You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Poll

How would you vote?

FOR
0 (0%)
AGAINST
5 (83.3%)
ABSTAIN
1 (16.7%)
Doesn't affect me/my skater
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: March 17, 2011, 12:36:35 PM

Author Topic: USFS is increasing its fees, June 2011  (Read 8488 times)

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
Re: USFS is increasing its fees, June 2011
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 11:17:37 AM »
I'm curious, what are the procedures for individual members to elect their delegates to GC?

Obviously, I'm not an individual member, so I have no idea how many IMs are in my section. However, there might come a day when I elect to become an IM. 

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2011, 04:05:18 PM »
Why do you some of you register yourself as Individual members?

Do I understand this right: The primary benefits of individual membership are

(1) You get a rulebook (it still says so on the USFSA site).
(2) You can test on any club's test sessions.
(3) You don't have to worry about whether your club entered you for USFSA membership or for a test or competition on time, because you did it yourself. Because they are volunteer run, some clubs may be a little slow.
(4) You may also be able to buy manuals and materials that only clubs and program directors can buy. It's hard to tell. Wouldn't count on it. For example, can you register yourself as a Basic Skills Program, and then buy their materials?

All organizations, even non-profits, love to control lots and lots of money. For their own benefit, as well as others.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2011, 04:20:20 PM »
Why do you some of you register yourself as Individual members?
The time I did it was so that I didn't need anyone to sign my test forms.  We didn't have a local club, and the club I was testing in was quite far away, so it wouldn't be the club I joined. The club would have joined was at another rink, and I would have had to gone there and track down a club officer I didn't know.  It just didn't seem worth it. Too many politics for no benefit.

At the time rulebook was not a pdf online, so it was nice to have as well.

As a club member, you can still test on any club session, but you have to pay guest fees.  So do individual members.

You cannot register yourself as a Basic Skills member, because Basic Skills is a LTS class membership.  You can't be an individual LTS class.

Offline LilJen

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 56
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 09:59:50 AM »
This may not matter for many of us, but individual members also get last priority WRT test schedules--for example, if a test session is getting filled up, club members get first priority and individual members may get bumped off the test schedule (in addition to paying the "not a club member" fee).

We're fortunate in that our club doesn't charge much for membership, but then the functions of the club have waned in recent years. The rink, not the club, offers FS ice (although only club members are allowed to skate, if I remember correctly), and the club no longer buys ice from the rink for club members. Other clubs ask you to buy a "subscription" of sorts for ice for the season, which bumps up their membership fees considerably.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 10:09:23 AM »
This may not matter for many of us, but individual members also get last priority WRT test schedules--for example, if a test session is getting filled up, club members get first priority and individual members may get bumped off the test schedule (in addition to paying the "not a club member" fee).

Do individual members get bumped for members of other clubs too?  Or just from the club offering the test session?  (Is there some USFS rule about that?)

I would expect that the members of the club offering the session have first dibs- then everyone else.  I don't see why an individual is any different from a member of another club. Clubs around here tend to offer like 1 or 2 test sessions a year, so maybe it's a bit different- I know there are clubs in other states that do them monthly.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2011, 09:26:08 PM »
I was told a couple clubs I used to belong too didn't usually allow people to test with other clubs. But that was a long time ago, and maybe it was wrong. Or maybe it varies by club.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 11:01:19 PM »
Do individual members get bumped for members of other clubs too? 

I think it depends on the club... mine states "Applications will be prioritized by Members, then Associate Members, then Non-Members and by the date received within each category."

I would think that there is no distinction between an individual USFSA member and a non-member of the club.... most people join other clubs as associates basically to save on test (and other) fees as I understand it - usually an associate membership fee is less than the guest fee would be for two test sessions.

I was told a couple clubs I used to belong too didn't usually allow people to test with other clubs.

I think this varies by club... ours states that to test on one of our test sessions you need permission from your home club.  I don't think this means anything more than wanting to make sure that information is communicated appropriately.

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 07:03:34 AM »
As in registering for competitions, permission from the home club is required so that the member's status is assured. The home club will not sign off permission to test or compete unless the member is 'in good standing' -- has no outstanding bills with the club and is eligible to take the test or enter the event s/he is requesting. Other than that, I don't know of any way the home club can stop a member from testing with another club.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 09:25:53 AM »
Hmmmm--did the "ice time" rule change or did it get more broadly interpreted to include test sessions, performances, etc.?

From my old (2008) RB:

"MR 6.09 [club obligations]: "Maintain current arrements during its normal skating season for the obtaining of ice time at a rink or other location where ice is available, for the exclusive use of the club. Either the club or the rink may run the session as long as it is exclusive to the club. [...]"

The club per se wouldn't have to host ice time for its members. The rink could do it, though most rinks like to make money and are loathe to forbid paying customers (i.e. non-club members) from getting on the ice.

I would be interested to know your clubs handle this requirement. :)
My rink doesn't have the "excusive use" for club ice...as long as you can skate you can pay the extra $2 plus ice fee and skate. The way the club looks at it-it's revenue for the club, which is sorely needed, why turn anyone away. 

I'm thinking of joining another rink's club next season, as a collegiate member, which my club does not offer. U of De offers-4 years for $180...I can walk on to my rink's ice as a non-member for $1 more per hour. So, it's a no-brainer, and since I'll be in college until I get my MSN......well it's a no-brainer.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!