You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Test Freakout Results Thread - fsf  (Read 5639 times)

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
Test Freakout Results Thread - fsf
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:51:50 PM »
Maineskate
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Title: Test Freakout Results Thread
Posted: 02-20-2007, 07:57 AM

Hi everyone.
I thought I'd start a results thread for the "test freakout" so it didn't get buried.

I had my first two tests ever yesterday and passed both! Adult PreBronze MIF and PreBronze FS. I felt strong and confident, though I skated conservatively so I wouldn't make a silly mistake. I'm soooo glad I'll never have to do that *&^(* 3-turn pattern again!

Later in the day, I skated in a basic skills competition, but I was so tired and my feet really hurt once I put my skates back on that I didn't do as well as I wanted to...but I had a blast--so it's all good! Don't think I'll try testing and competing on the same day again.

So, now it's on to learning Bronze moves next week.

How's everyone else doing???

Julie 

jskater49
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: 02-20-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineskate 
Hi everyone.

I had my first two tests ever yesterday and passed both! Adult PreBronze MIF and PreBronze FS. I felt strong and confident, though I skated conservatively so I wouldn't make a silly mistake. I'm soooo glad I'll never have to do that *&^(* 3-turn pattern again!

Julie

Good for you! I hurried up and passed by pre-bronze fs back in 02 or something like that so I could be grandfathered and not do those 3 turns - although I guess they are different now than I would have had to do them.

Quote:

Don't think I'll try testing and competing on the same day again.

I did that once thinking I would compete first, and that would be good practice for me to get out in front of the judges - since I care more about the test results than the competition results. So of course I tested first (dance)...then felt silly competing...but figured what's the worse they could do to me after failing me? Putting me third against the book.

It was fun anyway...at that time I was still having "issues" with timing and a bunch of the girls stood at the boards and swayed in time to help me stay on time.

Mrs Redboots

Posted: 02-20-2007, 09:10 AM

Well done!

As I've already reported, neither Husband (Level 4 Silver Dance Moves) nor I (Level 3 Bronze Dance Moves) skated well enough this morning, and both got papers marked "Retry".

Which is actually academic, as we can't retry those particular tests! 

sexyskates

Post Title: Gold Moves
Posted: 02-20-2007, 09:45 AM

And I am still rather stunned that I passed my Adult Gold MITF test on Sunday! I really thought it was going to be a judges' critique on a first attempt. What a wonderful surprise!

Also, Congrats to Maineskate! 

NickB

Posted: 02-20-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Redboots 
Well done!

As I've already reported, neither Husband (Level 4 Silver Dance Moves) nor I (Level 3 Bronze Dance Moves) skated well enough this morning, and both got papers marked "Retry".

Which is actually academic, as we can't retry those particular tests!

I probably missed a post explaining this, but why can't you retry the tests? 

Isk8NYC
Board Moderator

Posted: 02-20-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB 
I probably missed a post explaining this, but why can't you retry the tests?

The Dance Moves tests are being eliminated and replaced effective 3/1/2007.

http://www.skatingforums.com/showthr...333#post309333
http://www.skatingforums.com/showpos...34&postcount=2

CONGRATULATIONS MAINESKATE! 

Debbie S

Posted: 02-20-2007, 01:33 PM

Congratulations Maineskate!

Mrs. Redboots, sorry to hear your test didn't go as you would have liked, but as you said in the other thread, at least you'll never have to do those moves again. Good for you for getting out there and trying.

I am hoping to test Silver MIF (U.S.) before the end of the summer. I expect that my first attempt will be a judges' critique. 

Maineskate

Posted: 02-21-2007, 08:03 AM

Sexyskates---YAAAYYY!!!

Mrs. Redboots--So sorry you didn't pass, but there's always the next challenge.

Good luck to everyone still to test!

Julie 

kateskate

Posted: 02-21-2007, 09:27 AM

I already posted on another thread but as I'm so happy, I'll post on here too.

I passed my bronze field moves. No reskates. V happy! Didn't lose speed on the choctaws and I didn't fall off any brackets. Yay! 

sexyskates

Post Title: Congratulations, Kateskate!
Posted: 02-21-2007, 01:22 PM

Good job Kateskate! That sounds like a very difficult test! 

jazzpants

Posted: 02-21-2007, 02:30 PM

(All you guys who've passed your tests!!! ) 

Skatinglover

Posted: 02-22-2007, 08:46 PM

I passed!!!!!

