You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: TSA changes policy for skates in carry-on  (Read 59682 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
TSA changes policy for skates in carry-on
« on: May 14, 2012, 06:26:44 PM »
Apparently earlier this year, TSA changed its policy for carrying skates on board to 'allowed'

Gel shoe inserts are 'prohibited' .

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#8
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: TSA changes policy for skates in carry-on
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 06:47:25 PM »
Not that I fly often, but that's great news! :)

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 07:37:09 PM »
I've never flown with my skates and didn't know they were prohibited before, but that's good.

Clearly, though, the TSA has never cut their fingers on a freshly sharpened blade  :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 07:53:48 PM »

Clearly, though, the TSA has never cut their fingers on a freshly sharpened blade  :)

You'll need to wrap the blades securely. That's on the page somewhere. I read an article that said the TSA realized skates were too awkward to use as weapons.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 08:20:02 PM »
You'll need to wrap the blades securely. That's on the page somewhere.

On the page is this:  NOTE: Any sharp objects in checked baggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

I would guess that a pair of soakers would be considered adequate sheathing for skate blades.  If you want to be extra cautious, you could put some tape (such as masking tape or packing tape) around the soakers and blades to ensure the soakers cannot easily be dislodged.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 12:20:52 AM »
I've been carrying skates onboard for awhile now.  Unfortunately, not all TSA supervisors are up to date on what's allowed and what isn't. The important thing is to bring a print-out of the TSA website showing that ice skates are not on the list of prohibited sporting goods.  If I hadn't had my print-out to show the supervisor on my way to my Adult Sectionals competition in March, she would have made me check my skates.  After reading it, she muttered something like, "You learn something new every day. . ."

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 06:17:07 AM »
Please note that this is only applicable for internal flights in the USA. European countries (and also Australia) still specifically prohibit ice skates in carry-on baggage.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 06:44:39 AM »
Please note that this is only applicable for internal flights in the USA. European countries (and also Australia) still specifically prohibit ice skates in carry-on baggage.

I wonder who has jurisdiction on international flights? If you're leaving the US you have to pass TSA security, there's no other security on an international flight unless you connect elsewhere, but presumably the airlines have a say?
I've seen in some countries signs posting that some things are permitted on internal flights but prohibitied internationally (liquids), but I've never seen that for the sharps.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 08:48:10 AM »
I wonder who has jurisdiction on international flights? If you're leaving the US you have to pass TSA security, there's no other security on an international flight unless you connect elsewhere, but presumably the airlines have a say?

The security is performed by the country you are leaving.  I know skaters who have carried skates on in the US (they were never specifically prohibited before- it was up to the individual screener), and then been made to check them when they have a connecting flight in another country.  They have all said they prefer this, because they at least know the skates made it out of the US with them. 

Many airlines will say they allow things, but if you can't get it passed the screener, it doesn't matter that the airline allows it.  If an airline doesn't allow something that TSA does allow, they either have to do their own screening at the gate, or communicate this to TSA.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 09:16:59 AM »
Apparently earlier this year, TSA changed its policy for carrying skates on board to 'allowed'

Gel shoe inserts are 'prohibited' .

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#8

Good news about skates! But you can't wear gel shoe inserts on the plane?  ???

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 09:44:35 AM »
The security is performed by the country you are leaving.  I know skaters who have carried skates on in the US (they were never specifically prohibited before- it was up to the individual screener), and then been made to check them when they have a connecting flight in another country.  They have all said they prefer this, because they at least know the skates made it out of the US with them. 

Not sure why getting them out the US helps them. I want them to arrive at the same destination that I do. The only time my luggage has gone missing it was leaving the UK for Canada and my bag missed the flight (came on the next one). I fly regularly to and from the US and have yet to have my bags go missing. TSA have so far opened them twice, with the second time no note being attached to tell me they opened the bag.
All airports have the same risk of luggage missing planes (and some airports have the additional risk of bags "disappearing" into airport workers cars).

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 10:07:09 AM »
I'm glad that the TSA clarified the rule. 

AFAIK, I've never cut myself on a "freshly sharpened blade," but I have scratched myself with the toepick or heel.   I wouldn't think that soakers are enough to protect someone from getting poked or scratched.

I've done carry-on several times with no problem.  I put the guards on, use a twist-tie or cable tie to secure the front, then put the soakers over everything or inside the skates to save space.  If I don't really need the skates where I'm going, I just check them in my luggage.

Someone was discussing this just yesterday.  I guess she reads Agnes' blog or our board because I haven't seen this discussed anywhere else on the 'net!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 10:11:10 AM »
TSA have so far opened them twice, with the second time no note being attached to tell me they opened the bag.

I'm not sure they have to.. when I flew with a bicycle a couple of years ago they very clearly unpacked it because I had several items placed within water bottles (my gloves, electrolyte tablets, etc - nothing that wasn't allowed, just small stuff I didn't want to get lost) and those were all over the place inside the case when I picked it up in baggage claim.  There was no note that they'd inspected it.  Nothing was missing, and thankfully nothing was damaged by the careless way they repacked it.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 10:24:03 AM »
Not sure why getting them out the US helps them.

No idea.  But the two Team USA skaters I've talked to about this have both said they prefer to carry their skates on until they are forced to check them outside of the country.

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 11:04:36 AM »
Not sure why getting them out the US helps them. I want them to arrive at the same destination that I do. ...  All airports have the same risk of luggage missing planes (and some airports have the additional risk of bags "disappearing" into airport workers cars).

