You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: USFS without a club membership?  (Read 4909 times)

Offline vesperholly

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 7
USFS without a club membership?
« on: April 09, 2011, 07:17:20 PM »
For the first time ever, I'm not going to be skating myself alongside coaching learn to skate*, so I won't be purchasing ice or testing. My club costs $115 to join as a full family member (they've long since abolished the cheaper adult membership), but offers a $40 "USFS only" membership. Has anyone done that before? Is this USFS membership different than Individual Membership? I'd rather not join another club just because it's slightly cheaper, as I've been a member of my club since the 80s.

* I can't join as a professional because I don't have a professional contract with my club. I teach classes and private lessons at a different rink.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: USFS without a club membership?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 07:45:06 PM »
If you are only teaching LTS- there is a LTS professional membership that costs $12 and comes with insurance.  When I don't have tests to put out, I don't join a club, it's just too expensive, and my rink has always covered this fee- I get a card and it says "instructor" on it, but it's the same basic skills card the kids get.

You might have to register THROUGH LTS to do this though, as it's a basic skills membership. 

I've never heard of the $40 only, but I worry that's a "fan" or "parent" thing- since it's so much different from the individual member fee- seems "too good to be true" price wise.  You probably carry your own insurance, so maybe you don't need USFSA's coverage in anyway, but I'd bet this option does not include the sport insurance and such.

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 08:53:32 PM »
This sounds like a nice option. You won't have to pay the big bucks for an Individual USFS membership (due to be raised to $120 this year). Your club can still count you as a member (really important for small clubs who need the magic 25 member minimum) and you get the discount for joining through a club. It sounds like you won't get any club benefits (or voting rights), which is a bonus for some people!

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 09:11:56 PM »
For the first time ever, I'm not going to be skating myself alongside coaching learn to skate*, so I won't be purchasing ice or testing. My club costs $115 to join as a full family member (they've long since abolished the cheaper adult membership), but offers a $40 "USFS only" membership. Has anyone done that before? Is this USFS membership different than Individual Membership? I'd rather not join another club just because it's slightly cheaper, as I've been a member of my club since the 80s.

* I can't join as a professional because I don't have a professional contract with my club. I teach classes and private lessons at a different rink.

It's either something your club is offering, or it's the first time only membership, in which case, you can't get it.  Are you sure you have to have a contract with the club for their professional membership?  My club offers a discounted membership to coaches, no contract required.
My glass is half full :)

Offline vesperholly

• Under the Edge
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 03:00:42 AM »
It's either something your club is offering, or it's the first time only membership, in which case, you can't get it.  Are you sure you have to have a contract with the club for their professional membership?  My club offers a discounted membership to coaches, no contract required.

It's not a first time membership, there's a separate line for that. And yes, I'm absolutely positive I need a contract to be considered a professional member. My club runs all the figure skating ice for the rink and you cannot teach on club ice unless you have applied as a coach and been offered a contract. I have applied as a coach in the past and was turned down.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
I've never heard of that. It almost sounds as if they are just charging you what USFS charges the clubs per member - $40 currently.  Would you still be considered a club member, but with no ice previledges?  Perhaps they are trying to keep their club membership numbers up?    

ETA: I'd talk to the club membership chair to get clarification.

Offline vesperholly

• Under the Edge
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 10:00:24 PM »
I have no idea ... if I'm still a USFS member without being a club member, I'm fine with that. I'm not skating for myself unless my job situation changes significantly, so I don't need ice time or testing. But I teach learn to skate at several rinks, and I need to maintain USFS membership. I emailed them for clarification (and also to ask if they would ever bring back the individual club membership for adult skaters, which used to be about $40 cheaper).

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 10:04:08 PM »
Are you teaching privates too?  Because if it's just LTS- the fee is like $12 for an instructor membership.  The rink has always covered it for me- but that's all I've ever done...I was not a club member, or "individual member" of USFS for a few years I taught LTS.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 10:17:01 PM »
I have no idea ... if I'm still a USFS member without being a club member, I'm fine with that. I'm not skating for myself unless my job situation changes significantly, so I don't need ice time or testing. But I teach learn to skate at several rinks, and I need to maintain USFS membership. I emailed them for clarification (and also to ask if they would ever bring back the individual club membership for adult skaters, which used to be about $40 cheaper).
You don't need a full USFSA membership to coach Basic Skills groups or Basic Skills privates. 
You can purchase a Basic Skills Instructor membership using your current USFSA number.

Under 18: $10 if you only teach groups: http://www.usfsa.org/Programs.asp?id=119  (Most rinks traditionally pay for this for all coaches.)
18 or older: $30 http://www.usfsa.org/content.asp?menu=coaches&id=486  (This is NEW afaik.)

If you want to teach private lessons outside of Basic Skills, you would need a full membership.  Otherwise, each Basic Skills program has to register you as an instructor.

The "USFSA Only" option at your club just enhances their member count and gives you the required membership at a bargain price.  It doesn't give you any Club voting rights, which makes me wonder if that's not the purpose.  By the same token, you don't have to do the volunteer hours - that's probably why they did away with the adult skater option. 

If you want to present students for tests and competitions, you need to also pay for the coaches' registration and CER.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 08:42:48 AM »
It's $30 now?  That's a lot more than what it used to be...

Offline vesperholly

• Under the Edge
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 05:34:16 PM »
You don't need a full USFSA membership to coach Basic Skills groups or Basic Skills privates.  
You can purchase a Basic Skills Instructor membership using your current USFSA number.

Under 18: $10 if you only teach groups: http://www.usfsa.org/Programs.asp?id=119  (Most rinks traditionally pay for this for all coaches.)
18 or older: $30 http://www.usfsa.org/content.asp?menu=coaches&id=486  (This is NEW afaik.)

If you want to teach private lessons outside of Basic Skills, you would need a full membership.  Otherwise, each Basic Skills program has to register you as an instructor.

A Basic Skills coaching membership is not an option, for many reasons but the largest being that the rinks I teach at do not use USFS Basic Skills. I do teach private lessons. Also, I'm on a national USFS committee, so I don't think I could be on the committee without USFS membership. I'd really hate to lose the old USFS number I got back in the early 90s!

I e-mailed the club, but the office is closed for Easter break.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 05:41:32 PM »
You're probably right about the committee- but you won't lose the number.  I went a few years without membership, and my number is the same now that i've rejoined.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 10:48:27 PM »
I'd really hate to lose the old USFS number I got back in the early 90s!

You won't... I can rejoin with the same # I received in 1996... I was only a member for one year.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 11:58:39 PM »
A Basic Skills coaching membership is not an option, for many reasons but the largest being that the rinks I teach at do not use USFS Basic Skills. I do teach private lessons. Also, I'm on a national USFS committee, so I don't think I could be on the committee without USFS membership. I'd really hate to lose the old USFS number I got back in the early 90s!

I e-mailed the club, but the office is closed for Easter break.

As Skittl said, your USFSA # is yours for life.  When I returned after 10 years of lapsed membership, they reactivated my ID# and gave me credit for my tests as well.
I know some people have said they have separate USFSA and Basic Skills numbers, but it's not necessary.

Just go with the Club's USFSA membership only option.  You really want to be a full USFSA member, so that's the most affordable option.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 06:17:31 AM »
I should also add that USFSA is quite happy to look up your membership info... I was actually surprised at how quickly they got back to me with everything when I asked.

Offline Petlover

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 09:35:32 AM »
I'm switching to individual membership this year, don't like the direction the club is going.  I'm actually looking forward.