You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Klingbeil closing :(  (Read 21479 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Klingbeil closing :(
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2012, 05:01:34 PM »
Dear valued customers,

We at Klingbeil want to thank you for your wonderful letters and suport. Its because of you we are still in business. We are sincerely grateful (sp) for the increased demand for our boots. We should be on Channel 7 News in New York Jan 17 at 5 pm. I hope you can watch it.

Thank You,
 Donald Klingbeil

That's a little ambiguous. Does it mean they're not closing? Or that they're thankful for our previous support? Or that they're extending the closing for the last few customers?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2012, 05:37:09 PM »
I was confused by that too.  I am thinking maybe it's that they were able to stay open a bit longer to do the rest of the orders?  Realistically, what they are experiencing is a phenomenon that doesn't guarantee future success; in fact, it may cause a drought in orders in the future. If people are doing planning replacements now, instead of later, that means that the huge uptick in sales now will be matched by a drop in future sales.

Offline Debbie S

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2012, 11:50:41 PM »
That's a little ambiguous. Does it mean they're not closing? Or that they're thankful for our previous support? Or that they're extending the closing for the last few customers?

I interpreted it to mean that loyal customers are what has allowed them to stay in business this long. And the current rush for boots has kept them open a bit longer than they intended.

It would be great if they reconsidered, but I suspect they've thought about this for a while and reached the point where they just couldn't sustain the business anymore. :(

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2012, 06:00:37 PM »
I am Super Disappointed in Klingbeil right now!

I ordered new insoles for $45 plus $10 shipping.  They just arrived, and they are plain leather insoles with almost no padding, and only at the heel ends.  The ones in my boots are thickly padded on the entire length, which is why I wanted a second pair.  I could buy what they sent me at the drugstore.  I tried to email a pic to them, but the web site does not have an email address, only a contact form.  Anyone have that address?  I would email the pic, then call.
My glass is half full :)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2012, 08:18:48 PM »
I am Super Disappointed in Klingbeil right now!

I ordered new insoles for $45 plus $10 shipping.  They just arrived, and they are plain leather insoles with almost no padding, and only at the heel ends.  The ones in my boots are thickly padded on the entire length, which is why I wanted a second pair.  I could buy what they sent me at the drugstore.  I tried to email a pic to them, but the web site does not have an email address, only a contact form.  Anyone have that address?  I would email the pic, then call.

SKTBOOTMAN@AOL.COM

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2012, 12:20:28 PM »
Thanks.  I called and spoke with Lorraine this morning, who gave me the email.  Sent the pix and am going in Fri to bring the insoles.  I'm sure they'll fix them up, but I hate the hassle, especially after paying $10 for shipping.
My glass is half full :)

Offline NoVa Sk8r

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2012, 06:08:39 PM »
A news piece that ABC TV just did this evening on Klingbeil:
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=8508693

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2012, 07:27:13 PM »
A news piece that ABC TV just did this evening on Klingbeil:
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=8508693

You're wonderful!  Thanks so much for sharing the link.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2012, 07:43:46 PM »
From the article and the interview, Klingbeil's was down to fewer than 15 orders a week. 

The 2008 crash must have taken out a lot of kids from skating. My rink has some freestyles that are practically empty.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2012, 08:02:15 PM »
To me, I think Klingbeil was forgotten and they need to promote and market their products better.  Their internet presence was severely lacking and they were using the same advertisements from ages ago.  They're not tech-savvy, which is part of the charm, but they really do need to step it up and reach out to new customers.  (I had this conversation with Don and Wil (whose name I can't spell) last year.)

A consultant or even a college intern could help them revamp their marketing plans and become active on the internet.  I'm cheered by seeing the Facebook posts, so it's possible there will be a turnaround.  They need a little help getting there, imo.  (And a good spell-check, lol.  I say that with ♥ for the company/people.)

Look at the websites of their competitors - SP-Teri is very active, Harlick even has their travel plans online for fittings.  If they're not ready to retire, they need to get in the game and show that they're still playing.

Offline NoVa Sk8r

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2012, 10:36:40 PM »
To me, I think Klingbeil was forgotten and they need to promote and market their products better.  Their internet presence was severely lacking and they were using the same advertisements from ages ago.  They're not tech-savvy, which is part of the charm, but they really do need to step it up and reach out to new customers.  (I had this conversation with Don and Wil (whose name I can't spell) last year.)
Amen. I had this exact conversation with Janice and Lorraine a year ago after they asked me what I thought.

