You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Has anyone tried EDEA Overtures?  (Read 2232 times)

Offline amandascw

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
  • Freeskate 3
Has anyone tried EDEA Overtures?
« on: February 05, 2016, 02:50:43 PM »
Thinking about purchasing these boots. Has anyone tried them? If so, please tell me what you think and what level you were/are. Im currently in usfsa Freeskate 3, I compete, I skate about 2 hrs and 40 min a week, do you think they would work for me? What kind of feet are they for? (for example Risport is for narrow feet). Thanks!
sk8 obsessed

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
Re: Has anyone tried EDEA Overtures?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 11:40:02 AM »
Edea has worked very well my for daughter who has a wide ball/narrow heel. The key with Edea is finding a really good skate tech unless you have a standard foot shape that needs no adjustments. If you talk to Josh, the tech at Skates US, he is helpful in finding a tech near you.

My daughter tried Overtures, wasn't fit properly, had problems, so we dumped them. We decided to give Edea another shot a year later and made a long drive to a good fitter. He put her in Ice Flies, set them up really well, and taught me how to manipulate them. We're currently waiting on a pair that are a wider width to come in since she outgrew hers.

Overtures may or may not be enough boot depending on your age/weight. Edeas work differently then standard boots - you can't overboot. We went up to the ice fly because my daughter has foot issues and they are the most comfortable for her. She skates pre-pre test track and averages 8-12 hours/week. We will be listing hers on the for sale section of skating forums as soon as her new pair come in  :)

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 11:42:42 AM »
I see you are on the East coast, I'm sure the main Edea reps will be a Worlds in Boston and it might be a really good time to go for a fitting if it isn't too far from you. Plus, they offer show discounts. Just an idea if you can wait until March.

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 90
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 03:30:36 PM »
I recently got Edea Chorus, which is one step up in stiffness from Overture.  Overall, I've been pleased with them.  They are a little hard to keep tied tightly, so I got the Edea "lace straps" and that helps.  If you look around the internet, this is not an uncommon problem.  My heel is relatively "average," but the front of my feet are a little wide.  I was previously very well fitted in Jacksons (no punching out needed) and found Riedell a little narrow in the toe area (but ok).   With the Chorus, my heel felt fine, and the ball a little tight initially, but after molding with a heat gun by the fitter they opened up and were more or less perfect.   

I skate between 2-6 hours a week, depending. I do single jumps and work on axel.   I've only had the skates since December so I can't comment on breakdown.  But there was virtually no break-in period - comfy from day one.  However, Edea takes a shorter blade than most boots (than for instance, my old Jacksons) and that took me a bit to adjust to (it also meant I had to invest in a new pair of blades).  The fitter did have me try on Concerto and Ice Fly too.  The Concerto felt too stiff (if I remember correctly), and I did like the Ice Fly, but as the Chorus felt good too, I decided to save the money. 

I second the advice to find a good fitter - try on a couple different models (and try some other brands for comparison while you're at it).  I tried on a new pair of Jacksons (same as my old pair) at the same time I was trying on the Chorus and I just loved the Chorus in comparison, but that's me.  Talk to the fitter about appropriateness for your height/weight too - adults often have stiffer boots than comparably skilled kids.   I knew my fitter was charging more money than what I could order off the internet but the knowledge and service and ability to come back for adjustments if necessary more than made the difference worth it.  Good luck!