You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Buying gloves in the summer  (Read 3947 times)

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
Buying gloves in the summer
« on: July 14, 2012, 07:51:57 PM »
My go-to gloves are tearing at the fingertips and I'm looking to replace them. I thought it would be easy to find a basic pair of acrylic/wool gloves online, but I've had a little trouble finding what I'm looking for, partially because I'm not really sure what my favorite gloves are made of. As most stores don't carry them when the temperature reads in the 90s, I can't go touch and feel and figure out what I'm looking for.

Where have you bought gloves in the summertime? And what kind of gloves do you like to wear while skating?
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Buying gloves in the summer
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 07:57:20 PM »
If I go to a cold rink (I usually skate in a mall where you don't need gloves) I like to buy those really cheap gloves that usually get for $1.  I have about a million pairs of them so never have felt the need to buy any.  You can also probably find gloves at your rink pro shop.

I have the habit of starting with mittens and then switching to gloves when my hands get too warm for the mittens but I still need something.  it is an OLD habit that is not really necessary but everyone who knows me knows the routine... it is kind of hilarious.
 :)

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 08:56:32 PM »
Obviously this doesn't help you now, but for future reference, Target puts its basic knit gloves on sale for around 50 cents a pair, maybe less, in January or February. Last summer my gloves got ratty and nasty by July, so I bought about 10 pairs this year and don't think I'll run out anytime soon. The gloves are 81 percent acrylic, 18 percent polyester and 1 percent spandex, and they come in lots of colors and patterns They soak through pretty quickly once they get wet, so having multiple pairs in your bag is a good idea. For the price, they get the job done, and I've never met anyone who found them uncomfortable.

The knit gloves you see in pro shops and skating gear websites are essentially overpriced versions of the same thing. You'll pay more, but that's an option for you now.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 09:42:49 PM »
If it's serious GLOVES you want rather than mini-mitts, which is what we call the acrylic gloves htat VAsk8r describes - LL Bean carries winter wear year round. Free shipping too.

My kids wear mini-mitts, except for my smallest who likes to wear knit mittens. 

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 09:53:37 PM »

Whatever this is called. I also bought several years' supply when Target had the black ones on sale.

The finger tips last about 3-5 months for me. Then I cut all finger tips off and use them for office work. (I sit near the window and it's freezing in the winter)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 11:06:42 PM »
Where have you bought gloves in the summertime?

Online (Jenskates, Kinzies closet, etc) as well as eBay.  I try to stock up when Target has them cheap (2 pairs for $1.50) but they get lost and misplaced really easily.

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 12:53:00 AM »

Where have you bought gloves in the summertime? And what kind of gloves do you like to wear while skating?

Pro shops have them all year round. You can also go to a skating competitions. Most of them have vendors selling skating-related stuff, gloves including.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 09:00:13 AM »
Dollar stores!

Why do you care that the finger tips are wearing out?

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 09:22:22 AM »
Why do you care that the finger tips are wearing out?

Same reason I don't wear socks with holes in the toes - I find it really uncomfortable.  On the other hand, I don't care if my leggings look like the ankles have been gnawed by rats.  Go figure.

I do what the others have suggested - stock up at Target in season, use pro shops or competitions in off-season emergencies.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 10:05:37 AM »
Another target shopper here.  If you can hold out for another month or so they will be 2/1.50.  She also uses http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500359&brand=REI  - the all season glove for 29.50.  Only we bought them on sale in children's sizes (for me as well - the xl kids fits fine).  These are great for cold, wet rinks.  But she keeps a bunch of the target ones in her bag and grabs those most of the time.  They are good too when there is a kid on the ice with no gloves - she loans them out all the time and usually gets them back.  If not, no heartache.

The ones at the .99 cent store look the same but the fell apart quickly and didn't hold up to lots of washing.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 10:27:30 AM »
I'm in the same boat, looking for gloves in the summer. I dislike the cheap knit gloves you can get for $1, my fingers get too cold in them, so I need the soft, furry, chenille gloves. I found a pair at Kohls.com in the spring, I think they were on clearance for $3, and if I'd known how wonderful they'd be, I would have bought several pairs. They're super soft and silky, and very warm. Plus they're dark gray, which matches my skating clothes. But by the time they'd arrived and I saw how nice they were, they'd already sold out.  :(

eBay has gloves and knit arm warmers starting at 99 cents, but there's no telling whether the quality is good or not. Might be worth checking out, though.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 10:35:35 AM »
Maybe I should skate in gloves with the finger tips all cut off, easier to use the metronome anyways. But that risks getting the fingers scratched by ice surface in a fall.

Knit gloves are the only ones I wear, anything else is too warm. At my rink, no one really wears mittens except for very young LTS skaters, maybe because those hide your beautiful artistic fingers? ;)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 03:40:21 PM »
You can find sources on-line for gloves in an old post from last year.

http://skatingforums.com/index.php/topic,1924.msg19388.html#msg19388

The shopnational site doesn't carry them any more, but the other two still do.

If you want more kinds, I reccomend search for 'magic gloves'
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 11:06:42 PM »
I do what the others have suggested - stock up at Target in season, use pro shops or competitions in off-season emergencies.

I think this is what I'll do. I picked up a pair of fleece gloves at the end of the season last year, but I find them a little warm, at least for the summer. This year, I'll know better what I want to snag when winter clearance rolls around. Thanks for all your help!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 07:54:30 AM »
I started skating again during summer and I bought magic gloves from ebay. I bought a test pair then bought a bunch from the same seller (and she sent me some extra prs free as a result) It was the only place I could find cheap ones in summer!  They don't always last longer than a couple of months but I tend to loose mine by then so cheap is good! :blush:

This year I stocked up in Primark in the autumn and then bought lots more when they went to 2 prs for 50p in the spring!