You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: ISI to USFSA Basic Skills Membership  (Read 9578 times)

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
ISI to USFSA Basic Skills Membership
« on: April 20, 2011, 11:58:28 AM »
Ok, so I am totally new to USFSA. My home rink just switched from ISI LTS to USFS Basic Skills. They added an extra $15 to our tuition this month for basic skills memberships. I am in basic 7/8 so after I pass this level I will need to either join a club or get an individual membership right?

Plus doesn't the year run July to June, so depending on if/when I pass the last basic level I may end up paying membership fees twice?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 12:03:24 PM »
Yes, if you join a club, you will end up paying twice- Basic Skills memberships are not full memberships.  (Our rink also requires that anyone with a full membership still pay the Basic Skills membership fee to take classes...not sure if that's double dipping, or correct.)

However, you don't necessarily need to join a club.  Basic Skills runs through Freestyle levels, and if your rink offers those, you could continue on there.  You could also skate on your own without joining the organziation (many at the rink do that).

But to test or compete as USFS, then you either need to be in a club or an individual member.  I only join when I know I have a test or want to do a competition, so I've had many years of not being a member of USFS or ISI.

Offline Debbie S

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 12:15:13 PM »
Plus doesn't the year run July to June, so depending on if/when I pass the last basic level I may end up paying membership fees twice?

I believe you can be converted from a Basic Skills member to regular USFSA member for $15. Have your club's membership chair check with USFSA. But you don't have to join a club until you are ready to test and/or compete, and you can compete in Basic Skills comps with just a Basic Skills membership.

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:19:52 PM »
Thanks I didn't realize the basic skills membership covered the freestyle levels also. I am hoping to test MITF sometime this year but haven't decided if I want to test adult or standard track.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: ISI to USFSA Basic Skills Membership
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 01:02:18 PM »
The USFSA membership year does end on June 30th so you wil get charged anoher $15 come July.

Be aware that this is an annual fee, so if you register for another cass after July, you shouldn't have to pay the fee again in the same membership year.  One of my parents caught that error this year.

another tip: ask for your membership card.  That way, you can be sure the school really registered you. 
Some schools wait until there's an accident or competition.  If they delay, they can pocket those fees without registering the students.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 01:35:41 PM »
Good to know about the membership card, thank you.

Offline Debbie S

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 02:20:30 PM »
Be aware that this is an annual fee, so if you register for another cass after July, you shouldn't have to pay the fee again in the same membership year.  One of my parents caught that error this year.

That is an interesting point. At the rink where I took lessons, there was a note on the reg form next to the fee that said it included Basic Skills membership. But we had to pay the same fee each time we signed up for another 6-week series. And truthfully, I never paid much attention to that and had no idea what "Basic Skills membership" was until I inquired with the USFSA about my member number for a comp - I had paid to join the club but hadn't received the card, turned out that the club's membership chair hadn't yet put it in with USFSA (don't ask) but in their response to me, USFSA said they had a Basic Skills membership in my name and gave me the number, which would be my USFSA number. I was like, aaaah, so that's what that all meant, lol. But I never received a card during the 2 years I was in group lessons.

I guess it would be a bureaucratic nightmare for Basic Skills programs to keep track of who has already registered during that membership year and give them different prices (in my experience, using the honor system for things like that in skating doesn't work well, everyone just chooses the cheaper option and claims they didn't understand). But it is kind of double-dipping.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 02:26:58 PM »
Our basic skills forms say "one time fee" but the counter people charge it every session unless you say something.

The thing that freaked me out, is apparently the skate director waits until she has a large batch to imput them. There was an accident on the ice, and the person sued- she hadn't been registered yet, so it was a big scramble to make sure she was documented as being part of the program!!!

The next year I made the skate director open the computer and show me where my instructor membership had been updated before I would go out onto the ice and teach.  She was hesistant, because she hadn't done it yet.  So I skipped teaching one week of classes, and the next week she showed me that I was registered.  I don't carry my own insurance so, despite her instance that it's no big deal- it was a big deal!

I've never gotten a card though, not from Basic Skills.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 03:05:21 PM »
I can see someone getting overwhelmed by a huge oile of registrations.  Because the registration can be done retroactively so people think it's okay to procrastinate.  ISI Registrations are ept in house, so unless you register as a national member, there is no real fee. 

Having enrollment handled through the front desk means that mistakes and overcharges will happen unless the skater or parent is sharp.  I remind my skating parents after each class.  On the other hand, most programs pay the instructor reg fee to the USFSA, gratis.

There's a real opportunity for basic skills programs to collect fees without any benefit for the students or coaches.

FYI: The I D cards are sent to the program director at the rink.  It's up to him/her to distribute the cards.  FWIW, all registered instructors are supposed to get a Basic Skills Instructors Manual and students may get a progress booklet.  (might be up to the Directorr to request or decline.)

