You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

On the Ice > Sitting on the Boards Rink Side

Figure Skating -- Quick Q's & A's

<< < (12/16) > >>

drskater:
Isk8NYC-- I hear you with regard to USFS Basic Skills and ISI Group Lessons. I really thought Basic Skills was pretty recent; it certainly "took over" what ISI had been doing for years. I dunno--the 1968 date struck me as incredible too but it is cited on the USFS Fact Sheet for 2009-2010. I just wonder if they came up with some loose form of the program and only implemented it much much later.

According to Ellyn Kestnabum, "The USFSA did not include freestyle requirements in any of its tests until the 1960s, beginning with the eighth (senior) test and adding freestyle components to the sixth and seventh (junior) tests, and finally to the fourth (novice) test in 1970, before introducing a separate freestyle test stream at all levels in 1977-1978," [Culture on Ice, p. 83].

So *ding ding* Icedancer2-- ✔ you are; you need to ask a question, please!

techskater:
I started skating in the mid-70s and there was a USFSA basic skills program at our rink and had seemed pretty established, so 1968 may be right.  I still have my LTS USFSA badges somewhere...

It was in the late 70s when the figures and FS tests were separated when the current FS test requirements were made.  Prior to 1978 (?), the Senior FS test only had a single Axel on it.

icedancer:

--- Quote from: techskater on September 26, 2010, 09:38:04 AM ---  Prior to 1978 (?), the Senior FS test only had a single Axel on it.

--- End quote ---

The Senior FS test still only has "axel-type jump" required - you can do a single axel - and the highest double required is the double lutz - no required triples on that test.

What year were the MITF implemented?

FigureSpins:
That's too hard!
My initial guess was the early 1990's, but I couldn't find a timeline anywhere to confirm that.

This site says 1994: http://www.margaretswinchoski.com/MS_Skating.html

How about a fun trivia question: how many times do your feet touch the ice during a side toe hop jump?  (From entry to finish)

Sierra:
Not counting the foot that is stood on before hopping, three times. Tap tap glide. It can be left foot tap, right foot tap left glide or right foot tap left foot tap right glide.

I should know-- I spent my summer practicing waltz side toe waltz!

Who is the oldest female singles skater to have competed at the Olympics?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page