You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Requesting Skate Advice - Adult Beginner Figure Skating  (Read 16022 times)

Offline fortheloveofskating

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Requesting Skate Advice - Adult Beginner Figure Skating
« on: February 10, 2012, 03:29:14 AM »
Hi everyone!

I am a young adult (early 20s) trying to find the "perfect" pair of skates for me and I am looking for your advice.

Background: I recently started taking figure skating lessons (it's a group lesson but sometimes there are as little as 4 people in my group, including myself). Prior to this I only skated recreationally and took some power skating lessons. The figure skating class has been working on crossovers, waltz jumps, spins, spirals, and will advance as we progress. I am taking this class because it's so much fun and I love watching figure skating. However I also want to do well and ensure I have the right equipment to excel (skates).

I am currently wearing CCM recreational figure skates which are .5 to 1 size too big for me. I am looking to buy better skates as I feel these might be holding me back from progressing and reaching my potential, as they often feel too big/uncomfortable.

I have visited 2 skate shops in the area where I attend university and both guided me towards Jacksons (apparently most people in this area wear them because Jackson is headquartered here). Both showed me the Jackson outfits: Mystique, Artiste, Classique, Freestyle, and Competitor.

The Dilemma: After visiting the skate shops I was somewhat set on getting the Competitors, as they seemed to be the "best" within the range I was shown, and good quality without going into "too expensive" territory. (Competitiors cost $350+ here, before taxes). Then I started doing research online, came across this forum, found lots of good information, and became extremely indecisive about which skates to get!

For example, both skate shops told me that the Mirage blade is better than the Mark IV blade, and that the Aspire is better than the Mirage. Then I look online and find that the Mirage blade is better than the Aspire blade, or that one or the other is harder to skate on/harder to get used to skating on. Or that Competitors get really stinky, or that they take 3 years to break-in because they are so firm, etc. etc.

I am leaning towards the Competitors and Freestyles as they seem better quality and have leather soles. I have learned through this forum that the difference between leather and PVC soles is that with the leather one you can remount the blades. My question is, does the leather/cork sole make any difference in skating performance or is its sole purpose for easier blade mounting? I am asking because the Jackson catalogue says "Leather outsole for strength and support", which makes me think. Also, would I possibly need to remount the stock blades? I'm not planning to get new blades.

So the big question is: will I be over-booting or over-blading if I get the Competitors or Freestyles? Which one do you think would be most suitable?
I should also add that I am looking for these skates to last me a very long time.

Also, what socks are you supposed to wear when figure skating? I had regular white socks on when I went to skate shop #2 and the lady there commented that they were too thick.

Btw, I am open to other skate combinations, whether outfits or boot + blade. Please feel free to suggest!

Sorry for the long post and thank you so much for your time! Any help would be much appreciated :)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
Re: Requesting Skate Advice - Adult Beginner Figure Skating
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 08:22:28 AM »
You're a full-grown adult at the beginning freestyle levels, not a beginner.  Just clarifying that for lurkers - I wouldn't make this recommendation for a real beginner, adult or child.  While you won't outgrow the skates anytime soon, using them will "break them down," which is a form of wear-and-tear.  Jumping puts a lot of stress on the boots, causing them to break down faster than if you were just doing turns and edges.    Weight gain will shorten skates' life and change their sizing slightly.  Plus, boots and blade have usage ranges from (this level skating) to (that level skating.) 

So, don't think you're buying one pair of skates for the rest of your life.  That's just naive - you'll either wear them out through use or you'll outskate them and have to upgrade.  It is an investment, but it's not a one-time investment.

I personally prefer the Jackson Freestyles to the Jackson Competitors.  I think the Freestyles are better skates for low-level freestyle skaters, not overly stiff, good quality and a nice heel height.  The Competitors are higher-cut on the ankle and restrict ankle/knee bend.  That's my opinion based on my own purchases of Freestyles and Competitors.

I don't believe the Competitor can be ordered boot-only any more.  When my pro shop ordered my Competitors, I had to order them with the stock blade already mounted.  The Competitor skate model was discontinued a few years ago and returned to the product line only last year, so I don't think they offer the bladeless option yet, unless they just now started to ship them that way.