-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 03:07:19 PM »
the renewal/register new system's pretty simple to use.  It just takes a few seconds per skater.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 03:24:37 PM »
The new skating school director did tell us last week that our membership cards would arrive within a few weeks, but I took it with a grain of salt because when I registered online with ISI I was told my membership card would be sent to the rink, but it never arrived.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 03:27:43 PM »
ISI charges $15 for annual individual membership

<center>http://www.skateisi.com/site/Sub.Cfm?Content=membership_individual</center>

The USFSA charges your rink $10 for Basic Skills membership.

<center>http://usfsa.org/Programs.asp?id=334</center>

So I bet your rink did not register you with ISI in your past classes, which means it did not register passing each class level with the ISI. It's not a huge deal - unless you want to test or compete outside your rink, or if you want to buy the ISI Handbook (a pretty good book) online. And of course you didn't get WeSkate magazine.

It varies from club to club, but if you want to go a little past USFSA Basic Skills, you can start with a "Bridge Membership", which is usually cheaper - but only in your first year.

<center>https://www.usfigureskating.org/Clubs.asp?id=330</center>

If your rink honestly registers you for Basic Skills, you should get Skating Magazine in the mail, so says https://www.usfigureskating.org/About.asp?id=467 - but it takes a while before the first one comes. The magazine isn't a big deal - it talks about the top USFSA skaters, which you won't be during your first year, unless you are truly divine.

BTW, only your rink, not the USFSA, keeps track of Basic Skills tests and levels, so they say. Maybe that means basic skills competitions must be local to one rink?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 03:50:13 PM »
If your rink honestly registers you for Basic Skills, you should get Skating Magazine in the mail, so says https://www.usfigureskating.org/About.asp?id=467 - but it takes a while before the first one comes. The magazine isn't a big deal - it talks about the top USFSA skaters, which you won't be during your first year, unless you are truly divine.

Basic Skills members do not get Skating magazine. They get the once yearly special edition.  If you read closely, that's what the link says.  IIRC, it contained "trading cards" of top skaters.

The magazine that full members get does focus mostly on top skaters, but it also highlights lower level skaters, and has an adult focus section.

Basic skill competition entry seems to be "honor system" when outside of your home rink.  But your entry form has to be signed by the skate director or a coach, so they should know your level.

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 03:57:52 PM »
I had paid to join the club but hadn't received the card, turned out that the club's membership chair hadn't yet put it in with USFSA (don't ask) but in their response to me, USFSA said they had a Basic Skills membership in my name and gave me the number, which would be my USFSA number. I was like, aaaah, so that's what that all meant, lol. But I never received a card during the 2 years I was in group lessons.

If you have your number and get a password to use the USFS's Members Only Site, you can print out your own (temporary) card. I believe the card is good for 45 days. I'm sure that basic Skills members can do this, but it's worth a try!

If you can't print your own card, you can ask a club officer to print one for you.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 04:00:59 PM »
A basic skills membership does NOT include Skating magazine subscription.  Subs cost more than $5.  Many programs add a $5 processing fee to the USFSA's $10 fee.  Which is why it is inexusable for them to not register.

There is no "Bridge" USFSA membership.  It's just a Basic Skills membersip that the club or school has renamed to give it some cachet.

Unless there's a new magazine, the ISI's skater version is called "Recreational Ice Skater."  It's available online at skateisi.org.   Skating magazine is online at usfsa.com
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 04:10:16 PM »
If you have your number and get a password to use the USFS's Members Only Site, you can print out your own (temporary) card. I believe the card is good for 45 days. I'm sure that basic Skills members can do this, but it's worth a try!

If you can't print your own card, you can ask a club officer to print one for you.

I doubt basic skills members can acces that site.  The school director can tell you the number, but  that doesn' show current status.  Honestly, if you're charging $5 extra for processing ...  Process And hand out the card!

No one ever checks cads at events.  You just need to save the number - it is yours for life through all levels.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 04:15:02 PM »
The new skating school director did tell us last week that our membership cards would arrive within a few weeks, but I took it with a grain of salt because when I registered online with ISI I was told my membership card would be sent to the rink, but it never arrived.

The ISI is a little more mom-and-pop than the usfsa.  Plus, this is a new program, so they probably sent an electronic list to the usfsa for processing. You can  send them an email and they'll correct their error. 
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 04:22:43 PM »
I doubt basic skills members can acces that site.  The school director can tell you the number, but  that doesn' show current status.  Honestly, if you're charging $5 extra for processing ...  Process And hand out the card!

I don't think they can. That is for full members of USFS.  Basic skills members are not full members.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 04:41:38 PM »
The club I joined this year did have a "Bridge Membership", nominally for "Learn to Skate" students, but actually open to other newbies.

Gardens Figure Skating Club
Bridge Membership 2010-2011 Option

This special category of membership, designed specifically for Gardens Ice House Learnto-
Skate participants is more suitable for younger or beginning level skaters. It includes:

*Home club membership in the Gardens Figure Skating Club for the remainder of
this season (through June 2011)

*Participation in Alice In Wonderland on Ice as part of a group number or
numbers, which includes access to specially designated Saturday Club Ice time
for rehearsal purposes, dates to be determined. Skaters wishing to practice on
Saturday Club Ice time on their own will be required to purchase ice time at our
club member ”walk on” rate.