I really wish that Sarah Hughes, Sasha Cohen, and Tim Goebel--who all wear Klingbeil boots--would do some print ads and/or be interviewed to be placed on the Klingbeil site and in Skating magazine (and other places).

I was at the Klingbeil shop today to pick up my relined skates and hope that I get to return!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2012, 11:36:38 PM »
Amen. I had this exact conversation with Janice and Lorraine a year ago after they asked me what I thought.

I really wish that Sarah Hughes, Sasha Cohen, and Tim Goebel--who all wear Klingbeil boots--would do some print ads and/or be interviewed to be placed on the Klingbeil site and in Skating magazine (and other places).

It's not just marketing, it's the product line too. They essentially have one "good" product, which is the custom boot; that market is diminishing as an increasingly sophisticated range of stock boots from a variety of manufacturers makes it far more likely that a skater will be able to get a stock boot that fits nicely and is available immediately - not in 4 to 6 weeks.  So, less people need customs.

I see Harlick as the closest "model" to Klingbeil - and Harlicks has a dreadful website. However, they have a strong fan base, and a wider range of boots, and, you're right, they do travel to fittings. I've handled more than few pairs of stock Klings.  They are heavy (barring the ultralight), basic, all leather skates, with nothing much in the way of features to them. They are generally far longer to break in than a heat molded skate, and, far more likely to need multiple adjustments for fittings, punching, etc, as they are - old fashioned, all leather skates that have to be broken in the old-fashioned way.  Given the choice between "on the ice and go" with a heat molded boot, or "break in and adjust and work them in over a few weeks or so" - which way are most kids and parents going to go?

If you look at a Harlick stock boot, it's much more sophisticated and more more up to date, and have a wider range of options, styles, etc.  We won't even discuss the all singing, all dancing Riedells, or the funky trendy Edeas (with their rhinestones and other techno features).

My kids check out the feet of the skaters they see on the TV: SPTeri, Edea, Riedell, Harlick ... they've never seen a Klingbeil.  The skaters you mention - other than Sasha, who seems to be in/out of retirement - aren't skaters in the forefront of skating any longer ... I remember Tim Goebels, but, I don't think my teenagers would ...

The other issue, this huge backlog of skates: that may be the entire forward looking market for Klings for the next year pushed back into 2 months of "get 'em before they're gone" orders. I know that the Kling skaters around here did that - they ordered now instead of later, so, what would have been a June order became a January order ... meaning that there is nothing in the pipe for June ... and, if they're that backlogged, any new customers who are intrigued may not be willing to wait around the length of time necessary to get the skates ...

Sorry, I think Don is great, I love the skates he's made for my kid - I wish the world was different - but, maybe it's the MBA in me, I'm just looking at the business model.

Offline Debbie S

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2012, 12:26:50 PM »
It's not just marketing, it's the product line too. They essentially have one "good" product, which is the custom boot; that market is diminishing as an increasingly sophisticated range of stock boots from a variety of manufacturers makes it far more likely that a skater will be able to get a stock boot that fits nicely and is available immediately - not in 4 to 6 weeks.  So, less people need customs.

I see Harlick as the closest "model" to Klingbeil - and Harlicks has a dreadful website. However, they have a strong fan base, and a wider range of boots, and, you're right, they do travel to fittings. I've handled more than few pairs of stock Klings.  They are heavy (barring the ultralight), basic, all leather skates, with nothing much in the way of features to them. They are generally far longer to break in than a heat molded skate, and, far more likely to need multiple adjustments for fittings, punching, etc, as they are - old fashioned, all leather skates that have to be broken in the old-fashioned way.  Given the choice between "on the ice and go" with a heat molded boot, or "break in and adjust and work them in over a few weeks or so" - which way are most kids and parents going to go?