You can order the Freestyle model as a "boot only." It is a whopping $25 less than the freestyle boot-and-blade set.  (Which indicates how high-quality the stock blade is on those skates.)

You'll need a blade, obviously.  I would suggest a John Wilson Coronation Ace, MK Professional, Ultima Legacy or Eclipse Mist blade - they're all clones of one another.  It's a good all-purpose profile that most beginning freestyle skaters use up through axel and double jumps.  It's very good for spins - my kids have used CorAces for years.  The retail price varies; the Ultima Legacy would probably be the least expensive in your area.

A good fitter will mount the blades on the boots for you; it's typically included in the selling price, along with an initial sharpening and adjustments.

Welcome to skatingforums and AOSS!

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 08:25:35 AM »
Re: the sock question ... most ladies wear pantyhose, tights or trouser socks, some go barefoot.  Most of the men I know wear thin dress socks without ribbing, not thick sweat socks.    YMMV

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 09:27:07 AM »
Beware of the "everyone wears" and the "skate shop sells lots of ..." issue. Jacksons fit some feet, and not others.  You may not have a foot that fits Jackson skates; you may have a foot that fits Riedells, or Risports, or even Wifas better than Jacksons. Spending  a bit of time before you buy your first "real pair" of skates is a worthwhile investment.  Once you find a make that fits your foot, you can then continue in their line of boots going forward.

If you don't mind disclosing where you are located, you may find that members can point you towards skate shops that do a good job fitting skaters ...  It would also help (very personal I know) - if we know your rough height and weight, as a 4'8 skater who wears 65 pounds is a very different skater from a 5'8" one who weighs 135 pounds.

Whatever you decide to wear on the ice ... and some do wear sweat socks - ! - wear that to have your skates fitted. It will make a difference.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 10:28:44 AM »
Dd wears knee hi tights for skating (for practice she wears skate pants).  Our skate shop sells them - I like them because unlike regular tights they don't get runs.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 11:28:10 AM »
I agree that regular pantyhose socks are not thick enough.  They get more than runs/ladders - they shred! lol

I've compared the skate shop knee highs to trouser socks from department stores - they're the same weight and durability.  I find the trouser socks to be more affordable, especially when they are on sale or I have a coupon. 

I wear trouser socks, as does one DD.  The other DD wears thin Gold Toe socks, also from a department store.

Just for the record, I thought the OP was a man when I answered before, but I may be wrong.  I didn't think a guy would want to wear ladies' knee highs, not that there's anything wrong with that, to quote Seinfeld.  Now that you mention that, the Mystique, Artiste, Classique are women's models, the men only have the Marquis model in the Jackson line and it doesn't come in a wide width. 

I would still say, if you're getting Jacksons, stick with the Freestyle for an adult.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 12:08:51 PM »
Beware of the "everyone wears" and the "skate shop sells lots of ..." issue. Jacksons fit some feet, and not others.  You may not have a foot that fits Jackson skates; you may have a foot that fits Riedells, or Risports, or even Wifas better than Jacksons. Spending  a bit of time before you buy your first "real pair" of skates is a worthwhile investment.  Once you find a make that fits your foot, you can then continue in their line of boots going forward.

I agree... try out as many as you can.  I'm assuming from your post that you are in Canada?  You should have access to a relatively wide range of boots to try.  It's worth making a road trip if necessary to make sure you're getting what fits well.

The difference between PVC and Leather soles in a skate that is otherwise the same really has to do with durability (PVC can't rot, so it's more forgiving of the mediocre care that many beginner skates are subjected to) but it's at the expense of the ability to choose or change your blades (or re-mount them if the factory mount isn't working for you).

I think that as an adult you'd be fine with Freestyles.  Whether or not to use the stock blade is up to you, but I would second the recommendation to move up to a Professional/Coronation Ace level blade or clone like the Ultima Legacy.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 03:40:50 PM »
Hey - if you're near where Jackson is headquartered, then, you must be in Waterloo. A couple of things ... the KWSC is phenomenal, so, there is a huge base of top level skaters and coaches.  Second, you're not far from Toronto. Go to Toronto, and visit the Figure Skating Boutique.  They carry every line of skates out there, and they will fit you with what is right for you; if it doesn't work, they'll make it right. 