I would guess that their reasoning is that it is better to get the skates closer to the final destination before relinquishing control of them, so that if there is baggage handling mistake, it will be corrected more quickly.   Which sounds reasonable to me.  (Over the years, I've had bags get delayed several times, but each time the bags were delivered to me in about 18 hours of arriving home.  Never had a delay on the out-bound part of the trip.)

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 12:16:31 PM »
This is probably obvious, but:

You could remove the blades, so they aren't ice skates anymore. Then you check the blades.

There is a good chance you could buy new blades on site if they get lost, though you'd have to take your chances with the available sharpeners (the biggest skating events have "official sharpeners" who are very good, but who may nonetheless do things differently from your accustomed pro) - or you could have another pair, sharpened by your pro, shipped ahead of time by an independent route so at least one arrives. (Post offices in many countries, including the U.S., allow you to ship things to them that they will hold for pick-up.)

There are quite a few skaters who have extra pairs of blades (sometimes boots too) anyway, so they can ship one pair to a favored sharpener while skating on another, and to deal with equipment failures

Yes, it's expensive.

---

It seems so unfair that a tiny group of nut cases has made air travel such a hassle for everyone. In a way, all the extra hassle means they've won.

Maybe specialized airlines should let you watch airport workers put your luggage on and off the plane, and take it to and from you while you watch. That would cut the theft issue.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 01:03:21 PM »
This is probably obvious, but:

You could remove the blades, so they aren't ice skates anymore. Then you check the blades.

Remove the blades?  Really?  Why would you post that as a suggestion?  The rest of us know better than to take your advice, but the newbies could be tricked.

Just a word to the wise: don't take your blades off.  Unless you need them when you get off the plane for a show/competition/clinic, just check your skates.  Get to the airport early so there's less chance of their going astray.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 01:56:40 PM »
You are right: people who aren't willing to learn to do it properly shouldn't do it. Do it wrong, and you strip a mounting hole, or a screw top, or remount screws in the wrong holes (if old ones weren't filled).

But it's very possible.

I know at least two respected sharpening pros with a sizable mail order trade of skaters who remove and remount their own blades every 1 - 4 weeks or so. It's possible the techs showed them how.

Many techs remove bent blades from boots for sharpening.

I've also known a few skaters who remove their blades when they travel.

And a couple skaters who regularly moved one pair of blades between freestyle and dance boots, nearly every day they skate. I'm rather surprised that can work, and wonder how long their boots last.

When the defunct Ultima Matrix I removable runner system came out, a major advertised selling points was removability - though the soft mounting screws and nuts were proved quite problematic. Someone should come out with a removable runner system that is less problematic, to address this issue.

But yes - don't do it if you won't learn how to do it right.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 02:02:14 PM »
I know at least two respected sharpening pros with a sizable mail order trade of skaters who remove and remount their own blades every 1 - 4 weeks or so. It's possible the techs showed them how.

If skaters are getting their blades sharpened every week (or even every two...), the pro is doing something wrong...
Are they skating full days on artificial ice?

I have to agree with FigureSpins that removing blades for travel is an absurd suggestion, even if you do know so many people who do this.  And you know MULTIPLE skaters who remove blades from dance boots to freestyle boots and every time you skate?  Why in the world would anyone do that? 

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 03:27:45 PM »

AFAIK, I've never cut myself on a "freshly sharpened blade," but I have scratched myself with the toepick or heel.   I wouldn't think that soakers are enough to protect someone from getting poked or scratched.

I've done carry-on several times with no problem.  I put the guards on, use a twist-tie or cable tie to secure the front, then put the soakers over everything or inside the skates to save space.  If I don't really need the skates where I'm going, I just check them in my luggage.

Someone was discussing this just yesterday.  (She has never competed or traveled by plane with skates, has no real plans at this point, either.)  I guess she reads Agnes' blog or our board because I haven't seen this discussed anywhere else on the 'net!

I always just leave the cloth soakers on my blades and it has always been good enough for the TSA supervisor.  I'm extremely hesitant to put hard guards on my blades in case there is any moisture left in them.  Blades rust fast!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 03:49:12 PM »
Unless you've just skated that day, the guards should dry quickly enough if you bang them on the ground first and keep them outside your skate bag to get some air.  If you know you have to pack them away, put the guards under the air dryer at the rink or airport.

If you rub some vaseline or WD-40 over the blades before putting on the dry guards it will stop rust dead.  I've seen plenty of skate soakers with holes at the heels and toes, so I think my solution's safer in general.  IMO, people are more important than a few rust spots.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 04:04:10 PM »
Sharpening every week via mail order... I wonder how they find time to skate?

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 04:27:02 PM »
Good news about skates! But you can't wear gel shoe inserts on the plane?  ???

Yeah, that was so weird I couldn't resist posting it. Also someone might have them in their skates.

<SNIP>
Someone was discussing this just yesterday.  I guess she reads Agnes' blog or our board because I haven't seen this discussed anywhere else on the 'net!

If they read my blog give them big hug!  :hug006  I need all the fans I can bribe.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 04:29:15 PM »
Sharpening every week via mail order... I wonder how they find time to skate?

Well, since they are removing the blades- they must have a second pair of blades. 

I truly am interested in how you remove your blades THAT FREQUENTLY without stripping the holes.  I know it can be done, but it doesn't seem like it could be done very often before the hole is rendered unusable.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »
Would skatingsafe gel pads be banned by the same principle then?