You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Making a more successful skating club?  (Read 5286 times)

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
Making a more successful skating club?
« on: March 20, 2015, 06:08:44 PM »
What are things that have worked for your skating club to raise money, increase members, and have more fun?

I ask because I have overheard from skaters that they don't want to renew this upcoming year or didn't renew last year's membership because dues were going up and they weren't getting value for their money.  They decided to get individual memberships or to go to a neighboring club, and just pay the extra few bucks testing fee if they tested through our club?

When I was a kid, I skated in a club.  We only had about 40 members, but we had 2 hours of free ice time each week.  The free ice time is how my parents justified the cost.    It was Saturday morning, early.  We had an hour of patch and an hour of freestyle. There was a patch coach that went around to various skaters, and he was paid by the club.   Freestyle, we could have a lesson if we paid for it.  I was just a kid, and have no clue what the club did to raise money.  I don't know if we had a rich person, the rink's owner gave free ice time (his daughter was a high level skater).

Right now, it feels like my club is losing members and doesn't do enough fundraising.  We definitely don't seem to have the funds to buy an hour of ice time, even once a month.   I have ideas for raising money by going to 3 local fairs a year (like the Book Fair, Shrimp Festival) and having a booth where our girls could offer something for sale or some activity like "dunk a bratty figure skater."    We also have a hockey team that has asked for skaters to skate during intermission, but that's rarely done.   I'd love to have a skater skate, and a text option for donating to the skating club.   Or, offering to sell fancy cupcakes during a Saturday game.  I saw cupcakes in a plastic champagne flute with jelly beans up to the cupcake.  I think that would go over well.  I know a local bakery owner that could help provide the fancy cupcakes.

I feel that if the club offered more services for its members, we could get more members.  I see ice time as a big carrot.   That takes money, and we can't raise money by raising dues.   We have low level/intermediate skaters who aren't members of the club.  And, we usually don't have a Saturday freestyle or I've never seen a Sunday freestyle. 

What has worked and not worked for your club?

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
Re: Making a more successful skating club?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »
My club has 16 hours of ice per day.  It's great.  However, our membership dues are quite considerable.  I think the club also has quite a bit of equity in its rink and some very wealthy donors.  I suggest recruiting lots of wealthy members and then raising dues.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 11:20:20 PM »
What does club ice mean?  If you're a member you can skate on the session, without paying additional for the ice?
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 07:39:15 PM »
The club buys the ice, and it's members can skate on it.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 07:44:41 PM »
Or the Club owns the rink and the ice is paid for with the yearly membership fee.

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 90
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 10:39:43 PM »
Or, in my club, the ice fee is additional but only members can purchase it. 

However, the annual membership fee is much less than that of the club I belonged to as a kid where all the public skate times were included.  Freestyles were an extra flat fee for the season and patch was pay per session.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 11:32:33 PM »
Thanks for that clarification.  It seems like the Skating Club of NY still requires a purchase for the ice and it seems pretty expensive.   Their site isn't that user friendly but that's how it seems.

Sounds nice some clubs actually own the rink!

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 11:44:52 PM »
SCNY isn't a bad deal if you want to test considering it is $90/year for an adult, while an individual USFSA membership is $120.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 01:01:01 AM »
Yes, I plan on testing.  Just re-started working on Pre-Bronze.

I think I will join in July as that's when the year starts and then make July a goal for my first test.  The club membership includes USFSA membership too I think.  How is the club ice?

Offline celia

• Prerotation Society
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 05:40:14 AM »
Yes, USFSA membership included in the $90.  Reduced fees for testing too.

Club ice is good but fast moving.  The kids are pretty advanced and many have most of their doubles  and a few have double axels.  So it's a little exhausting staying out of the way and still making room for yourself.  But there are definitely adults there and at the pre-bronze level too. 

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 06:24:43 AM »
You have a lot of great ideas, Neverdull. Are you on your club's committee?

