You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Amount of one-on-one attention in group lessons  (Read 2310 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Amount of one-on-one attention in group lessons
« on: September 27, 2010, 02:16:47 PM »
OK the Adult LTS thread reminds of an old question that I wanted to ask. How much attention do you expect from the instructor in group lessons?

For example, suppose an hourly group lesson consisting of 5 students, and the general structure is group activity for half hour and one-on-one instruction for half hour, would you *demand* that the second half of the lesson be more or less equally distributed among each student?

Or do you think it's OK for the instructor to consistently direct significantly more attention toward a student who has glaring technique problems? (2x or 3x more than everyone else lesson after lesson)

Take the same question to semi-privates with the same 5 students. Would your expectation change?

ETA: thanks Isk8NYC for pointing out semi-private is usually 2-3.

Thanks for your inputs!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Amount of one-on-one attention in group lessons
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 02:52:08 PM »
I don't know of any rink that allows 5-person semi-privates for the very reason that it's a small group.  Most rinks cap semi-privates at three students.  The group size and ice needs are too much for a public or freestyle session.  Plus, it cuts into the group lesson program enrollment, which produces more money for the rink than privates. 

I teach groups as one lesson.  No one gets "individual" attention for more than a minute or two at a time.  I usually arrange the students so that I can instruct each of them on their style, but I speak to, and demonstrate for, the entire group in between each attempt.

The problem is in mixed-level groups: you have to plan your lesson in advance so that you can have two Basic 3 skaters doing two-foot turns on the circle while the three Basic 4 skaters are working on one-foot turns using the heart-top tracings I draw with my marker. 

Last year, our schedule had two different group lessons scheduled back-to-back.  The first half hour, I taught one (1!) skater at the FS1 level.  The second half-hour, I taught three FS1, 2 FS2 and a FS3 skater.  The rink was paying me the same amount for both sessions, so I asked all the second-session FS1 parents to come for the first lesson instead, so that their skaters would get a more focused lesson.  It also made the second lesson easier.  Win-win all around.

When I substitute, I can't always find common elements, so I split the class physically and skills-wise.  That means they have to practice on their own a bit, but I check in with them from the corner of my eye, even if I'm working with someone else, I'll call out "() - you're dropping the free hip.  Hold it in check."

That's the ideal, but not every group lesson instructor can manage that, so they turn a group lesson into a series of private/semi-private lessons.  I've heard instructors say "Well, there are three skaters, so I give each one ten minutes."  I'm not a clock-watcher, (and I never wear my glasses, lol) so I wouldn't feel comfortable rationing the time like that, I'd be afraid of a student feeling cheated.  (Perception is interesting: the students who've complained about other instructors are usually the ones who have the "first lesson" in this situation.  They may be getting their allotted time, but being left on their own for the remaining 20 minutes tints their perspective.)

I will say that, if the issue is that a handful of students need assistance to skate, the instructor should be able to ask the Director to assign a helper or recommend a few ramp-up private lessons.  If the one-on-one imbalance persists for more than two or three lessons, that's definitely an issue.  I don't know how to broach the subject between a student and the Instructor or Director - you'd have to be very diplomatic, so as to not complain about the instructor, but get the assistance needed to make the class a success.  At many rinks, the Adult instructors stay the same throughout the year.

I've had students in NY change days to avoid a particular instructor that they didn't like or that they preferred - maybe that would work in this situation so you could avoid the student who monopolizes the class.

In a lot of cases, the skaters don't practice at all, which makes every lesson a supervised practice and review of the prior week's lesson.  While they may think it's too hard to pass the levels, the reality is that they're holding themselves back by not practicing and coming prepared for class each week.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 11:42:22 AM »
If the semi-private has radically different levels (ex: 1 FS1, a Basic 3 and a beginner), I split the time more than in a group lesson.  I'll do warmup as a group, give out "assignments" to get each started, then teach from low-to-high, checking in with everyone at some point.

I don't think 8-10 minute private lessons are effective. 
I would ask that the semi-private be lengthened to 45 minutes instead of 30.  Just mho.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 11:38:02 PM »
In group lessons - I realise the coach needs to teach to the group, I don't expect constant attention.

What I do expect is that they ensure that they take the time to examine all the skaters in the group - because we alternate coaches every 2nd week I feel like one is much better at watching each individual at least a couple of times in the (1hr) lesson. I don't expect it to be a lot but don't set the task & skate off and expect us to follow while your back is turned (one of my pet peeves).

I would like feedback - if we practice the same thing e.g. 1 foot glides over a number of weeks I'd at least like a couple of quick pointers or comments that its all OK - that way I'm not reinforcing bad habits/incorrect techniques. If someone needs more help, that's OK but I would expect that to work out evenly overall.

My bother is a classic, while the rest of us are swizzle capable and racing off across the rink, he's stuck futzing around trying to get it - only 1 coach took the time to devote to helping him - just a few minutes to pull backwards so he gets the idea how its supposed to feel, we're OK making our own way across on our own. Little things like that help that person get the skill, we all know if the basics aren't in place the harder moves don't come, you'll end up driving everyone crazy in the end...

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 03:39:46 PM »
Hmmm if everyone is working on the same element I agree the weakest student will require more attention. On the other hand is it fair to other students who paid the same class fees but are barely getting the benefit of feedback especially if the lesson time less warm up is very short? Everyone has room for improvement, after all. Guess the answer is matter of fact :)

The scenario I described in the opening post happens to be a mixed level freestyle where everyone is working on different stuff, hence it was indeed like a series of mini-privates. The student was taking lessons for the first time, self-taught thru the LTS into single jumps. Anyways, it's no longer an issue. I was just really curious what everyone thinks because to me the class felt awkward with this imbalance.

Many thanks!