You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Team Skating At Sochi?  (Read 6516 times)

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
Team Skating At Sochi?
« on: February 04, 2014, 01:50:53 PM »
Did I read that correctly?  Team skating is now an Olympic event?  If it's the same as what I saw at a recent competition, then I'm thinking maybe it shouldn't be.

Is it really now an event?
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
Re: Team Skating At Sochi?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 03:03:52 PM »
It's structured like the World Team Trophy. So 10 teams compete, 5 make it to the finals. 1 man, 1 woman, 1 pair, and 1 dance couple do a short and a long. Points are given based on placement (something like 10 to 1st, 9 to 2nd, etc), highest number of points wins. Teams are allowed to substitute up to 2 times (so 1 man could do the short, a different one could do the long).

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:37:53 PM »
Personally, I think Synchro should be an Olympic team skating sport.  Team figure skating is too much like those cheesy "Ice Wars".  Plus, figure skating is a solo/pair sport.  I don't think most figure skaters have much of a "team" mentality.  Will I watch it?  Sure.  But, I'd rather see Synchro get its day as an Olympic sport.

Offline jjdoe

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 12:27:43 AM »
More dumbing down of the Olympics. And TV sports in general. Downhill has been replaced by kid's stuff - half pipes and moguls. What little skating makes it to TV may soon be replaced by these lame team events. ACK! But it does fit in better, in this world of 'skate 'n singers', or skate and gymnastics.
I'll watch it at the Oly games, but I wouldn't watch team events on TV. Snooore....
Does this mean that skating will open AND close the Games?

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 12:41:48 PM »
They've eliminated downhill? What????

I don't like the idea of a team event but oh well, at least it is skating...

Let the games begin!

Offline Kitten23

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 04:02:01 PM »
I'm still upset over softball (and baseball) being eliminated from the Summer Olympics.  As a former centerfielder, I am saddened by the loss of that sport.  Now team figure skating?  What's next? Pole Dancing?  (I understand that was a "sport" being considered at one time.)
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 11:40:30 PM »
Ok, this was confusing....
The nations can put anybody on the ice who can skate? From old Plushenko to the young Japanese kid...
Aren't they using their top skaters up for the individual events?

(I thought the Japanese kid got robbed...)
It's kind of a weird concept...the bottom 5 go home. I suppose mathematically they don't have a chance to fight back....

(I hate the broadcasting....the commentators are paid by the word it seems....and they only show bits. 10 nations, 20 performances - ok, 15) and you only get to see 6 or so...not happy.)

I think eventually I have to suck it up and pay for the subscription....
:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 04:09:50 PM »
My Responses in purple:
Ok, this was confusing....
The nations can put anybody on the ice who can skate? From old Plushenko to the young Japanese kid...
Aren't they using their top skaters up for the individual events?

The country can put anyone that qualified for their county in the event. This means (for example) the US could have used either Jeremy or Jason for the men's short. Plushenko IS the only man that is competing for Russia as they only got one men's spot. The Japanese kid is one of the best skaters in the world, and their best shot at getting lots of points for the men's short. Japan needs all the points they can get from their singles skaters because their pairs and dance teams aren't amazing otherwise they won't get to the finals.

(I thought the Japanese kid got robbed...)

Wait, how? I thought his result was pretty accurate.

It's kind of a weird concept...the bottom 5 go home. I suppose mathematically they don't have a chance to fight back....

While I think that's accurate, I also think it's more of a time thing. The freeskates take longer than the short programs, so it makes more sense to have fewer countries who actually have a chance at a medal taking up the time. Although it sucks for countries like GB who's guy only qualified for the team event not to get to do 2 programs, it also makes it more pressure to do well in the short.

(I hate the broadcasting....the commentators are paid by the word it seems....and they only show bits. 10 nations, 20 performances - ok, 15) and you only get to see 6 or so...not happy.)

I think eventually I have to suck it up and pay for the subscription....

NBCOlympics.com live streamed the entire event for free in the US. Don't remember if you are in the US or Canada, but that could be an option.

Offline Kitten23

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 04:18:47 PM »
I watched part of this event; bored me to tears.  I am not impressed by this event and wouldn't mind if it quietly went away.

I also believe the commentators are paid by the word.  Wish there was a button to hear the music, but mute out the talking.  Anyone remember when IceNetwork would just show the program without the commentary?  The good old days!  To the commentators, I say "SHHHHH!!!!!"

I'm still not sure why they decided to add this event.  Bring back downhill.  Or at least show everybody.  And stop with those annoying political discussions.  This is the Olympics; politics have nothing to do with it.  88)  :laugh:

Okay, I couldn't say that with a straight face.... :laugh:

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 01:07:47 AM »
Ok, I am so completely confused.  I had thought that they were structuring the skating events like Gymnastics, where the team competes, but there's also the solo element embedded within.

I managed to watch the last two events- Dance and Ladies, missed part of the ladies because our cable sucks.

At the end, it showed the teams that had qualified.

But, now what do they qualify for?  Does this team event thing continue, or does this affect the "normal" competition?  I.e. does the French dance team now have to go home?  (Ok they're not going to medal, but one of the pair is local, so the people here are a wee bit excited).

I also noticed that Korea wasn't represented, so I'm thinking that this team thing is completely separate, since Yu- Na must be skating in the Ladies competition (or did something happen?).  But if it's separate, then what's the point?  If it continues, that's a lot of competing for those skaters- many of them are competing in the "normal" events, too.  But then maybe it's more fun for them, too.  ???

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 09:42:11 AM »
After watching the event, I'm going to have to second that I'd prefer to see synchro.  The team event feels like watching a dress rehearsal for the individual events.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 04:06:06 PM »
Look at it another way.