Hmmm, I've been told by other skaters who have tried both that Harlicks are heavier than Klingbeils, but maybe that's changed. Mine are much lighter than the stock SP-Teris I previously had, but my SP-Teris were way too much boot for me. All things considered, my Klingbeils were fairly comfortable even when I first started skating on them. I think it took a couple weeks before they were officially broken in, but I did not get any blisters or similar problems during the process. Even with a heat-molded boot, there is still a break-in process (I've had them). My boots only needed adjusting right after I got them, before I even skated in them - I tried them on when they arrived and they were a little big around the ankle, but I've heard of others having the same thing so I suspect Klingbeil always makes them a bit big - easier to make smaller after the fact than it is to make them larger, I guess. I called Klingbeil and it happened that I was going to Nats that year (2006) and they were a vendor and this was late December, so I just waited a couple weeks, tried them on for Don in person, and he took the skates with him back to NY. I think I got them about a week after he would have gotten back.

I haven't seen them at Nats for a few years - I didn't go in 07 or 08 but did go in 09 - but I've heard USFSA charges vendors insane fees. And I suspect Regionals and Sectionals are better places to find clientele. And large summer comps, like Liberty, which Klingbeil does attend each year. Exhibiting at more of those comps, revamping their website, and using social media (they do have a FB but there's a lot more they could be doing with it) would go a long way toward capturing new customers.

My kids check out the feet of the skaters they see on the TV: SPTeri, Edea, Riedell, Harlick ... they've never seen a Klingbeil.  The skaters you mention - other than Sasha, who seems to be in/out of retirement - aren't skaters in the forefront of skating any longer ... I remember Tim Goebels, but, I don't think my teenagers would ...

From her Twitter, it appears Sasha Cohen is no longer in Klingbeils. She mentioned breaking in new skates in December, which involved heat molding, and posted a pic. They looked like Jacksons. However, there are current elites who wear Klingbeils. Someone on another board mentioned Keegan Messing, and I'm sure there are others. Klingbeil should definitely use that in advertising.

The other issue, this huge backlog of skates: that may be the entire forward looking market for Klings for the next year pushed back into 2 months of "get 'em before they're gone" orders.

Good point. Although if they were to still be open in June, I would probably order a new pair at that point. Right now, I've still got a good year or more to go with my current skates, and having been laid off for 9 months (starting a new job in 2 weeks), I can't afford $650 for skates right now

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2012, 03:50:57 PM »
From her Twitter, it appears Sasha Cohen is no longer in Klingbeils. She mentioned breaking in new skates in December, which involved heat molding, and posted a pic. They looked like Jacksons.

I know she has *tried* Jacksons in the past and had some of her best success in Klings, but the hooks are wrong in the twitter pic for the possibility that they are Jacksons.. I think they are almost definitely Grafs.

I do think that social media would be a great asset for Kling as well as getting more of the "who's in kings" out there.. I know that Jackson is constantly posting on their FB page the big names that have just gotten new boots - both long time Jackson skaters and new ones.  It keeps the buzz going - SP Teri does very much the same, I'm not sure about Harlick.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2012, 07:54:57 AM »
Another Klingbeil Facebook update:

Klingbeil skating boots

Dear Valued Customers,
 Due to the great increase in boot orders Klingbeil will still be taking orders for boots.Because of you wonderfull Skaters we are still operating and our delivery time is 6-8 weeks. We can not give you a date when we will stop taking orders at this time.We will try to energize our company and keep our doors open as long as we can.Thank you again we never expected to be open at this time and its because of you our skating family.
 Thank You,
 Donald Klingbeil
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Klingbeil-skating-boots/292901017391686

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2012, 10:44:16 AM »
Topic closed since current plans are that Klingbeil will be sold/moved to Manhattan for future business.

Klingbeil NOT Closing *Updated 1/30/2012*
http://skatingforums.com/index.php/topic,2950.0.html

Nothing is solid, yet, though.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2012, 12:35:43 PM »
Because of the comments in this discussion, I sent Klingbeil the following message:

"I understand you are planning to closing, but are remaining open to service those orders now coming in. I will be very sorry to see you go.

"If you want to extend the time that orders continue to come in rapidly, I suggest three changes to your web page:

"(1) Put the prices back on the web page. Your custom boots have always been priced very competitively. By dropping the price from the web page, you lost a major selling point.

"(2) Put the fact that you will be closing soon, and that people must order soon if they want skates, on the web page.

"(3) Put your fitting schedule on the web page. In particular, if your rep will travel to do fits, say when and where."

If people have other suggestions, perhaps they would be welcome.