I was testing my dutch waltz today and I passed... Actually, I think the juge was was very nice because almost everybody passed...

Congratulations to everybody 

jskater49

Posted: 02-22-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatinglover 
I passed!!!!!

I was testing my dutch waltz today and I passed... Actually, I think the juge was was very nice because almost everybody passed...

Congratulations and give yourself credit for passing. It's not that easy. I've failed it 3 times (Solo anyway, I have passed it with a partner)

Isk8NYC
Board Moderator

Posted: 02-22-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I was testing my dutch waltz today and I passed

CONGRATULATIONS SKATINGLOVER!

I passed the Dutch Waltz in the 1980's (according to the USFSA) and I don't even remember taking the test!
I laughed out loud when I signed onto my USFSA account for the first time and saw that test registered to my ID.
Of all things: ME? A DANCE TEST? HAHAHA!

My husband monotoned "Dutch Waltz. Dutch Waltz" when I explained, because the Union County Skating Club used cassettes with the music and a bored-sounding man announcing each dance. My poor DH used to come and sit for two hours outdoors in the cold, waiting for me to finish the free/dance sessions. He listened to those tapes over and over and over. LOL 

Maineskate

Posted: 02-23-2007, 07:47 AM

CONGRATULATIONS Skatinglover!!!! Great job!

Julie 

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
Re: Test Freakout Results Thread - fsf
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:52:14 PM »
Mrs Redboots

Posted: 02-23-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I passed!!!!!

Congratulations! 

frbskate63

Posted: 02-23-2007, 04:16 PM

Passed my level 6 dance moves today!! (Much to my surprise - I thought I was a verrryyy long shot when I put the papers in.) YAY!!!!

Fiona 

das_mondlicht

Posted: 02-23-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frbskate63 
Passed my level 6 dance moves today!!

Quote:
I was testing my dutch waltz today and I passed...

Congratulations! Well-done! 

BatikatII

Posted: 02-23-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Passed my level 6 dance moves today!! (Much to my surprise - I thought I was a verrryyy long shot when I put the papers in.) YAY!!!!

Fiona

Great news! Congratulations Fiona. Couldnt have been any more of a long shot than my interbronze ones and I managed those in the end! I think NISA did us (well me anyway!) a favour in the end by putting that time limit on getting them as I'd never have dreamed of attempting them otherwise! 

Isk8NYC
Board Moderator

Posted: 02-23-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:

CONGRATULATIONS FRBSKATE63! 

kateskate

Posted: 02-23-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:

Fiona

Many congratulations. Well done.

Mrs Redboots

Posted: 02-24-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:

Fiona

CONGRATULATIONS!

Tiggerwoos

Posted: 02-24-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:

Fiona

Yay! Well done Fiona. Congrats! 

Morgail

Posted: 02-24-2007, 09:51 AM

Congrats to everyone who has passed!! 

herniated

Posted: 02-25-2007, 08:45 PM

Congrats! Maineskate and to all who have passed tests!! I used to get so nervous on my tests I thought I'd get sick right on the ice!! I don't get that nervous anymore, thank God. 

Mainemom

Posted: 02-26-2007, 11:37 AM

Congrats MaineSkate! We actually saw you test as my dd was the one testing between your two tests! I give you so much credit for going out there in front of all those judges - I could NEVER do it! My legs get all trembly just thinking about it and I am in awe of anyone who can. I just don't have that part of the skating gene.

And my dd passed her Pre-Pre FS test, too and then competed in the afternoon (two gold medals!). It's such a nice, fun, low-key competition. 

Maineskate

Posted: 02-26-2007, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the kind words! And congrats to your daughter!! Can't say I watched her test, cuz I was too worried about my next one.

Julie 

JessicaLynn

Posted: 03-01-2007, 09:34 PM

I passed my Adult Bronze Moves yesterday! It was a shaky skate but my coach says that on a regular day they are very strong thus on a bad day they still were good enough to pass..

Field moves tests are so nerve-wracking. I got so nervous yesterday it was like I forgot how to skate!!

Anyway, so happy to start learning the silver moves!!

Congrats to everyone who passed their tests! 

Debbie S

Posted: 03-01-2007, 09:36 PM

Congratulations!! 

Morgail

Posted: 03-01-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaLynn 
I passed my Adult Bronze Moves yesterday! It was a shaky skate but my coach says that on a regular day they are very strong thus on a bad day they still were good enough to pass..

