suited to my skin tone.

The footed tights is the Mondor brand and the footless is the Nita brand.  Now all I need to do if find footless tights in Sand, as I always wear 2 pairs of tights to skate in.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 08:45:12 PM »
In the picture I prefer the Mondor. But if you are skating in a yellow, cerise, or gold costume, the Nita brand would be better.

Undertones are important. For example, there's blue based reds vice yellow based reds.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2015, 08:48:50 PM »
The picture quality on my laptop is shockingly bad so I know I'm not seeing the true colors, however the Nita tights look very similar to my Mondor suntans and I agree with Agnes that the Mondor looks better. Interestingly I have never seen the Sand option in the stores I've visited.

Offline Jenna

• Dust Bunny Hopping
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 09:23:22 PM »
Christy, I thought the same thing when I put on the Nita tights.  The Mondors that RedSwan sells are shimmer tights, which makes me worry that will accentuate what I don't like about my legs.  I'm curious what the Chloe Noel tights look like, since they were also in the milk category as the OTB option.  I wish Mondor would sell directly from their website.  It seems like shops only carry Suntan and a few sell Light Tan, even though Mondor makes other shades beyond that. 

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2015, 01:22:27 AM »
I find the suntan tights that everyone seems to stock hilarious.  I have yet to see someone who looks like they belong in them.  On me, because I'm so pale, they look absolutely ridiculous.  I ordered in through a catalogue at my pro shop and had to buy three at a time, but she got me a lighter colour.  I believe they're mondor.  So they exist, but you've pretty much got to ask specifically for a different colour and have them brought in.  I haven't seen them online either.  Lots of people I know wear dance tights to compete in because they look less terrible.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2015, 08:17:17 AM »
In terms of the waistband, I swear when I first joined the forum and was reading through various threads, I saw somewhere someone talking about cutting off the waistband and replacing it with one that is lycra.

Loops, that was probably me - here's a link to the old post (I hope this works):

http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=1077.msg9487#msg9487

Would love it if the Nita ones don't roll and actually stretch comfortably without digging in, as that would save me the work of switching out the waistbands of my tights!

Offline Jenna

• Dust Bunny Hopping
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2015, 08:40:51 AM »
For comparison sake, here's the Sand Mondors, the Nitas and the Suntan Mondors, since the Nitas still looked dark on my ghost skin tone.

The Nitas do have about an inch smaller waistband, but I've always cut my tights along the back seam 1-2 inches and folded the down over my hip bones after one of our coaches mentioned that that's what she did.  The waist band is under the skirt then, so anything you might see is hidden.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2015, 10:09:48 AM »
Does anyone have a size chart for the Nita footed tights?  My ancient Danskin microfiber (size D) aren't going to last much longer but I've been unable to find replacements that fit my stocky, peasant body.  :)

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2015, 10:50:20 AM »
Has anyone ever used capezio skating tights? I was in the dance store for something else yearerday and they had footed and OTB. The OTB were so different from the Mondor. No hooks, just an opening with elastic around it. Curious if anyone has a review.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2015, 10:58:47 AM »
Has anyone ever used capezio skating tights? I was in the dance store for something else yearerday and they had footed and OTB. The OTB were so different from the Mondor. No hooks, just an opening with elastic around it. Curious if anyone has a review.

One of my skating buddies has tights this type of closure.  I would say avoid like the plague.  It stays over her toe, rides up the heel, and then makes a straightline across the boot joining those two places- showing the foot of the skate at weird angles.  I continually want to pull them down for her.  If you look at Adelina Sotikova's free skate for sochi and Europeans her tights did the same thing and got notably worse after she held the skate.  It made me cringe.  If you really have to wear OTB tights, then hooks or velcro are a good thing.

On the other hand, I've worn lots of Capezio tights in my day (just not the OTB kind), and they're good quality.  You can always stitch on some little hooks and eyes to avoid the weird ride-up.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2015, 11:59:19 AM »
Ugh, ride-up was what I was thinking about. They're just for my kids, not me. If I were ever to need skating tights I would wear regular footed ones. Of course what I was hoping to find were footless, because they need those for a show. But then I was curious about the OTB since the lack of closure seemed odd. The suntan color also looked darker than Mondor, which isn't a good thing for their skin tone.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2015, 12:28:42 PM »
I've Capezio footed which are actually really nice tights. A really really weird shade of orange for me, but great tights. Nice fit and feel comfy and warm (I skate in a really cold rink).

Offline saje

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2015, 07:16:10 PM »
I haven't worn Capezio OTB recently, but I did as a teenager when I competed and I LOVED them.  The "normal" shade is really orange, but you used to be able to order a lighter shade that was much more flattering.  I especially liked them because the part that goes over the boot was actually two layers.  This was great if you nicked the tights with your blade because you could fuss around with the tights so the hole wouldn't show. (Not sure if that makes sense).  And mine had hooks on the bottom - heavy duty ones at that.  I always found them preferable to Mondor.

