You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Is my understanding of ROH correct?  (Read 8527 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Is my understanding of ROH correct?
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 10:23:20 PM »
You could always get back to the sharpener, and have him look at the blades to see whether he did everything right.

Beyond that I have no more ideas.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 05:29:09 PM »
I definitely exceed the 100lbs, have the same sharpener, and do take a couple of steps on the rubber matting when I get off the ice to re-tie my skates but I did that more prior to the recent sharpening because I was breaking the boots in. I have felt the blades as you describe and don't notice anything obvious. I think I used to have one of those stones that you mention - need to search through my old stuff and see if I can find it.

My landings are still a bit "off" sometimes, but not exactly skidding so I do wonder if it's the different location of the toe pick and something I just need to get used to?

The toepick isn't exactly in a different location, but the ball of the blade right behind your toepick is rounder, so it takes longer for you to get from the toepick to the flat part of the blade on landings unless you consciously press your heel down.  The longer you stay on the ball of the blade on landing, the more likely you are to change edge, slip, or lose your balance.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2015, 01:19:49 PM »
The longer you stay on the ball of the blade on landing, the more likely you are to change edge, slip, or lose your balance.

Is that good advice on any blade?

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 08:10:44 PM »
Is that good advice on any blade?

Yes, because if you're on the ball of the blade, it's hard to balance and there's less blade actually in contact with the ice.

Offline severina

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 02:51:56 PM »
My ideal ROH is between 7/16 and 3/8.  I like it SUPER agressive and sharp.  I do all doubles and am working on trying to get my double axel back soon (i've been working on that on and off, but working for nationals now instead).  I will notice my blades starting to get dull if my takeoff for my double salchow and double toe get less grippy.  I don't like skidding in the slightest and will usually abort a jump if i even think i'm going to get close to skidding a takeoff.

I weigh 115 and our ice is usually pretty soft unless it's a freezing day, so I'm super spoiled.