I only ask, because a lot of people think their club should be doing more, when the all-volunteer committee is stretched to their limits already...
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline JSHalo

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 11:58:16 AM »
Does your club have required volunteer hours from the members? My skating club has a required number of hours (I think it's only 2) you must volunteer, and if you don't, you have to pay a $100 fee with your next membership dues. It's pretty extreme, but it's motivating. In my riding club, you have to do 4 hours of volunteer work, or else you are not eligible for a year-end award (unless you pay $200 - and people have done it). It saves money on paying people to announce or do other jobs, and frees up the board members to do other important things during competitions/exhibitions.

Also, do you have sponsors? I'm too new to my skating club to know if we have sponsors, but my riding club does. There are different sponsorship levels... for paying X amount, you can get your banner put up, your business announced at every competition, your ad in the prize list, etc. We've had banks, florists, and other businesses owned by members sponsor the club. Businesses will pay to have their name seen, and it can be as inexpensive as a couple hundred for the year, $25 per event, or paying for the awards at one competition. I just dropped $1,500 to have my business's name plastered EVERYWHERE for the year, even on year-end awards. If I thought it would get me more business, I would totally sponsor my skating club, too (and therein lies the crux... businesses have to weigh whether or not they will gain anything from the advertisement. This is why we get so many banks, bakeries, and non-specific donators). But I would certainly consider paying for medals/ribbons at one competition.

Another idea is to see if local businesses will let you put up a flyer for an upcoming competition. I am always more than happy to hang flyers in my store, and would absolutely hang one that wasn't related to horses, as long as the event is kid friendly.

At the year-end banquet, we have a silent and live auction (we don't hire an auctioneer, one of our club members does it for free, and he's not very good at it). One of our riders is the daughter of the director of the university football programme, and he's had the coach sign a football for the past two years (I think it went for $250 last year, but they stopped the bidding and offered to have a second one signed, so they got double the going bid). Everyone pays $35 for a meal, and we sit there bored out of our minds while the kids get their year-end ribbons (which we make BIGGER and BETTER than the normal show ribbons) and prizes. They LOVE it, so it's well worth the effort of putting it all together. At the end, the girls get to dance, so they all have a good time. I'm not sure if skating clubs DO year-end banquets/awards...?

Did any of that give you an idea, or am I just babbling?
“At first everything is hard, next it becomes easier, then habitual, and only now does it have a chance to become beautiful.” - George H. Morris

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 01:36:53 PM »
Those are great ideas.  I am running for the Board, I decided it was the right thing to do.  Maybe I can help, or they kick me out.  LOL.

I don't think we have a sponsor, or at least one that donates gadzillons.     If we could do a small skating show during hockey intermission, then we could get a corporate sponsor.   Mention the sponsor's name to about 4,000 fans at a hockey game, and I hope they would give the club $500 or so each week.    I was thinking of contacting my dermatologist's office.  They seem to have lots of dough.  They could sponsor the event, and give away a free gift basket (say of suntan lotion, a hat, and a free cancer screening . . .or whatever) to a hockey fan who can correctly name a figure skating move the girl does (like a salchow).  If we could sell something during the hockey game (like those cupcakes in plastic champagne flutes or brownies), then we could bring in alot more money.   Ice time is $275ish an hour.  So, I'm hoping to bring in $1,000 a week to pay for a few hours of ice and rotating coach(es) to be there to help/safety.

Club membership is $155 for skaters and $25 for parents.  I heard that they wanted to raise it higher, as a way to generate more money.  We get a little discount for testing, no free ice or ice discount, but the club is asking for a $50 gift certificate to help the club raise more money via a raffle basket.   So, that really puts the club dues at $205/year.   An individual membership is cheaper . . . even if you test twice a year. 

Our rink is a mega-rink with 3 rinks and a stadium where concerts our held.  There is no way our little club could buy the rink.  But, there are alot of people that go through the rink and stadium that we are not tapping into.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 01:39:50 PM »

I only ask, because a lot of people think their club should be doing more, when the all-volunteer committee is stretched to their limits already...