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 11:17:05 PM »
Hi everyone,

Apologies for the delayed reply! And thank you all so much for your help and the warm welcome! :)

My info: female, age: early 20s, approx. 5'5 in height and 115 lbs in weight. I have been approx. the same size for nearly a decade and this probably won't change any time soon.

I am indeed located in Waterloo, Ontario, which is where I attend university, but home is in a town near Toronto, so I'll definitely try to visit the Figure Skating Boutique when I go home for reading week!

I checked out both the KWSC and the Figure Skating Boutique online and both look good, I found lost of useful information :)

I visited skate shop #2 again and the owner there suggested Jackson Classique or Elle, said he didn't want to oversell me.

But I am in love with the Jackson Freestyle + Coronation Ace combo, though it does bring the total to nearly $600 Canadian, which is significantly higher than what I was originally planning to spend. I might settle for Ultima Legacy or the stock blade, I'm going to have to give it careful consideration.

I noticed that there are online stores that sell skates, boots and blades for significantly less than stores around here, do these online stores mount or do people usually buy the parts and mount them locally?

Also wanted to let everyone know that Jackson has modified their boot-and-blade line-up slightly. The Competitor is now the "Competitor XP" and comes with the Aspire XP blade. They have also added a model called "Elle", in terms of price it's between the Classique and the Freestyle, has lower support level than both (35 moderate), has a leather sole and the Mark IV blade.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 10:11:31 AM »
Buying on line is risky, unless you know exactly what you want and exactly what you need. You're better off going somewhere where you can get properly fitted, and that will service you appropriately and fit them (heat mold, punch out), etc.  You're going to get charged for a boot mounting regardless of where you buy them, by the way; it's usually around $45 where you live for mount and sharpening.

If you're worried about the price, pick up the Ultima version of the Ace; it's a Legacy or something like that.  Cheaper, and for what you're doing, just fine.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 10:18:39 AM »
Also, a proper skate tech will check the boots and blades for warping, mis-sizing etc.  and exchange them if they're defective.

My skate tech never had to send anything stock I ordered  back, but I've heard stories from other people who had to wait while boots were exchanged with the manufacturer for quality control or what ever. Blades do arrive warped I'm told and have to be returned.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
As a beginner, you're going to be overwhelmed with information. Best of luck sorting through everything!

As another has said, don't buy online, at least not at this stage. You need to be properly fitted, and I can't stress this enough: FIT IS EVERYTHING. If your skates don't fit properly, YOU WILL BE MISERABLE. PERIOD. Better to spend more money at a local pro shop.

As someone else said, don't buy something just because it's popular; everyone's feet are different and what works for a lot of people might not work for you. For example, my husband is a beginner but he as custom Klingbeil skates because there is no stock boot to accommodate his ununsual foot (size 12 narrow with high arches). He's also 6'3" and 230 pounds so despite the fact that he's a relative newbie, he still needed a good fit and support to accommodate his size. This is not to say that you need to invest in custom boots when a stock boot will do. I am just making a point. That said, Skate Shop #2 is wise. He isn't going to sell you what you don't need and frankly,  you are not ready for the Competitor model. But make sure it fits. Try on different brands. Try a Riedell and a Jackson and see what works for you. At any rate, the guy at Shop #2 is honest. Stick with him because a lot of pro shops do not have your best interest at heart and will sell you anything to make a buck. It's OK to go with the Coronation Ace blade, though. And also as someone has said, you're not making a lifetime committment. As you improve, you will need to get skates to accommodate your level of skating. My guess is that if you skate regularly, you'll advance to the point where you'll need a new pair next year.

Also, do not equate stiff boots with better boots. Most skaters, even top level skaters, get boots that are way too stiff for them, which causes injury.  Of course, you want support, but at your stage, you simply need moderate support.

The leather-vs-plastic sole issue: a leather sole won't make you skate better, exactly. It seems like several companies--Jackson, Riedell, and Risport--are using plastic soles for their beginner level skates. Don't be deterred by this; go for the fit and the support that you need in the upper. This is what's really important. Besides, some companies don't really have a leather sole but a leather-covered plastic sole and heel.

