You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: First Test in 13 Years - Nervous  (Read 4567 times)

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
First Test in 13 Years - Nervous
« on: August 27, 2013, 03:31:18 PM »
On Friday, I take Adult Pre-Bronze MIF and Freeskate.  I did it totally clean this afternoon.    Hadn't tested since I was pregnant with my daugther.  Then, it was pre-juvenille moves in the field that I started to work on when I had to put down my skates for a growing belly.

This will be my third time doing a Waltz 8, in front of USFSA judges.  That, like stroking and spirals can be "mastered" on so many diferent levels.   I did pass when I was a kid (figures), a young lady (regular MIF, before the Adult Tract was invented).  Now, as a mid-aged woman. 

I'm going to try to get my tween to record my tests.  Funny no matter how many times, there's those jitters!  God, please don't let me scratch my toe pick, do an ugly crossover, and help me center my spin.

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
Re: First Test in 13 Years - Nervous
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 03:50:35 PM »
Good luck!  I am sure you will do great! 

I agree.  Those nerves are terrible!  Last year I took my first moves test in 15 years, and I was a wreck for days.  There's nothing quite like going in front of a panel of judges all by yourself.  I'm already nervous for my next one, and I'm not even ready to take it yet! :o

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 05:24:02 PM »
Good luck.  You can do it.

I did it last year after 20 something years and I lived to tell the story so you can too.  I is a it nerve wracking.  Can you had a glass of wine before the test?  I did that with my last test this year and had no buttlerflies or anything. 

Just relax and remind yourself that it isn't the end of the world if you don't pass.  There is always another test day and you cannot control what judges are feeling like on that particular day.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 05:49:21 PM »
It took me 7 years to retest PB MITF, so I feel your anxiety.  I nearly fell on the swing roll/mohawk transtion on the crossover pattern and the just just wrote "scratchy"  Most judges are pretty supportive of adult skaters.  Good luck!
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 06:00:37 PM »
Can you had a glass of wine before the test?  I did that with my last test this year and had no buttlerflies or anything.

Our local tests are usually at 7am.  Bit early for wine ...  ;D

Best of luck Neverdull - go out and ace it!!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 07:15:21 PM »
You will do great!  It was 17 years between when I tested pre-pre and when I took my pre-bronze  MITF, pre-bronze freeskate, and bronze MITF last summer.  I was so nervous that I was literally shaking throughout all of it, but in the end I did just fine and passed all of my tests :)

I tested silver moves about 8 months later and I wasn't quite as nervous for that one, but I also felt much more prepared :)

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 08:59:50 PM »
You've done it clean, so you know you CAN do it :) Also, remember that it doesn't have to be perfect to pass. If you make a mistake just keep going and remember to breathe. Good luck!!

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 07:34:37 AM »
The pre-bronze is an "encouragement" test--the judges really DO want you to pass! When I did mine I lost track of how many times I'd done the waltz 8 and did 2 additional patterns. I was so nervous I probably would have kept going but I got a glimpse of my coach's eyes popping out and stopped. (One of my friends said, "I didn't think you were EVER going to stop.") I still passed!

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 04:55:09 PM »
  Can you had a glass of wine before the test? 

Testing under the influence could be dangerous.  :police:Who knows how your body will respond to a glass of wine? I know I would be bumping against the boards and probably skate into the judges at some point.  :blush:

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 06:01:54 PM »
Thanks, I went to the rink today and practiced, practiced, practiced it.  All was clean.  But, all of a sudden, my one-foot spin is not as centered as I'd like.   

Test time is after work.  But, still no wine.  I can't imagine skating with any influence.  I can watch hockey & drink a beer, though!  I'm going to try to get my Tween to video it. 

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 07:25:08 PM »
If your spin is traveling, you are probably rushing the entrance.  It's common to do that when you're nervous or anxious, so just focus on slowing everything down a little and bending your knee really deeply for a deeper entrance edge.
As others have mentioned, the Pre-Bronze test is an encouragement test.  They are not going to be nitpicky and they really don't want to traumatize you so that you never test again!  Also, judges are just people who love skating and skaters, and they *really* want you to pass! :)

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 02:34:35 PM »
I passed.  But, my nerves showed on my first test, Moves in the Field.  I almost flubbed the spiral transition, but pulled it off.  It's amazing what nerves do to the knees.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 07:17:12 PM »
Congrats!

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 08:04:56 PM »
Congrats.  Great job

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 08:47:37 PM »
Nerves have an excellent way of making knees forget how to work!  Congratulations on your passes!

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 12:16:25 AM »
 :stars: :spin: :stars:

Congrats!

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 01:11:42 AM »
Way to go!

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »
Congratulations.

I am in the "have a drink to calm your nerves" camp.  I take a sip of vodka before I test or compete.  Including freeskate.  I had a sip before passing my intermediate freeskate test a few months ago!  I haven't had any early morning times, but I would do it at 6am if I was testing at that time.  Don't get snockered, just a sip.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 05:11:07 PM »
Congratulations!  I know you feel relieved to have it over with.

Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 06:26:57 PM »
Congratulations.

I am in the "have a drink to calm your nerves" camp.  I take a sip of vodka before I test or compete.  Including freeskate.  I had a sip before passing my intermediate freeskate test a few months ago!  I haven't had any early morning times, but I would do it at 6am if I was testing at that time.  Don't get snockered, just a sip.
  That explains the goofy grin on your face when you skate a program.   :P  Just kidding...