This ^^^^^^^^ What are the reasons they don't feel like they are getting their money's worth? Do they know where their dues are going? $40 to USFS and where else is the rest of it going? That is the first hurdle to get over.  Do I get special privileges by belonging to the club? Ice time or can buy club only ice? Ice Show sponsored by the club? Basic skills through Senior competition sponsored by the club? Exhibitions? Skating parties? Annual banquet and everyone being recognized at it?

If skaters can skate on the rink ice without becoming members of the club, that is a huge obstacle to overcome (unless the skater is regularly testing and competing in USFS). The other thing is: are skaters at every level being welcomed and valued? My old club is pushing this competitive team thing and it's driving away the more recreational and test tract skaters.

If you want ideas on how to raise money, I have a bunch of things that the club has done and been successful at.  However, if the fundraising is not being used to benefit all or the majority of the club, it gets tiresome and people don't like extra requirements of fundraising without any perceived benefits to themselves. I know I don't like fundraising for the sake of fundraising.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 01:53:14 PM »
Ice time or can buy club only ice?  Nope

Ice Show sponsored by the club? Yes, but any "learn to skate" person is also allowed to skate in the club show.  The club members are able to carry a solo, so they get the solo spots (which is good).   The annual show raises some money, but not all.

Basic skills through Senior competition sponsored by the club? Yes, but there is another club 15 miles away that also sponsors competitions & testing.     The Basic Skills is done through our Learn to Skate, which doesn't require club membership, and that is almost all the skaters that do the basic skills/small competitions.  We  alsohave a big competition, with lots of skaters coming from all over our state.

Exhibitions?  Not really.  The hockey game isn't hardly utilized but about once a year and it seemed to be more than just club members.  This is one place we could really raise money, especially if we sold desserts (not offered by other food vendors) and had a corporate sponsor)

Skating parties? One for Halloween.  We got one hour of ice, dressed up in our costumes.  It was fun.   Non-members invited and paid.

Annual banquet and everyone being recognized at it?  Yes

If skaters can skate on the rink ice without becoming members of the club, that is a huge obstacle to overcome (unless the skater is regularly testing and competing in USFS).   Anyone can skate on freestyle ice, as long as they have toe picks.
We, literally, get 3 year olds in lessons who can barely stand up on "open freestyle", which is now every freestyle.  There is no minimum skating requirement enforced.   Gladly, they are in lessons and the coaches do a great job at keeping them protected.   I don't begrudge the kid a lesson or a coach the chance to make a buck.  Literally, you can be a non ISI or non-USFSA member and skate on all freestyle ices

The other thing is: are skaters at every level being welcomed and valued? Yeah, everyone is nice in the club.   

My old club is pushing this competitive team thing and it's driving away the more recreational and test tract skaters.    We had an Olympic coach move away are our best skaters are driving 200+ miles several times a week to skate at another rink.   My fear is that they just leave the club and officially represent the other club, which is a powerhouse of talent due to there being schools right next to the rink.

If you want ideas on how to raise money, I have a bunch of things that the club has done and been successful at.  Yes, please give.   

However, if the fundraising is not being used to benefit all or the majority of the club, it gets tiresome and people don't like extra requirements of fundraising without any perceived benefits to themselves. I know I don't like fundraising for the sake of fundraising.
[/quote]

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 03:26:09 PM »
I don't think we have a sponsor, or at least one that donates gadzillons.     If we could do a small skating show during hockey intermission, then we could get a corporate sponsor.   Mention the sponsor's name to about 4,000 fans at a hockey game, and I hope they would give the club $500 or so each week.    I was thinking of contacting my dermatologist's office.  They seem to have lots of dough.  They could sponsor the event, and give away a free gift basket (say of suntan lotion, a hat, and a free cancer screening . . .or whatever) to a hockey fan who can correctly name a figure skating move the girl does (like a salchow).  If we could sell something during the hockey game (like those cupcakes in plastic champagne flutes or brownies), then we could bring in alot more money.   Ice time is $275ish an hour.  So, I'm hoping to bring in $1,000 a week to pay for a few hours of ice and rotating coach(es) to be there to help/safety.