Edited to add: I checked out the Capezio website. The description of the OTB tights says: "elasticized opening fits securely over the skate boot" - so sounds like they no longer include hooks.  Boo!

Edited again: Found an old pair that I still had from 8-ish years ago.  Pics below of the heavy-duty hooks.  I also tried to pull apart the two layers that go over the boot.  Sad that they stopped making them this way - they were a great style of tights!
Current Skating Projects:
-Intermediate MITF (still...)
-Double toes + double loops
-Getting my camel back

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2015, 08:29:16 PM »
Wow, those are totally different from what I saw in the store. The person working there took the foot out of the package for me and it was definitely one layer with no hooks. Funny, because we talked about how easily they get holes and she even said they should make them with a double layer!

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2015, 08:37:54 PM »
Does anyone have a size chart for the Nita footed tights?  My ancient Danskin microfiber (size D) aren't going to last much longer but I've been unable to find replacements that fit my stocky, peasant body.  :)

The sizing chart is on their website - it's a tiny tab next to where it says "description" underneath each of their tights on the product pages.

Not sure if linking the image will work, but I'll try it:

Not sure if it helps, but the OTB only seem to come in large, no x-large option, and while I am about 5lbs above the "weight" range for the large, they fit me fine - if anything the waistband comes up way too high on me (well above my natural waist - NOWHERE near what it looks like on the models in their pictures), which leads me to suspect they're actually too big - and they definitely fit looser (well, less snugly) than my mondor xl's do (though this may be in part due to the differences between the waistbands - the narrow elastic on the mondors makes them seem so much tighter all over, and the nita's don't have that, but the wider knit waistband stays in place just fine).  When I need tights again I might try the medium.

Super happy with the color - they are SIGNIFICANTLY better looking on me than the light tan mondors - those always looked weirdly grey/pink on me, but I have warm undertones to my very fair skin so the nita's are a much better match for me :)  They ARE darker than my skin is though, but I am not sure I'd really want tights that are an exact match - they'd be much too pale out on the ice. 

Offline saje

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2015, 10:22:13 PM »
Wow, those are totally different from what I saw in the store. The person working there took the foot out of the package for me and it was definitely one layer with no hooks. Funny, because we talked about how easily they get holes and she even said they should make them with a double layer!

Thanks for verifying they are no longer the same!  I've been contemplating purchasing a new pair when (if) I test.  I definitely won't be doing that now since Capezio is no longer producing tights with hooks and two layers.
Current Skating Projects:
-Intermediate MITF (still...)
-Double toes + double loops
-Getting my camel back

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2015, 07:55:32 PM »
So, another interesting quandary to add regarding mondor tights.  If you scour the internet, you'll notice that some of their OTB tights describe themselves as having a knitted waistband, while others state sewn on... I commonly see the 3350's described with a knitted wasitband, while all 6 of the pairs I currently have are sewn in.  The 3338's are described with a sewn-in waistband, while the two pairs I have... are knitted!

So frustrating :)  Also, has anyone tried Mondors new Caramel color?  I'm almost ready to order some of those just to check them out.. except for the issue of the waistband, since I'd prefer knitted.  I might just see if my pro shop will order some in so I can take a look at them :)

BTW, an update for my Nita Sports tights, since I wore them for a performance a couple of weeks ago - they looked great, EXCEPT... I had a hard time getting the bottom edge to stay in place where I wanted it on my skates, they are a lot "looser" around the bottom than the mondors are, so they kept slipping up over my boot almost to my ankle, which is a problem since I wear colored boots - and I didn't really feel like my tights were too short and pulling on them, it's more that the elastic on the bottoms is just not snug enough to keep them in place.  For someone with big feet that might not be an issue - and you'd certainly not have the problem where they don't stretch far enough. I think I'll be adding some extra elastic around the "heel" portion to hopefully help with that.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2015, 11:16:20 PM »
Another update... since I had to buy some new tights for my daughter because hers mysteriously developed a rather large hole on her thigh (I suspect she was picking at them in the car or something the last time she wore them), I went ahead and ordered some Mondors in their new "caramel" color, and guess what, Mondor's "Caramel" color is almost identical to the Nita Sports color.  I ordered another pair in caramel for myself, and still, even though 3338's are described with a sewn elastic waist, that pair came with a knitted waistband too (which is what I prefer, so not a problem at all).

I really like the color - it's definitely warmer (but a bit darker) than the light tan, but still significantly lighter than suntan.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2015, 10:15:28 AM »
Thank you for the report on the new Mondor 'Caramel' color, Sarahspins!