You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Has anyone ever seen an etiquitte(m)  (Read 3311 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Has anyone ever seen an etiquitte(m)
« on: April 27, 2011, 04:10:09 PM »
list posted at a rink? I am thinking of a list such as the list agnes was creating. I ask because recently, I have witnessed and heard of toes that have been stepped on and I generally see this done by parents who just did not know. A lot of the stuff I know I have elarned from other parents or from the internet. I am wondering if there is a etiquitte list and if we should put it on the club board? Not so much as a "tsk-tsk" sort of thing, but more as a "did you know?" sort of thing. Something "official"(from USFS or another sorce) would be interesting to see. I really believe the recent incidents happened because of not knowing the correct steps to follow and what is acceptable and what isn't. it is very easy to make a mistake that could unknowingly damage your relationship with your coach.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Has anyone ever seen an etiquitte(m)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 04:43:59 PM »
Our rink has one.. they call it the responsibility code, but basically it's expectations that apply to EVERYONE on the ice.

RESPONSIBILITY CODE
Ice-Skating is for fun and enjoyment for everyone. Skating can be enjoyed in many ways. Regardless of your level of skill, there areelements of risk in ice-skating. Use common sense, show courtesy to others, and anticipate dangerous situations before they arise.The following guidelines are some basic elements of common sense and courtesy. 

1. Always stay in control and be able to stop or avoid other skaters.
2. While on the ice, keep moving. Don’t stop where you obstruct other skaters. Don’t skate in groups.
3. People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid hitting or disrupting them.

No Speeding
No Weaving
No Roughness
No Snowball or other Throwing
4. Keep exits clear. Before getting on ice, look for oncoming skaters.
Do not sit on dasher boards.
5. Don’t carry children or other items while skating. No eating, drinking or smoking on the ice.
6. Rink equipment can be dangerous. Stay off the ice when resurfacing is in progress.
7. Do not go on the ice without skates. Do not wear skates in the stands.
8. Obey the monitors. Report hazards to the monitors.
9. Respect the ice. Please do not litter or use foul language.

This is just a partial list. There are elements of risk that common sense and personal awareness can help reduce. You are ultimately responsible for your personal safety.Use caution and skate in control. Respect other skaters. The rink ‘s monitors cannot guarantee our safety and will not protect you from injury. It is part of your responsibility to avoid other skaters and hazards. Failure to use good judgement, skate responsibly, or follow the Responsibility Code will result in a loss of skating privileges.

Granted, some of these things are only loosely enforced, some really come down to the circumstances more than anything else.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 04:45:04 PM »
I'm not sure what kinds of situations you want to address, but you could start by going to the USFS web site and clicking on the "Parents" tab.  There's all kinds of information there.

Offline isakswings

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 05:54:39 PM »
I'm not sure what kinds of situations you want to address, but you could start by going to the USFS web site and clicking on the "Parents" tab.  There's all kinds of information there.

I will check there, thanks! I am looking more for coach/skater-parent etiquitte.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 05:58:53 PM »
I wrote up some stuff from the discussion we had earlier. I'll post the write up in another thread.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 06:25:25 PM »
The summary of the etiquette thread is posted in Sitting on the Boards.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 12:40:43 AM »
When you sign up for practice ice at my rink, you agree to follow guidelines on the form. 

- Under 7 can't skate without a coach
- Coaches are responsible for their students
- Must follow diagrams and guidelines (I've asked for these, they don't actually exist)
- Ice monitor and program director are in charge

Offline Schmeck

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 07:13:47 AM »
I can try to find the contract we signed when my older daughter skated - her synchro contract had a lot of good stuff about what parents were supposed to do and not do.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 08:08:45 AM »
I think the key is to be considerate of others and act the way you'd like them to treat you. 

Stay out of the gossip mill, try to be a positive influence, deal with conflict proactively and nicely.

When you want to discuss a problem, focus on that single problem, don't rehash every slight you've ever perceived.  I see this all the time - a skater is signed up for the wrong event or her name is spelled wrong, and the parents go on and on, bringing up everything in creation.  What could have been a ten-minute conversation with a good outcome becomes and hour-long bad therapy session where nothing is resolved satisfactorily.  Again, keep your business with your coach private, don't share it with the other parents at the rink.

