You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Warmest and thinnest socks for a 5 year old skater  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Nekobirm

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
Warmest and thinnest socks for a 5 year old skater
« on: October 22, 2022, 07:19:08 PM »
I'm looking for advice. My 5 year old granddaughter is learning to figure skate. She tells me her feet keep getting cold. I've tried wool socks and synthetic blend socks. Is there such a product available that will keep her feet warmer? Thanks ~♡~

Offline AlbaNY

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 129
Re: Warmest and thinnest socks for a 5 year old skater
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 09:11:28 PM »
My daughter is 5 also.  She never complained of cold feet, because unlike me she runs hot.  She uses thin Amazon nylon socks, and thin socks are ideal for figure skating.  My suggestion is to try boot covers to insulate.  For me those help a lot in cold rinks, because I have raynauds and get chilblains on my fingers and toes already in fall let alone winter.  Heat packs can even be stuffed inside the covers.

Offline Nekobirm

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022, 11:32:35 AM »
Thanks! What material boot covers do you use?

Offline AlbaNY

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 129
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022, 07:35:46 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GRBLR39/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have these, but I don't know about the sizing for a five year old.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 02:11:16 PM »
Since I make my own insoles, out of camping foam pads, that are good insulation, my feet don't get cold. I personally think that the best solution, but it takes time to learn to shape insoles to fit your feet and boots.

But I used to use polypropylene socks, sold at camping stores. Insulated, but they can stink if not taken care of well, and you have to machine wash and dry at low temperatures, and maybe be gentle, sticking them in a mesh bag like I hear some people do with stockings. Silk is warm too. Try a camping store, like REI or Campmor, or a ski store. There are some polypropylene alternatives and blends that retain odor less, that I never tried.

I've seen some people used insulated neoprene boot covers, and other insulated boot covers. And some ladies use over-the-boot tights, which MIGHT provide some warmth, though I assume they take a little extra wear and tear. Of course, they might get in the way of close footwork, and be damaged or tangled in your blades.

I've noticed that battery powered heated socks, common in the Ski world, are getting lighter now. The batteries used to be very heavy, and didn't last long (I gave up on them for skiing), but I suppose it is possible that new lithium ion batteries might be lighter. But I've not tried them on the ice. But I'm not sure any are thin or light enough. You could check a ski shop, or an outdoor rec store like Dick's Sporting goods.

I also sometimes used foot warming packs - though they take a little space. The ones I tried didn't really last long enough for a full day's ski, but for an hour or two's skate, they might.