You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating Blog Ideas  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
    • Skating Experience Blog
Skating Blog Ideas
« on: April 03, 2017, 02:46:24 PM »
Hello!

With my skating season slowing down Ive run low on ideas for my blog. Its a blog about getting back into figure skating as an adult, so anything pertaining to that ould be awesome! Or even something unique to write about!

Thanks!
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
Re: Skating Blog Ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 03:23:54 PM »
Sam:  don't you plan to skate during the summer months?  Most of us  on the forum skate year round.  My home rink closes for annual maintenance for the months of May and June but reopens the first week of July.  During the closure I skate at other near by rinks, so skating life goes on.  I've been known to take my skates with me during our annual two weeks at the beach since there's a rink not too far away.  Then there's always the next test result to report, equipment upgrades, etc.  I'm sure you'll think of something.

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 05:04:05 PM »
Sam:  don't you plan to skate during the summer months?  Most of us  on the forum skate year round.  My home rink closes for annual maintenance for the months of May and June but reopens the first week of July.  During the closure I skate at other near by rinks, so skating life goes on.  I've been known to take my skates with me during our annual two weeks at the beach since there's a rink not too far away.  Then there's always the next test result to report, equipment upgrades, etc.  I'm sure you'll think of something.

Of course I do :) Though with how my local rinks work, time that I can actually practice will be fairly hard to come by without booking my own ice time. I'm compiling all the public/adult skates through the summer so I can make use of them. I'll be all over the countryside this summer to hit up the different rinks. But, like I said, a lot of them work weird in that they don't allow figure skating/practicing at public skates.

Equipment upgrade will certainly be one of my entries! I've got a pair of top-line skates on the way <3
Check out my blog as an adult getting back into figure skating! All input is appreciated ^_^

My Blog

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 07:24:17 PM »
Well you should keep on skating through the summer whether "figure skating" is allowed or not - it will give you time to work on basic edges and stroking and edges and stroking.

By "figure skating" I'm guessing they mean jumps and spins - but there is a lot more to skating - I would work on turns and edges.

Offline Sam_Bryant

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 05:46:54 AM »
Well you should keep on skating through the summer whether "figure skating" is allowed or not - it will give you time to work on basic edges and stroking and edges and stroking.

By "figure skating" I'm guessing they mean jumps and spins - but there is a lot more to skating - I would work on turns and edges.

Oh I will be for sure! Gotta develop those muscles as well :)

Well to gove an example of what Im facing with most local rinks near to me this is their exaaact quote:

"
For reasons of safety, the following are not permitted during General Public Skate sessions:

·         Speed skates
·         Games (crack the whip, tag, horseplay etc.)
·         Snowball throwing
·         Hockey sticks, Ringette sticks, pucks or balls
·         Electronic Devices  (MP3 players, IPODS etc.)
.         Cellular telephones (no texting/instant messages etc).
·         Skating aids, chairs, strollers or buggies
·         Skating backwards
·         Standing around, please keep moving at all times
·         Holding children in arms while skating
·         Jumps, spins or other figure skating routines
·         Sitting on the rink boards
·         Chipping or gouging the ice with skates
·         Persons not wearing skates or spikies"

My Blog