You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Transitioning from ISI to USFS?  (Read 5438 times)

Offline sk8great

• Figure skating isn't a sport. me: -flashes blades-
  • Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 33
Transitioning from ISI to USFS?
« on: April 27, 2016, 12:03:14 PM »
Hi! Im moving to a new place and will eventually have to move rinks aswell, but my current rink has an ISI based curriculum while the new rink is USFS based. Quite frankly, I've actually been used to the ISI curriculum all my life since the previous rinks I've skated in have ISI based programs. My main concern would be on how would this would exactly work out. How does one transition from an ISI program to a USFS based program? Would I have to restart from scratch? Im currently skating in ISI FS3. What level would that be equivalent to in the USFS curriculum? A bit confused on the matter so Im turning to you guys for help. Thanks a ton! 

:love:

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
Re: Transitioning from ISI to USFS?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 08:03:15 PM »
Based on the elements required for the ISI FS 3 test, it looks like you should be able to pass the USFSA Pre-Bronze freestyle test and possibly the Bronze freestyle test.  There is no change-foot spin required on either test, but a back upright spin is required on the Bronze test and so is a sit spin. 

Unfortunately, ISI tests do not transfer to USFSA so you will have to start from the beginning.  On the bright side, it sounds like you haven't progressed much beyond the first USFSA tests anyway (Pre-Bronze MIF and Pre-Bronze FS) so it's probably perfect timing for you to start your USFSA testing.

Before taking each freestyle test, you need to pass the corresponding Moves In The Field test, which consist of edges and turns on a pattern. 
Here is an overview of the USFSA Adult Skating program (assuming you are 21 or older);  http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=83955
and here are the rulebook pages for the Adult Pre-Bronze and Bronze tests:

http://www.usfsa.org/content/2015-16%20Rulebook%2011-04-15.pdf   Page numbers are those at the top of the screen, not those printed on the bottom corner of each PDF page.
page 270 - Pre-Bronze MIF
page 271 - Bronze MIF
Page 260  - Pre-Bronze and Bronze freestyle test requirements
Diagrams for the MIF patterns start on page 301.   You will need to find the name of each pattern on the Adult Pre-Bronze and Adult Bronze tests since the moves are categorized based on which standard track (non-adult) test they are on.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 09:22:35 PM »
Perhaps the original poster actually asking what the USFS[A] group lesson equivalent is to ISI FS3?

E.g., one might compare

http://www.skateisi.com/site/Sub.Cfm?Content=Testing_Requirements#7

to the "Free Skate Curriculum" section of

http://usfsa.org/content/BS-overview.pdf

If so, I don't feel competent to answer the question (note that the skill order is not the same for the two programs), but perhaps someone else is.

I am certain that the poster would not have to start over with the lowest level USFS[A] classes (Snowplow Sam 1 or Basic Skills 1), at any of the rinks I am familiar with.

I think testing standards might vary a fair bit, region to region, and rink to rink, so the figure skating director of the rink where the original poster is moving might be a good person to suggest a level - though he/she might want to see the poster skate, because of that variability.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 10:24:15 PM »
I agree with Doubletoe and Query on this one - you can probably work on the Pre-Pre Moves and FS or Adult equivalents - there is no cross-over per se between ISI and USFS.

I think the biggest difference is the format for the testing.  In ISI your coach can test you and place you at your levels.  The coaches often are judges at ISI competitive events.

In USFS you must test before a panel of judges, none of which is your coach (or any other coach for that matter) - this is generally done on a special day - called a "test session" where many tests are taken for all of the levels.  You might want to check out a "test session" at your new location to see what that is like - it's been my experience that this has confused some ISI skaters because the system is so different.

But in general you should be fine - have fun at your new rink!

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 10:26:20 PM »
If you are looking at group lessons (many rinks do freestyle group lessons), you can talk to the skating director and ask for an evaluation about where you can be placed.  I know our rink would be more than happy to do that!

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 02:09:13 PM »
Perhaps the original poster actually asking what the USFS[A] group lesson equivalent is to ISI FS3?

E.g., one might compare

http://www.skateisi.com/site/Sub.Cfm?Content=Testing_Requirements#7

to the "Free Skate Curriculum" section of

http://usfsa.org/content/BS-overview.pdf

If so, I don't feel competent to answer the question (note that the skill order is not the same for the two programs), but perhaps someone else is.

I am certain that the poster would not have to start over with the lowest level USFS[A] classes (Snowplow Sam 1 or Basic Skills 1), at any of the rinks I am familiar with.

I think testing standards might vary a fair bit, region to region, and rink to rink, so the figure skating director of the rink where the original poster is moving might be a good person to suggest a level - though he/she might want to see the poster skate, because of that variability.

Good point, Query.  I started skating at a USFSA rink and we were each placed in whichever group class fit our *self-reported* skill level.  Unlike ISI, there is no test you need to pass before going to the next highest class, and the group instructors do not administer tests.  The only tests I know of for USFSA start at the Pre-Preliminary level (for standard track) or Pre-Bronze level (for Adult track).  The tests are administered by the figure skating club and are independent of the rink's group classes, which are administered by the rink.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 06:03:28 PM »
Unlike ISI, there is no test you need to pass before going to the next highest class, and the group instructors do not administer tests.

At the rink I volunteer with, within the USFSA Basic Skills program, including, I think, Freeskate classes, the group instructors do administer tests at the end of each session of classes - but they only apply to our program, as results are not reported to US Figure Skating.

Likewise, within ISI WeSkate, many (most?) rinks don't report the results to ISI up to some level, because it costs money to do so.

At the lowest Basic Skills and WeSkate levels, I think skating competition organizers, for both organizations, have some freedom about qualifying people for the competition levels as well, since skating levels are usually maintained locally, rather than at the National level.

Given the level of local variation, the local rink figure skating director, or one of the group lesson instructors, might be a better starting point for answering questions about the local rink group lesson program than people, however expert, on an international skating forum, like skatingforums.com.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 08:08:02 PM »
Oops, it looks like this thread

http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=7197.0;topicseen

out dates what I said. USFS[A], at least, will keep track of whether and what you pass, even within Learn To Skate.