If a skater has a really bad skate, he/she can still try again and have a good Olympic skate.

Maybe it's a ratings thing. Somehow figure skating isn't popular enough to show in full on broadcast television outside the Olympics. But during the Olympics, it's suddenly popular again, and NBC + NBC Sports gives it pretty full coverage, both on the air, and on nbcolympics.com. Hard to figure out.

Next Olympics we can add "Extreme figure skating": skate-park style railings and slopes. Freestyle snow board moves during the foot work sequence, a mini "Crashed Ice" race during compulsory dance.   ::>)  Who says figure skating can't change?

Offline Schmeck

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 06:25:50 PM »
I hate the team skating idea. What was the point of it, besides to show that there are a few powerhouse countries that can cover all four disciplines reasonably well? Hopefully no one got hurt, and didn't leave their best skate on the team ice.

I still can't figure out why there is no synchro! Is it just because 1) it's mostly women 2) the teams are large so they would have to add dozens of rooms to the village 3) the IOC is stupid.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 08:32:08 PM »
Do they skate the same programs in both the team and individual events? Because one of the reasons skating has become so dull is the same programs get seen in the Grand Prix events, then Worlds, then Olympics. By the end, the fan is sick of 'em.

'Eh, typical ISU/IOC decision. Don't know anything about figure skating, just like to shove around pieces to make the critics shut up. The problem is they drive away the casual fans that outnumber the serious fans 100 to 1. And after all that, the critics find something else to complain about in skating.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 08:35:36 PM »
I'd guess that the IOC wanted more skating events simply because it's one of the big money events at the Olympics. The tickets for figure skating are expensive. Cross country skiing, not so much (at the Salt Lake City Games, I bought an all day pass for xc skiing for, I think, $15). Nevermind tv/advertising revenue, related merchandise, concessions, etc. I'm not sure the powers that be believe synchro, which is little known outside of the figure skating community, could attract the same level of spending.

(I'd rather have the synchro...)

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 12:31:01 AM »
Ok, so I guess last nights final cleared up my confusion.

I am in complete agreement with what's been said here- dress rehearsal for the main event, boring to see the same routines AGAIN, etc etc etc.

Did they tack this event on at the last minute?  Is it a new (permanent) thing, or one of those exhibition events?  Hopefully the latter, but if it's permanent, perhaps in the future they'll require the skaters to come up with something unique.  Given enough notice that should be do-able.  OR, better yet, open the event up to additional skaters- if you're skating in the main event (presumably the uber-elites) then you can't skate in the Team....Could have solved the Mirai situation at least here, but some countries (e.g. France) may not have the depth of elite skaters......

But BRING ON THE SYNCHRO!  Or perhaps it's because Russia's team isn't in the top three?  If so, I root for Helsinki to be the next site for the WO.  I don't know why synchro couldn't be popular- people used to love the Ice capettes and cadets, right?  Marketing.

Offline Mergen Tatara

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 01:15:53 AM »
Sigh....only silver medal  :-\   But kudos to the Russians, they have the bona fide No.1 skaters for pairs and ladies for this Games.  With home crowd support and pressure on the judges, even Plushenko can do the impossible and win the men's gold.

Not expecting any skating gold medals at this Games.  Most probably 2 silvers for pairs and dance.  Don't think Sir Patrick or Prince Kevin can nail the men's.
Jackson Marquis Boots
Ultima Mirage Blade

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 02:41:11 PM »
Two things to add so far:

1) A co-worker who doesn't usually follow figure skating was captivated by Lipnitskaia's flexibility, and wants to watch more skating now. That's a good thing, I guess. (I keep remembering the "...and spitting out nickels" quote earlier in this thread  :)

2) The NY Times has a nice behind-the-scenes photo essay by James Hill about the training of Russian figure skating women. It's called "Russia’s Ice Skating Resurgence". I'm not sure this link will be persistent over time, but as of today, the link is:

http://sochi2014.nytimes.com/photos/slideshow/2014/02/05/sports/olympics/05russianteens_ss
Bill Schneider

Offline Schmeck

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 04:11:13 PM »
Ack, I hate when the gumby-thing gets people to watch skating. Send them to the circus instead! I wish the flexibility part of skating was removed. It really isn't a part of figure skating at all - how does being able to show everyone your crotch in multiple angles and ways equate to good skating?

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 03:58:10 PM »
I think I slept through the 90s etc...

But maybe they are trying to add something to justify building 2 stadiums?

I went back, just to make sure, and yep, in the olden days they skated on hockey ice.
I suppose with having 2 full hockey competitions going now, they needed the extra ice, now they got the ice, they need something to fill it?

I think the format is not good. As mentioned above, seeing the same routines again (hey, why not do the exhibition program in team)

Syncro would have been interesting.
But do the counties have teams ready to go?

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 04:00:28 PM »
I think I slept through the 90s etc...

But maybe they are trying to add something to justify building 2 stadiums?

I went back, just to make sure, and yep, in the olden days they skated on hockey ice.
I suppose with having 2 full hockey competitions going now, they needed the extra ice, now they got the ice, they need something to fill it?

I think the format is not good. As mentioned above, seeing the same routines again (hey, why not do the exhibition program in team)

Syncro would have been interesting.
But do the counties have teams ready to go?

You could do an exhibition program in the team event but since it wouldn't fulfill any of the requirements you would certainly come in last.

I think there is enough World support for Synchro as there are international Synchro competitions every year - Synchro Worlds, etc.

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 10:13:08 PM »
The team even could have different requirements.
it is a different event after all.

Offline Schmeck

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 10:02:38 AM »
Synchro is all set to be part of the Olympics. They are an ISU category, just like figure skating, speed skating, etc.

http://www.isu.org/en/synchronized-skating