You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: A problem I never thought I'd have.. Weight Gain  (Read 3671 times)

Offline pegasus99

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 8
A problem I never thought I'd have.. Weight Gain
« on: March 13, 2014, 06:22:10 PM »
The Polar Vortexes have left me with a weird problem - I can't keep on weight. I'm eating normally (healthfully) but I'm at the lower limit of a body weight where I'm functional. Right now I'm tired a lot and I feel bony. My husband's mentioned it, my chiro has mentioned it. I do tend towards anemia, but I don't think I'm anemic yet (I'm not passing out.)

I'm trying to think of ways to gain weight in a healthy way.. Avocados, natural nut butters are all I can think of. Also maybe going from a fat free Greek yogurt to a full fat variety? 

I already cook with straight butter and use natural sugar in things. (No Chemicals)

Believe me, I'm just as weirded out by this as anyone can be... and as much as I'd love to take this chance to have more than my monthly Double Cheeseburger with Everything from Five Guys, I'd like to stay healthy about putting some weight back on after this brutal winter!

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
Re: A problem I never thought I'd have.. Weight Gain
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 09:08:38 PM »
You can be anemic without passing out. You can still eat healthily but apparently you need to eat more of what you are eating. Unexplained weight loss can be a sign of a medical problem. You should probably arrange to see a doctor.

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 09:09:08 PM »
Let's see...I have a 10 year old who needs some help keeping weight on and staying at a healthy weight.  His pediatrician recommended a large breakfast-stuff like scrambled eggs, whole wheat pancakes, bacon, etc.  We also do quite a few nuts for him.  Maybe whole milk as a drink? 

Offline Cush

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 09:18:54 PM »
For me if I stick with eating mostly healthy fats and proteins I maintain my weight. I even find myself inadvertently losing weight that I don't want to lose. The moment I increase my carbs the pounds pack on in quick time. Maybe you need to adjust the balance?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 10:05:59 PM »
You can be anemic without passing out. You can still eat healthily but apparently you need to eat more of what you are eating. Unexplained weight loss can be a sign of a medical problem. You should probably arrange to see a doctor.

I agree with this.  I have been severely anemic several times in my life and I've never once passed out, from anything, ever.

Dramatic weight loss (or gain) without a dramatic change in your diet or activity level signifies the need to see a doctor - there might be nothing wrong, but it's still worth getting checked out just to make sure.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 10:10:00 PM »
Have the doctor check your thyroid, especially if this situation is unusual for your body

Offline pegasus99

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 10:09:53 AM »
I've had my thyroid checked a few times, and honestly, I think it's just the extreme cold and stress. My commute makes me walk a mile and a half, and when it's thirty below, that's brutal. If it goes on, sure, I'll see my doctor, but I think I'm fine. When I get into the stressful part of Tech'ing a show, I forget to eat.

We talked about this a few nights ago, and other folks around here are having the same problem.

Maybe I will take this chance to eat all the pad thai I can...  ;D