You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Taping Practices  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
Taping Practices
« on: October 15, 2014, 11:38:37 PM »
I know some of you video tape your practices on your cell phone.  Are you ever concerned that it's going to "grow legs and walk out of the rink"?  I wanted to video my practices, but my family is concerned that my iPhone will get stolen.

Any thoughts?  Concerns?  Suggestions?

Thanks!
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
Re: Taping Practices
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 11:59:02 PM »
Well in NYC it's not "allowed" but that said, I only do it when it's either not busy or a friend can tape it.

I had a new and really nice pair of skate guards stolen from the behind the hockey box so I'm a bit more careful now.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 02:09:13 AM »
Well in NYC it's not "allowed" but that said, I only do it when it's either not busy or a friend can tape it.

I had a new and really nice pair of skate guards stolen from the behind the hockey box so I'm a bit more careful now.

Not allowed??  Really?  I guess I never noticed.  I suppose I won't risk it. 

Can't get anyone to tape for me; family isn't really interested.  Once went to Lake Placid on vacation with my family, the hotel was across the street from the rink.  I skated three freestyle sessions; no one showed up.  They were too busy watching reruns of Matlock.
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 05:48:12 AM »
The only thing is, it's worth taping practices for YOU.  Most rinks don't have mirrors, so you can't see what you're doing...watching a video of yourself, as painful as it can sometimes be, is VERY enlightening and can make fixing issues so much easier. I haven't succeeded in taping myself yet (dance sessions too crowded so I can't set up camp in one spot, NO ONE tapes here so it'd  be yet another weird thing I do....don't really know how to do it on my kindle with only a fwd facing camera, but that last point seems like a minor detail), but do remember when I was a kid and some parent would lug in the video camera.....golly I hated that, but always learned so much from the experience.

If you can find a way to do it, illegal or no (until someone actually stops you) I'd try it and play dumb if I had to.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 07:47:45 AM »
I do worry about it, but I usually just set my phone on the boards for a few minutes at a time. Not sure what others do to tape theirs!

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 03:12:04 PM »
I see coaches at our rink using a student's phone to record a run-through or a skating element. That way the student has it at their fingertips after they get off the ice to see what's working and what's not.

I like that idea (clever coaches!), but it doesn't solve the potential theft issue.
Bill Schneider

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 03:35:06 PM »
My coach sometimes uses his iPad to record elements and I find it really helpful to actually see what I'm doing as oppose to what it feels like I'm doing.
I sometimes take a camera to the rink and record what I'm doing. I only use it when I know the other people on the rink.

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 09:16:50 PM »
I only use it when I know the other people on the rink.

Ditto.  I only record myself if it's a relatively quiet session with people I know.  I like to be able to take my phone and prop it up in a sneaker on top of the boards by the hockey box.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 10:48:49 PM »
Oh I wouldn't worry about how "allowed" it is.  All they will do is tell you.  That's not a big deal.  I try to do it where they don't see only because I don't want them to stop me.  When it's not busy they usually don't care.  Especially if the director isn't around.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle