You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Weak Knees and Ankles: Exercises Off Ice  (Read 5647 times)

Offline justamoose

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
Weak Knees and Ankles: Exercises Off Ice
« on: March 09, 2015, 10:06:28 PM »
My ankles are the worst! Does anyone have any good exercises off-ice to strengthen ankles? I've seen those stretchy things you have to buy, but seeing as I'm spending a ton of money already, I was wondering if anyone had any exercises that can be done anywhere, (like in my case, at work in my office :) hehe)
Also, knees. 

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
Re: Weak Knees and Ankles: Exercises Off Ice
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 10:55:58 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXqRccmZDo

FWIW, I do this one every morning.  I use 2x 10L water bottles for weights.

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 08:14:15 AM »
For something a little less robust you could do any of the one legged yoga poses or tai chi type exercises. Stand one legged on something soft like a large folded towel. Any of these will be enhanced if done with the eyes closed. If you have one try standing on a mini trampoline in the same manner. Gradually incorporate the deadlift movement noted by the previous respondent.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 01:28:35 PM »
Justamoose, what makes you think you have weak ankles?

Offline justamoose

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 03:56:14 PM »
I roll them a lot, even off the ice. I trip over nothing. Sometimes I'm just walking down the street, and I just fall. I have be to conscious about where and how I put my feet. It's sad, really.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 05:36:49 PM »
I had surgery on a left ankle tendon to remove a cyst.  The tendon was cut during surgery because the cyst was deeper than the sleeve/outer casing of the tendon.  As you can imagine, I can be unstable.  The surgeon wanted me to wear high heels on occasion to help straighten my ankle and the ability to stabilize it.   My ability to balance in super high heels was my test of when I was allowed to go back on the ice.  Unfortunately, I developed a severe allergic reaction called Serum Sickness to the antibiotic that prevented me from returning for several months . . . .   

I don't know if ankle or knee joints are actually weak, but the surrounding muscles and joining tissues may have issues.  Isometric exercises, weights while bending, probably would increase stability.  How about Yoga?

Offline justamoose

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 05:42:40 PM »
Interesting, I never thought of wearing high heels as something that can strengthen ankles. I rarely wear mine because of the high possibility of me falling over, but maybe I need to start wearing them more often?

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 05:48:48 PM »
I usually never wear high heels. I have no where to go, other than the playground to run around with kids.  And, I have other foot issues that make wearing heels hard.   Go easy, because I will slip over in high heels.  Full pumps are the most stable.  Slingbacks and no backs are a recipe for disaster for me.  :-(

Offline justamoose

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 06:00:34 PM »
I suppose I could wear them around the office, although I sit at a desk a majority of the day. Getting up and walking around is always a good idea though!

Offline Doubletoe

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 05:46:17 PM »
I roll them a lot, even off the ice. I trip over nothing. Sometimes I'm just walking down the street, and I just fall. I have be to conscious about where and how I put my feet. It's sad, really.

That doesn't necessarily mean you have weak ankles.  It might be an alignment issue, something about the way you do or don't pick up your feet when you walk, or even pronated or supinated feet.  It could also be an attention issue, which you hopefully don't have when you are on the ice and paying more attention to what your body is doing.  No matter what the cause (unless it's just lack of attention), a Bosu balance trainer will help for sure.  My physical therapist introduced me to these and they are great.  Here's the cheapest one I was able to find online:  http://www.massagewarehouse.com/products/bosu-50-cm-sport-balance-trainer-blue/?sourcecode=MGOOPF&gclid=CjwKEAjw8oSoBRCss4qDrP3Y7yUSJACKumZ9iy3XHTvc2Pv_YKb0Br9hmlOaKJEIxN56X4QfHNo4DxoC3Xbw_wcB&kwid=productads-plaid^82444162345-sku^851+1020+02@ADL4MW-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^46015091796

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 07:30:26 PM »
I think getting assessed at least by a good PT would be useful to you.  You could have some structural issues (joint immobility, tight muscles, etc....) that won't allow you to position your foot well and therefore have decreased stability - especially if you find stabilization exercises not to help.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 10:49:14 PM »
My ankles are the worst! Does anyone have any good exercises off-ice to strengthen ankles? I've seen those stretchy things you have to buy, but seeing as I'm spending a ton of money already, I was wondering if anyone had any exercises that can be done anywhere, (like in my case, at work in my office :) hehe)
Also, knees.

Ballet really strengthens the ankles. I did a 'ballet exercise' class with bazillions of toe raises twice a week for 6 weeks, and at the end I could bench press Michigan with my feet. These toe raises are called releve' and they strengthen your feet, toes, ankles and calves.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Doubletoe

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 08:03:07 PM »
I think getting assessed at least by a good PT would be useful to you.  You could have some structural issues (joint immobility, tight muscles, etc....) that won't allow you to position your foot well and therefore have decreased stability - especially if you find stabilization exercises not to help.

Totally agree!  Most insurance companies offer coverage for physical therapy, and it's extremely helpful!

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 05:40:31 AM »
The surgeon wanted me to wear high heels on occasion to help straighten my ankle and the ability to stabilize it.   

My orthopaedic doctor also recommend high heels (on a very regular basis) after having tendinitis and as a result bursitis. If you tendons are too short, which is my case, putting yourself in heels actually relieves some of the strain on the tendons.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline justamoose

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 09:27:49 PM »
This is helpful! Thanks!