Be careful with this. First, any skating shows/exhibitions that US Figure Skating members skate in must be sanctioned by US Figure Skating. Otherwise, the skaters could lose their eligibility to compete. Because there must be a sanction, any sponsorship must be approved by US Figure Skating (if it's allowed at all). This means there are very, very specific rules about who may donate, how it is handled, who gets the money, and the sponsor must not conflict with any of the US Figure Skating corporate sponsors. If your club is a 501(c)(3), then donations can be made to the club, but I'd still make sure that any mention of the sponsors name in conjunction with the club does not violate any of the US Figure Skating rules.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 06:58:18 PM »
Thanks.   Yes, we are a 501(c)(3).  I'll have to run it all through USFSA  Don't want any questions or issues.    And, before I do that, I'd better take a super hard look at the rules on this to make sure I craft the situation to neatly fit the rules, much like a well-balanced program.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 08:29:03 PM »
My club makes what seems to me to be a fortune. Last year we had so much money we had to figure out ways to spend it in order to stay in line with some tax rules I don't understand.

We have a huge adult program.Adults are welcome and encouraged. Adults in gold and silver coming out our ears. Adult skaters are heavily into club management. Our former president was a gold skater, who is now a judge. Adults in LTS skate Basic 8 instead of the BS Basic 6. Many, many adults in ice dance including some adult men.

We have a comp every year that is so big they have to rent the local hockey rink because our seating and parking is too small to handle the crowd.

The crazy skating moms are not tolerated. No idea how that's kept down, but the coaches seem to have it well in hand.

Busy rink with lessons on public.

Skating director who actively pursues getting every hour of ice she can turned into freestyle.

So, it's like skating heaven. How we got there, no idea. The club across town has so much skating mom infighting that that I expect it to die.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 08:53:03 PM »
Neverdull, PM me.  I've been an officer on a club board and can give you some insights, but I'd prefer not to air any possible dirty laundry

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 11:18:03 AM »

The volunteers are the limiting factor. Too many people want the perks, but not do the work.

Also, a good fundraiser is the buyout option - for the above mentioned reason. If you are unwilling (or unable) to put in the sweat equity, you have to pay for your replacement. I know plenty of people would be thrilled to do that - the cost to them would be reduced, and the profit for the club increased.

But basically, you might want to ask the departing skaters (I suppose at that point it doesn't matter if they get their knickers twisted) a) what they would like to see in services - besides dropped rates and b) what thir contribution toward that goal was.
That, BTW was what the Girl Scout liason told me a couple of years ago, she asks the complaining parents (who often when right over the troop leadership in question). Many times it stops them, and makes them think.

But in the end, a club only flourishes with active members, not particular skaters, but the worker bees (who, incidentally need not be skaters, nor interested in ice time)
:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 02:39:43 PM »
My rink does a winter exhibition between Christmas and New Years, with low ticket prices and lots of family activities, and I think the club's used gear sale. However I think this exhibition and the ice show are sponsored by the rink (run through park district)

at the ice show last year they did a "chuck the puck" raffle, so everyone bought pucks during the first half of the show, then during intermission everyone got to throw them onto the ice. I think the one that got furthest won, and each puck had a corresponding raffle number. Can't remember what they won (maybe half the proceeds from buying the pucks?) but it was a fun activity and I imagine a unique fundraising activity

Most of the clubs around here require volunteer hours, or the option to pay to get out of them too

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 08:19:55 PM »
Just checking, is your club's competition  at your usual FS rink?  This helps in getting volunteers.