*Membership in US Figure Skating, which would allow the skater to participate
in US Figure Skating sanctioned competitions, including the May Day Open
scheduled for May 12-15, 2011 and hosted by the Gardens Figure Skating Club.
The cost for this Option Limited- Bridge membership will be $90.00 for each interested
skater ($40.00 pro-rated limited membership fee plus $50.00 show participation fee.)
This cost is inclusive of the participation fee for the show plus a greatly reduced home
club membership fee. It should be noted that a Bridge membership may only be utilized
one time per skater. After that, any skater wishing to join the GFSC for the 2011-2012
season and participate in club related activities would be required to pay the regular
membership fee.

AFAICT, I got a full Skating magazine subscription and USFSA "full membership" with it. That club normally charged a lot more for membership and for show participation.

Maybe it was something the member club added, rather than the USFSA itself. Or maybe it got confused with the "Introductory Membership" category of which http://www.usfigureskating.org/Content/ClubsMatter-Fall10.pdf says

You can package the new introductory membership
with special benefits to welcome beginner/new skaters into your club.

The introductory membership is a full membership available to
first-time members at a discounted rate of $25 (second and subsequent
members are $15). This membership is available only through a member
club. Introductory membership carries the same privileges as a full membership,
including a subscription to SKATING magazine and all testing and
competition rights. Be creative and take advantage of this special savings
to grow your membership.

I was new to that member club, though I used to belong to the USFSA a long time ago.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 04:48:35 PM »
AFAICT, I got a full Skating magazine subscription and USFSA "full membership" with it.
You got a full membership, because it is a discount offered by your club (the introductory membership isn't available to people who were members, and then left for a long time- though by bad record keeping, you may have been able to get it)

What does NOT get a full membership is if you only join a basic skills program. Then you are just a basic skills member.  You joined a club, so you get the benefits of the club.

Clubs can charge whatever they want- but the $40 (soon to be raised to $50 if GC passes that) fee still has to go to USFS.  Our club gives free memberships to "special skaters" - they eat the fee that goes to USFS out of their own bank account, for example.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 05:01:14 PM »
Query - my mistake - your club's "Bridge" membership is an Introductory membership. It's for skaters who will be taking USFSA tests.  Again, there is no such thing as a USFSA BRIDGE membership category.   Some clubs list it to try and boost their membership counts, by having skaters move from the Basic Skills category.

It's really inapplicable to the OP because she's in LTS.  Until she chooses to take standard tests, it would be premature - she'd lose that one-time discount on membership.

I explained  this the last time you promoted the category, so if you look fffor that topic, you'll see what I mean.

You were not entitled to the Introdctory membership  rate if you had already hep a USFSA membership.  ITa With Skittl - probably poor record-keeping.  But why would you request it if you knew you were ineligible?  If you wanted the magazine, a subscription is cheaper.  She's right about the free magazine, too.  It isn't included with the basic skills membership.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 06:22:51 PM »
ISk8NYC:

The USFSA page for Introductory Membership doesn't clearly state whether you have to be a first time member of the USFSA, or only of the member club. Unless that is made clear elsewhere.

I asked the member club chair and the coach in charge of the program whether it was available, given that I had previously belonged to USFSA, which I was honest about. They said yes.

The USFSA "knew" I had belonged, because the club re-enrolled me with the same member # and test results. But maybe I should call the USFSA to find out if I cheated them or the member club.

In any event, the person did not say they had belonged to the USFSA before, so the question of whether the O.P. can join as an Introductory Member depends on whether the club allows it. Another question is whether the O.P. wants to and will be able to test or compete beyond Basic Skills, before July. Only a minority of students who just take group lessons get that far, though exceptions exist.

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 09:23:59 PM »
Actually, as a Membership Chair, I can assure you that the Introductory membership is only for people who've never belonged to USFS before. When you go online to sign someone up, the program actually asks you to "swear" that this person is a first time member. It may not be obvious from the description, but it really is the case.

Hope this helps!

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 09:34:28 PM »
It sounds like I cheated the USFSA.

I just contacted a USFSA HQ "Member Services Specialist", and offered to make up the difference. She thanked me for writing, and said it was easiest to leave things the way they are.

There isn't anything else I can think of to do

----

But this has nothing to do with the original poster.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 09:43:13 PM »
It sounds like I cheated the USFSA. So I emailed the "Member Services Specialist" listed on the USFSA main site, and offered to make up the difference. She thanked me for being honest about it, and said it was easiest to just leave things the way they are, with an Introductory Membership.

----

The original poster said

I am totally new to USFSA

So, if Basic Skills turns out not to be enough, the O.P. can join with an Introductory Membership, if the club allows it. But he/she may as well wait until it is obvious he/she will need it.