The smell issue: yes, Jackson skates stink after a while. Literally. This is because they are reinforced with plastic and lined with a synthetic because it's cheaper than using all leather. They claim it's "technology" but it's really just a cost-saving measure. They say they're supposed to breathe, but it's not the case. I prefer skates with leather linings but for a beginner model, this is hard to come by, if not impossible. You may have to suffer with stinky skates until you're ready for a more advanced boot or ready to invest in customs. (I prefer Klingbeil; everything about them is leather.)

The sock issue: I wear tights. Always. Any tights. Not pantyhose, not socks, but tights. For me, tights also help keep my muscles warm, even under leggings or skating pants.

I hope this helps. happy skating!

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 10:50:55 PM »
They have also added a model called "Elle", in terms of price it's between the Classique and the Freestyle, has lower support level than both (35 moderate), has a leather sole and the Mark IV blade.

I am glad to see this... assuming that Jackson is still a good fit for my 6 year old by the time she outgrows her current (very used) Freestyles the Elle look like they would be perfect :)  We lucked out since the pair of freestyles she has are very used, so they weren't too stiff, but I know that new (or barely used) ones would be.

FWIW her skates don't stink... and they're easily 5-6 years old, and have been used by several kids before her.

Mine (Elite Plus) started to stink around the time they were 18 months old... and I only skate 2-3 times a week, however I think my feet sweat more than normal, it's not so much a breathability issue as they are simply subjected to a lot of sweat.  Personally I think I'd prefer stinky synthetic linings than to literally rotting out the leather linings like I did in one pair of SP Teri's (in less than a year of skating almost daily - the leather never had a chance to fully dry out).

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 04:56:16 AM »
Hi everyone,

So while I have been doing more research and learning more about skates, I have also come up with more questions!

1) Regarding the Coronation Ace blade suggestions - do you mean just "Coronation Ace"? Asking because while browsing I've also seen "Parabolic Coronation Ace" and "K-Pick Coronation Ace" and I'm not sure which one would be best for me.

2) I have also read about Sno-Sealing and waterproofing. Are they the same thing? Is it done to the whole boot or just the soles?
I get that it's very important to do it often, but I am confused about when to start doing it. Is it like a) new skates come sno-sealed when you buy them, but the "layer" wears off and you have to starting sno-sealing often once that happens? or b) you should always get your skates sno-sealed/waterproofed when you buy them? Or something else? Is it expensive to get skates sno-sealed/waterproofed?

3) Does a boot/sole weaken or deteriorate in any way if blades have been mounted to it several times? Reason I'm asking is because a skate shop is having a sale and I might be able to get the Freestyle boot-and-blade for 4/5 of the price of the Freestyle boot-only, which is attractive, but I'm worried about the boot, since ATM I'm planning to use Coronation Ace blades, and I also want these skates to be sturdy and last me a while. Would I have "better" boots/soles if they were mounted just once instead of twice? (I'm trying to decide between taking the Mirage blades off the Freestyle then mounting new blades, or just mounting onto Freestyle boot-only).

4) If I dry my skates as soon as I get off the ice and leave them to air out as soon as I get home, and put on the skate guards right before going skating, do I need soakers for the in between? I know a lot of people say to air skates out for 24 hrs, which I do, but what about beyond the 24 hrs?

Thanks again everyone for all your help! Hopefully in addition to helping me, this thread can also help others who might have the same questions, like reading old posts in this forum has helped me :)

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 06:27:37 AM »
Also... What are your thoughts on Coronation Ace vs. Matrix Legacy? Is the Matrix Legacy worth the extra cost?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 06:48:23 AM »
Let's see what I can do.

RE: blades. Plain Aces should be enough; there is some debate about the K-pick etc, but, there doesn't seem to be a consensus that they're worth the money, and you're just starting. 

Re the Matrix Legacy:  You could just go for the Legacy, without the Matrix.  Again,you're just beginning ... and the Matrix is expensive, if you're just working out what blades you are going to want to use, then, why not keep your money in your pocket and move up to a Matrix blade at a later date? You may even want to move up a blade level ... you're not at your "end" blade yet.  Matrix is $259, Legacy is $179 ... that's $80 in your pocket (Plus HST).  Of course, Aces are only $209 at the moment, so, if you want the Wilson blades - the price point is good too.