If you make a mistake, say you're sorry and mean it!  Make plans to prevent your mistake from happening again.  Too many people gloss over the fact that they're human and made a mistake, blaming it on others or coming up with excuses.  It's one thing to say "I'm sorry, I should have taken the time to check that first.  I will in the future, but let's see if we can correct the error now." and another to say "Well, I'm really busy and I make mistakes.  That's how it is."  I really dislike it when coaches and parents blow off their mistakes and repeat the same mistakes over and over.

Just my 2¢
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 08:14:39 AM »
I can try to find the contract we signed when my older daughter skated - her synchro contract had a lot of good stuff about what parents were supposed to do and not do.
Many synchro contracts are very restrictive, including not participating in social media or message boards.  That's part of why synchroboards.com went into decline, from what the members posted.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Schmeck

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 02:50:38 PM »
I was thinking more in line of the skater-coach-parent triangle, as we've seen some issues nipped in the bud by the team placing certain language in contracts.  Can't find any synchro stuff though, I'm thinking I threw it all out when my daughter went off to college.  That means I lost everyone's phone numbers and addresses too, rats.

Offline skatingmama

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 1
    • Icexquisite Designs
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 06:28:20 PM »
Many synchro contracts are very restrictive, including not participating in social media or message boards.  That's part of why synchroboards.com went into decline, from what the members posted.

Wow, must be different in Canada. My DDs have skated Synchro for several years and we have never signed a contract of any type. Other than our registration form, we don't sign contracts for anything.
Icexquisite Designs - custom made skatewear http://www.etsy.com/shop/Icexquisite

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 06:42:44 PM »
Wow, must be different in Canada. My DDs have skated Synchro for several years and we have never signed a contract of any type. Other than our registration form, we don't sign contracts for anything.

Of course it's different.  Everything in Canada is better.  Ask any canadian.

Yes, we are crazy here in the US. 

My DD's grade-school recreational swim league insisted that 14-year old volunteer coaches sign a contract agreeing to come and coach at practices and meets.  They're VOLUNTEERS.  Unpaid volunteers that are giving up their time for a few hours of service credit that they could knock out in two stints at a food kitchen. 

That way, there was "an agreement that they couldn't weasle out of by saying 'I didn't know...'".  Sarcasm mine; quote from the league coordinator, who wasn't all there.  She also got ticked off when we gave them $25 mall gift cards - "They can't receive any money or gifts because it's supposed to be community service." 

The reality is, you cannot create legally-binding contracts with a child but she didn't want to hear that.  The end result is that kids just said "Oh, okay, nevermind." and we were short on HS volunteers every season.  I put the parents on the lanes instead, but that brought in nepotism on meet sheets.  Great idea, innit?

Synchro teams make the parents sign the contract as well.   I think in the case of synchro, it's mostly to enforce monetary and time committments.  Our team has a clause that says they must take lessons and practice on their own in addition to the team.  It's never been enforced.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline isakswings

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 12:19:54 PM »
I think the key is to be considerate of others and act the way you'd like them to treat you. 

Stay out of the gossip mill, try to be a positive influence, deal with conflict proactively and nicely.

When you want to discuss a problem, focus on that single problem, don't rehash every slight you've ever perceived.  I see this all the time - a skater is signed up for the wrong event or her name is spelled wrong, and the parents go on and on, bringing up everything in creation.  What could have been a ten-minute conversation with a good outcome becomes and hour-long bad therapy session where nothing is resolved satisfactorily.  Again, keep your business with your coach private, don't share it with the other parents at the rink.

If you make a mistake, say you're sorry and mean it!  Make plans to prevent your mistake from happening again.  Too many people gloss over the fact that they're human and made a mistake, blaming it on others or coming up with excuses.  It's one thing to say "I'm sorry, I should have taken the time to check that first.  I will in the future, but let's see if we can correct the error now." and another to say "Well, I'm really busy and I make mistakes.  That's how it is."  I really dislike it when coaches and parents blow off their mistakes and repeat the same mistakes over and over.

Just my 2¢

Thanks... this is good. :)