You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ice Shows or Competition  (Read 2308 times)

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Total GOE: 11
  • Ice is Nice
    • Allocca Biotechnology, LLC
Ice Shows or Competition
« on: March 19, 2014, 11:41:56 AM »
I'm coming back to skating after a 12 year absence due to knee injuries. I'm currently waiting for my custom skates to be made. I'm age 65 and I skate freestyle.

I'm wondering if I would want to participate in shows or compete or both?

It would be interesting to hear what others want and do.

John :)

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
Re: Ice Shows or Competition
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 02:29:42 PM »
I think it really comes down to your preferences and goals. Honestly, I don't even know what I would want to do, haha!  I do think shows give you a great opportunity to practice your program and work on any nervous jitters if you do want to compete though! :)

Offline skatezilla

• Searching for my back edges
  • Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 04:16:41 PM »
I started skating at age 59. Because I'd been involved in musical theater for 30 years prior to that, I was very interested in performing in shows and doing competitions. I did a short duet in our rink's fall show when I'd only been skating for 4 months. If you're interested, do it! It's a lot of fun and gives you a goal.....in my case that is usually not falling down!

Offline cbskater

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 07:46:15 PM »
I started skating 4 years ago as an adult who never skated when I was a child. I have done both shows & competitions. I have been in a group number with other adults in the annual holiday show twice. That I did for fun with my friends that I take group lessons with. As long as I don't fall, I figure a lot of the audience won't even realize if I make a mistake.

When our group lesson coach first asked me about competing I laughed at her. Then I found out some of the other Basic Skills adults were going to do it, so I signed up too. I have done several competitions all at my home rink over the last 3 years. While I get tired of practicing the same program over & over, it really helps me to improve my skating. Every time I have competed, I haven't done the level that I'm comfortable with. I've done the next level up, which is a stretch for me to accomplish.

I have a goal of doing the ISI Adult Championships this year, so I'm competing as much as possible this year. I'm planning my first away competition in May. I still get very nervous & shaky legged in front of judges. I also have a goal of doing my Pre-Bronze moves test this year. I am really looking forward to doing that & getting the form with the feedback from the judges.

I would say if you have any interest to try it & find out if you enjoy it. I wouldn't say I love performing or competing, but I enjoy the challenge of learning the program & executing the routine well (or at least not horrible :)) I think as I become a more accomplished skater that I will enjoy the programs more as they will have more fun elements in them.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 07:48:48 PM »
What test level have you passed?  That would determine what level you would need to compete at if you choose to compete. Have you competed in the adult competitions before (assuming you are in the U.S.)?  Lots of fun and comraderie!

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 08:49:44 AM »
I tested at Freestyle 1. Then, competed. Then, knees gave out. Cartilage is now rebuilt. ISI changed the age rules since I skated. It was 21 or over. I competed against guys in their 20's. I came in second place. Now, it is within 10 years of your age.

John

Offline Gabby on Ice

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 04:25:13 PM »
I have done 2 competitions so far. I also did a duet with a girl in my rink's holiday show. I would much rather compete then do an ice show. I don't care what place I take, I just love competing. My first competition, I was the only skater on my level. So I wanted to test up just so I could compete against someone other than myself, even if it meant I wouldn't place well. I was surprised when I came in first  :)

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 05:11:51 PM »
I hear you Gabby. I try to think I'm not competitive. But, I am. I will probably do both.

John :)