Congratulations! I'll be trying for Bronze Moves in just a little over a week 

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 11:52:39 PM »
Maineskate

Posted: 03-02-2007, 07:37 AM

Congrats JessicaLynn!!!

And GOOD LUCK Morgail! 

Mrs Redboots

Posted: 03-02-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Congrats JessicaLynn!!!

And GOOD LUCK Morgail!

Seconded! Why isn't there a "good luck" smiley?

Hmm, perhaps this one:

Isk8NYC
Board Moderator

Posted: 03-02-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaLynn 
I passed my Adult Bronze Moves yesterday!

CONGRATULATIONS, JessicaLynn!

Mrs Redboots

Posted: 03-02-2007, 12:53 PM

Sk84fun, did I miss where you announced you'd passed Skate UK 9 and 10?

Many congratulations!!!! That is not easy, and so few of those who start at level 1 get that far.

Are you doing Dance or Free passport, or both? 

Morgail

Posted: 03-10-2007, 10:04 AM

I just got back from testing the first three dances (solo). I had a mini-panic attack in the warm-up because the music (ALL the music) was different from what I'd been practicing with. I have a really hard time keeping count on the music I'm familiar with. Somehow I managed to actually pass the Dutch Waltz. Didn't pass the Canasta Tango or the Rhythm Blues. I messed up both the pattern (edges on second lobe) and the timing on the Canasta, and just the timing on the Rhythm Blues. After my freak-out during the warm-up, I'm happy that I passed even one dance!

Going back to the rink this afternoon to test Bronze Moves, and hopefully, Bronze FS. 

techskater

Posted: 03-10-2007, 10:50 AM

Sorry you didn't pass two of the dances, Morgail. Did you know you can bring your *own* dance music to a test session? 

Mrs Redboots

Posted: 03-10-2007, 01:46 PM

Well done passing the Dutch Waltz.

Here, it's all done to ISU music (except the Riverside Rhumba, which doesn't have any), so you practice to it. 

phoenix

Posted: 03-10-2007, 02:23 PM

If you have the USFS dance tapes/CDs (which is what most clubs use for tests), there's 3 tracks of each dance. It's a good idea to practice to all 3, since you never know which one will come up for your test.

Send good vibes for my Killian tomorrow!! Practice today went well. 

Morgail

Posted: 03-10-2007, 08:28 PM

I passed Bronze Moves and Bronze FS!!!!!! On Moves, I ran out of room for the very last lobe for the Power 3s, and a couple of my RO 3s were shaky. One judge gave me 2.4 on that pattern, but the others gave me 2.5 - so I guess it wasn't too bad!

When I skated out to start my program for FS, I caught my blade in a gouge in the ice and went down on my behind! Everyone laughed (including me), but wow - that was embarrassing. As a result, I felt more than a little nervous in the program. Both my waltz-toe and loop were shaky and I just barely squeaked out 3 revolutions on the backspin. But it was good enough, and I passed I got nice comments on my scratch spin, and suggestions to work on my loop and spiral.

techskater - No, I didn't know that! But now I do However, there were so many skaters testing the first dances that they had us going 2 at a time (starting at opposite ends of the rink), so I'm not sure how that would work in such a situation.

MrsRedboots - thank you! I wish the music were all consistent here - that would be nice.

phoenix - I'll look in to getting one of those CDs. That would definitely help with getting counting down to various cuts of music. Good luck with the Killian! 

Rusty Blades

Posted: 03-10-2007, 09:13 PM

A BIG CONGRATULATIONS to all those who have passed tests! 

jskater49

Posted: 03-10-2007, 11:35 PM

I PASSED ALL THREE DANCES - Dutch Waltz, Canasta and Rhythm Blues!!! today.

It was a single panel with a judge who some say is easy but I prefer to describe him as someone who understands the concept of "encouragement test"

This was my FOURTH time on the Dutch and Canasta, first time with Rhythm Blues and I think I skated the Rhythm & blues the best. Something about that music makes it easy for me to get down in my knees and get on an edge.

I tested at my old club without my dance coach. My former freestyle coach put me on. She's very, um, intense. She can seem mean, but I know that she really wanted me to pass and was getting frustrated that I was not skating that well.

The test is at the end of the day at a competition where I was an ice monitor for an hour, and competed freestyle and they were running behind so I had my skates on an hour before I tested. ANd I was the only one doing the dances so it was 1, 2, 3 boom boom boom.