RE Sno Sealing: If done properly, it's pretty much a one-time deal, plus, see below, your skates probably won't be years in use.  The person who mounts your blades should complete this prior to mounting the blades.  It just goes on the soles, not on the boots itself.  It's not expensive; Riedell throw the stuff in with their boots, or you can buy it from any skate store for under $20.  PVC soles don't need it ... all leather should have it done ...

RE: multiple mounts. You're okay if you're changing blades a couple of times, and a good blade mounter can do this easily. If you start doing 3 or 4 changes ... you could have issues.

I am baffled why the boot and blade is cheaper than the boot only ... weird.  Never seen that from any store in Canada !   $249 for the boot only, $299 for the boot and blade at the FSB ...

RE: sturdy and lasting a while. You will be replacing your boots probably yearly as you progress up thru skating (you're just a beginner, and if you improve, based on the height and weight you quoted) - you will need something stiffer than a Freestyle within about 1-1/2 years.  So, work on buying the boots you need now with some room for progression, and start budgeting for stiffer boots in the future - and don't overboot yourself now to try to get a few more months out of your skates - you will end up wasting money in lessons and in frustration and in slowed down progression.

RE: Soakers.  The big thing with these is that they protect the blades in your bag.  Keeps them from banging together and getting nicked.  For the $12 or whatever they cost, they're worth the investment.  You need a chamois/rag to dry the blades and the soles thoroughly; then the soakers to protect them (they shouldn't be getting wet, otherwise, they're going to be useless); and then yes you take them out to air dry at home, never near a heat source of course!  It's also a good idea, if you're a "sweat-er" to get some sort of a moisture-absorber to put inside the boots.  We figured out once that my sweaty-footed kid had put 1-1/2 lbs in water into skates through sweat soak; the moisture absorbers pulled that out and made the skates lighter and made them last longer.

Now, back to earlier posts ... have you tried on the Freestyles?  They are a nice skate, but, certainly not for everyone. 

It's great that you're asking questions, but, I cannot emphasize enough that you need to go into a quality comprehensive figure skating store and work with people there.  You're asking good questions, however, in terms of what is "right" for you, you can't get that from a forum.  If you want to start off right, you need the right equipment, and saving a few $$$ by ordering online or by going to someone who can get you a "deal" but who can't fit you properly will only cost you in the long run - maybe in injuries, maybe in wasted time, maybe in frustration. You're really close to one of the best skating stores around - with a phenomenal reputation - which is something that a lot of people on this board would really like to have.  FSB has everything from Jackson to Harlicks, access to all of the models, they have every blade you can imagine, and they know what they're doing ... and, if you're trying to economize, they also have used boots and blades that could save you serious $$$$. Plus, they have all of the ancillary items that a skater could ever need :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 03:48:30 PM »

But I am in love with the Jackson Freestyle + Coronation Ace combo, though it does bring the total to nearly $600 Canadian, which is significantly higher than what I was originally planning to spend. I might settle for Ultima Legacy or the stock blade, I'm going to have to give it careful consideration.

The Legacy wouldn't be settling - it is a fantastic blade.  If you can afford the bump up, I really like the Matrix Legacy, especially good if you aren't near a sharpener, I find they need to be sharpened less than half as often as my previous pairs (used to do every 8 weeks, now every 16-24).  Plus, you can get pretty colors.  I'm motivated by pretty colors.  But I have to drive far for my sharpening, so that helps too.

Oh- I prefer to skate barefoot.  Never forget my socks that way :)
My Jackson's do stink- bad- but honestly, not any worse than the tennis shoes I used to wear barefoot.  Except those I could throw in the laundry.  I wash the insoles occasionally, and stick dryer sheets into them.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
1) Regarding the Coronation Ace blade suggestions - do you mean just "Coronation Ace"? Asking because while browsing I've also seen "Parabolic Coronation Ace" and "K-Pick Coronation Ace" and I'm not sure which one would be best for me.

It costs more to sharpen parbolic (at least in my area) and I have an adult skaters get the kpick and then sell that blade - it was too much for a beginner.

2) I have also read about Sno-Sealing and waterproofing. Are they the same thing? Is it done to the whole boot or just the soles?
I had skates "varnished" and skates sno-sealed.  I prefer the varnish.  After a couple months the sno sealed boots got moldy on the bottoms around the blade.  The varnished skates look new on the bottoms and the cracks are sno sealed (she only got cracks doing doubles - it's stress).  My skate guy does a little touch up every 3-4 weeks when they are sharpened.  The uppers are not messed with at all.

3) Does a boot/sole weaken or deteriorate in any way if blades have been mounted to it several times? They can plug holes and remount.  I don't think I'd get it done just because, but if they need to be remounted, it won't hurt them!

4)  When skates are not worn, they have soakers put on.  When dd puts skates on she puts hard guards on first.  When she gets to the ice she takes them off and puts them on the boards with her wall bag.  She never walks in skates without guards.  When she is done the hard guards are off, the skates are dried, and the soakers go on and they get put in her bag.  When she gets home she opens her bag and airs her skates(in their soakers).

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 11:41:23 PM »
the men only have the Marquis model in the Jackson line and it doesn't come in a wide width.

Technically the men's "medium" is the same width as the women's "C" for any given foot length.. which does make them wide by default, but you can't get anything wider (or narrower) until you get into higher level boots.

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 06:22:34 AM »
Hi everyone!

Here's an update on my quest ;)

I finally made it to the FSB. I ended up getting Jackson Freestyle boots + Matrix Legacy blades. Had THE hardest time deciding between Coronation Ace and Matrix Legacy. Ended up going with Matrix Legacy due to the whole lightweight / harder/stainless steel / less frequent sharpenings thing. Don't know if what they advertise is actually true, but I was sold. I got the blades in silver, which they were out of and had to order in.

Additional details for those who might be interested/archive purposes:
- I measured less than a size 6, but got size 6.5A. My left foot fits pretty well, but my right foot is really tight, especially around the toes, even after heat molding. My right couldn't even get into a 6. Weird, huh?
Anyway, the associates I talked to said that the leather will stretch, and that they will do some additional punching out around the toe area in the right boot.

About FSB:
PROS: friendly and professional manners/service, quite knowledgeable, a lot of options and a lot of stock

Other remarks about this particular experience:
- I felt a little rushed. The store wasn't busy at all, maybe they had a lot to do in the back. I wasn't being a difficult customer, at least I don't think, I have worked retail
- I was greeted by associate #1 and started talking to him about my skating, he seemed quite knowledgeable. He went to the back to do something and when I asked for help the manager sent associate #2. I asked for #1 since I already told him my skating life story and it seemed like he knew his stuff, but manager insisted that #2 help me. I don't mean to be mean, but #2 was somewhat clueless, he even said so himself when I asked him about the differences between certain blades
- didn't measure the width of my feet and put me in width A. Skate shop #2 from a previous post measured and said I was width B. I should have asked... :-\
- I was supposed to try different brands to see which fit me best, but I ended up only trying Jackson Freestyles and Premieres. As a result, I don't know whether Jacksons fit me "best", I just know that they fit me well enough. Again, partially my fault as I totally forgot until I got home more than 2 hrs later! Was too busy evaluating/deciding between the Jackson boots
- they didn't have the Freestyles boot-only, so they took off the Mirage blades. This is something I was trying to avoid, because I'm one of those what-if people, as in, what if I need to re-mount or mount other blades? I don't want that many holes in my soles. Hopefully I'll outskate this pair or break down the boots before I wear out the blades...
- #1 first suggested Classiques. After I mentioned that I wanted to get separate/better blades he kept pushing the Premieres. I know that a lot of people do do Premieres + Matrix Legacy, but they were wayyy too stiff for me. Plus, from Classiques to to Premieres? ???