After I warmed up the Canasta, my coach pulls me over and says very intensley "If you want to pass this test you are going to HAVE TO BEND YOUR KNEES and make some kind of an attempt to look like you are on an edge --you are on your flats the entire dance, you know that don't you????" and I'm like quivering...."yes?"

On the one hand it was a hard truth I had to hear (so that's what my dance coach means when she says niceley "Edges could be better...") and I did try to bend some more and get some more edge to it, but after that I was so tired and felt like I hadn't worked much on the Rhythm Blues so when they played my warm up (right after testing the Canasta,) I just wanted to get off and scracth - but my coach told me to just listen to the warm up music and then just go ahead and test. So I did and probably did that the best.

Oh yea and did I mention the judge's mother is a member of my church? I"m sure that had nothing to do with passing.

Anyway, I'm grateful and I'm not going to test for a long while until I figure out how to have better edges cuz even an "easy" judge is not going to let me get away with those edges for the next round.

jskater49

Posted: 03-10-2007, 11:39 PM

Congratulations Morgail on your Dutch Waltz and Bronze tests.

Not every club lets you use your own music, it's up to the club. I found the timing for the Canasta VERY challenging until I switched music...a lot of it is HErnando's Hideaway and that melody is so distracting, I end up trying to skate to the melody instead of the underbeat.

Mrs Redboots

Posted: 03-11-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgail 
I passed Bronze Moves and Bronze FS!!!!!!

Congratulations, Bronze Lady!

Mrs Redboots

Posted: 03-11-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskater49 

Congratulations Joelle!!!!!

I know how hard you've worked for this - you deserve it. Now, onwards and upwards.

(I am strongly reminded of the story in today's Gospel reading! 

Morgail

Posted: 03-11-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Congratulations!!! And after such a long day! 

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 11:53:09 PM »
phoenix

Posted: 03-11-2007, 10:04 PM

Congratulations to all those passing tests---especially the ones that took extra perseverence!!

Speaking of perseverence.....I failed my Killian today. BUT--I skated on time, did all 6 choctaws really good, and kept a very happy smile on my face throughout. Considering that 2 weeks ago I couldn't even keep up with the music, I think that's pretty good.

Nerves!! I was VERY stiff on the warmup, haven't been in front of judges since last August, and obviously it's been too long. Luckily for me it was a big group, hence long warmup, and I finally resorted to doing lunges down the ice to try & get my knees going. After several attempts I got through a pattern, & it got better from there.

So on my test, the partnered part was all right, a little inconsistent pattern, but not bad. And then my solo was just too flat, which I was aware of as I was skating, but those knees just weren't as soft as I needed them to be today. It was the 2 outer/outer edges that weren't edgy enough, all 3 judges commented on them.

So--it's okay. I'll keep working on it, & seeing as it really had just started to get off the ground at all, I'm sure next time wil be better. And I will be more relaxed!!

ALSO--2 of my students were testing, a Dutch Waltz, a Swing & a Hickory, and they both passed everything!! So I was very very happy about that. 

Mrs Redboots

Posted: 03-12-2007, 06:15 AM

Commiserations, Phoenix! Sooner you than me with that Kilian, is all I can say!

But oh, how I know what you mean about knowing your knees aren't soft enough and being totally unable to do anything about it - that's exactly what happened to me in my Moves test. So frustrating!

Congratulations to, and on, your students. Wish our coach would let us test Level 4 (Swing Dance and Fiesta), but he won't, yet. If ever. 

jskater49

Posted: 03-12-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Redboots 
But oh, how I know what you mean about knowing your knees aren't soft enough and being totally unable to do anything about it - that's exactly what happened to me in my Moves test. So frustrating!

Ditto!

And good for you to bring students to a passing, though I'm trying to figure out the order of all those dances..I'm figuring the swing was the last of the pre-bronze and the Hickory was a contingency?

Isk8NYC
Board Moderator

Posted: 03-11-2007, 08:51 AM

Congrats to Morgail on passing most of her tests -- there were a lot of them!

Congrats to Joelle on passing her respective test and taking silver in her competition.!!! 

Isk8NYC
Board Moderator

Posted: 03-12-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix 
Speaking of perseverence.....I failed my Killian today. BUT--I skated on time, did all 6 choctaws really good, and kept a very happy smile on my face throughout.

Awww. Sorry you didn't pass, but it sounds like you've got a great attitude about the test.

Quote:
ALSO--2 of my students were testing, a Dutch Waltz, a Swing & a Hickory, and they both passed everything!! So I was very very happy about that.

Yay for phoenix' students! 

phoenix

Posted: 03-12-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Ditto!
I'm trying to figure out the order of all those dances..I'm figuring the swing was the last of the pre-bronze and the Hickory was a contingency?

j

Yup, that's exactly right. 

Isk8NYC
Board Moderator

Posted: 03-12-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Bad practice = good performance!!

Whew! Thank goodness that was true!

I bolted from work and went to the rink a few hours early. There was a fairly empty freestyle (cheap, too: $11 for 1.5 hours) before the test. It took a while, but I finally landed a few clean toe loops.

I passed both the Pre-Prel MITF and Freestyle! I'll post the notes later, but I did better on the freestyle than the MITF. (What else is new?) The FS judge complimented me on my jump height and landings. LOL - I've been struggling with the landings for weeks. 

jskater49

Posted: 03-12-2007, 10:06 PM

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

Morgail

Posted: 03-12-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isk8NYC 
I passed both the Pre-Prel MITF and Freestyle!

Congratulations! 

Debbie S

Posted: 03-12-2007, 11:15 PM

Congratulations, Isk8NYC! 

jazzpants

Posted: 03-13-2007, 01:40 AM

Congrats, ISk8NYC!!!

(Told 'ya you'd pass both. I knew it would be cake for 'ya!) 

Mrs Redboots

Posted: 03-13-2007, 09:49 AM

Yay! Congratulations, Isk8NYC. 

kateskate

Posted: 03-13-2007, 09:50 AM

Congratulations! 

phoenix

Posted: 03-13-2007, 10:09 AM

Congrats to ISK8NY!! Now you get to do the program w/ music thing--a lot more fun. 

Isk8NYC
Board Moderator

Posted: 03-13-2007, 11:25 AM

Thanks everyone!

These are the judges' notes:

Pre-Preliminary Moves in the Field
Forward Perimeter Stroking
∙ Consistent stroking via side of blade
∙ Good stroking and good carriage
∙ X-overs - heels kick up
Basic Consecutive Edges
∙ FO: Edges and axis a little flat
∙ FI: Better edges and control of rotation this way
∙ BO: Secure more this direction
∙ BI: Tentative but secure
Forward R&L Spirals: Good stretch and glide
Waltz Eight: Good control of each element; 2nd set circles enlarged

ETA: Because there were two people testing at the same time, I had to perform the Waltz Eight without using the center-ice circle. I used the two end circles and imagined an axis line from their centers.
(I had practiced this in advance, knowing that the Club had asked others to do this.)

Pre-Preliminary Freestyle
Waltz Jump: nice jump
Salchow: nice height
Toe Loop: nice jump
1/2 Flip: good take off; nice height
1/2 Lutz: good height; good landing
1 Foot Spin: nice centering & speed

I figured out why the toe loop was so screwy - I've been practicing those RFI3 entries for the loop jump. It explains why I was so far over on my right side after the turn and couldn't pick or shift weight to the picking foot. 

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 11:53:33 PM »
Isk8NYC
Board Moderator

Posted: 03-13-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Congrats to ISK8NY!! Now you get to do the program w/ music thing--a lot more fun.

I'll wait until the summer to put together the program, and focus on the elements in the meantime. My coach emailed me that we're off for Prelim tomorrow!

Between now and May, I have to learn the Pro Number for one skating show, plus choreograph 3-6 solos, along with the six group numbers for three different shows. I'm gonna be busy and I won't be able to remember my own program. LOL 

d b n y

Posted: 03-13-2007, 02:07 PM

I haven't posted here yet, so

BIG CONGRATULATIONS

to

Maineskate

sexyskates

Kateskate

Skatinglover

frbskate63

JessicaLynn

Morgail

jskater49

Isk8NYC

Wow, NINE of us passed tests in the past several weeks! That's an inspiration for sure.

Having seen Isk8NYC on the ice, I have to tell you that she has killer spirals, and that's going to be a big plus on Prelim moves. Can I borrow them, please? 

Isk8NYC
Board Moderator

Posted: 03-13-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d b n y 
Having seen Isk8NYC on the ice, I have to tell you that she has killer spirals, and that's going to be a big plus on Prelim moves. Can I borrow them, please?

They're just 'sturdy' spirals - Skate@Delaware gets the free leg much higher than mine. I don't think you've ever seen my inside spirals - they're yuck! I know they're on tap tomorrow.