I know it sounds like a lot of negative points, but I actually do like this skate shop and will come back! I just need to be more assertive about what I want next time :)

Thanks for all your help, everyone! I can't wait to pick up my skates and new guards/soakers/boot covers/maybe a skate bag later today. Can't wait 'til I skate on them later this week! :D

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 10:23:36 AM »
Ended up going with Matrix Legacy due to the whole lightweight / harder/stainless steel / less frequent sharpenings thing. Don't know if what they advertise is actually true, but I was sold. I got the blades in silver, which they were out of and had to order in.

I'd say it is true.  My Matrix Legacy (in a quarter inch longer size) weighed slightly less than my low-level Paramounts (which are advertised as lighweight) and those had weighed signifigantly less than my Gold Seals.  Now, I can't tell if you if light weight blades MATTER or not...

As for hardness- absolutely.  I used to sharpen every 8 weeks, now I sharpen every 16-20.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 06:47:22 PM »
Here's an update on my quest ;)
I finally made it to the FSB. I ended up getting Jackson Freestyle boots + Matrix Legacy blades.

Glad you made it there and thanks for the detailed report.  I hope you enjoy your new skates!

- I was greeted by associate #1 and started talking to him about my skating, he seemed quite knowledgeable. He went to the back to do something and when I asked for help the manager sent associate #2. I asked for #1 since I already told him my skating life story and it seemed like he knew his stuff, but manager insisted that #2 help me. I don't mean to be mean, but #2 was somewhat clueless, he even said so himself when I asked him about the differences between certain blades.
- didn't measure the width of my feet and put me in width A. Skate shop #2 from a previous post measured and said I was width B. I should have asked... :-\

While different skate pros can measure differently, it sounds a little unusual that your width wasn't measured at all?

I measured less than a size 6, but got size 6.5A.
My left foot fits pretty well, but my right foot is really tight, especially around the toes, even after heat molding.  Anyway, the associates I talked to said that the leather will stretch, and that they will do some additional punching out around the toe area in the right boot.

Padding in the boots will compress with wear, especially around the ankles and heels; and punching might help around the toes and ball of the foot.  Are you able to change the boots if it turns out you were sold the wrong size by Associate # 2?

- #1 first suggested Classiques. After I mentioned that I wanted to get separate/better blades he kept pushing the Premieres. I know that a lot of people do do Premieres + Matrix Legacy, but they were wayyy too stiff for me. Plus, from Classiques to to Premieres???

Classiques are rated 45 for stiffness (same as Freestyles); Premieres are rated 65.  You're right, that is a bit of a jump!  Changing blades is much easier on a leather sole (many skate pros won't change blades on a PVC sole) so the equivalent to the Classique would be the Freestyle.

- they didn't have the Freestyles boot-only, so they took off the Mirage blades. This is something I was trying to avoid, because I'm one of those what-if people, as in, what if I need to re-mount or mount other blades? I don't want that many holes in my soles. Hopefully I'll outskate this pair or break down the boots before I wear out the blades...

A good pro should be able to handle this fine.  If needed, they can refill any holes and make them sound before mounting new blades.

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 08:20:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give everyone another update. I picked up my skates from the Figure Skating Boutique about a week ago and finally got to skate in them a few days ago, have skated in them twice now. A skate shop (mostly hockey) here had a huge sale to clear out 2011 inventory, so I got myself hard guards, soakers, a chamois and Mondor tights at a great discount :D

1st time skating in the new skates, at public skating: bad. Not only were they stiff (which I expected), they were very tight , my inside ankle bones and the area directly below/near my arches were in a lot of pain, I think I spent as much time skating as I did sitting down. I skated like a little kid learning to skate lol

2nd time, at adult skating: better. 1st half of the session I was almost as bad as the 1st time, someone asked if I was learning to skate :-[ The 2nd half of the session was much better, still pretty far from my usual level, but getting there, I'll just have to work on breaking the skates in more.

I'm going to visit a local pro shop soon to get the ankle bone parts punched out more and see if anything can be done about the pain near my arches

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 11:09:06 PM »
Update:

I have skated 4-5 hrs (with breaks due to pain) in the new skates, one of those hours was my weekly figure skating lesson.

I know that new skates take time to break in and get used to, but I kind of doubt they are supposed to be this painful. I did horribly in this week's lesson, although I am generally slow to learn new moves, it feels like even my crossovers have been getting worse. I also fell more than usual as well. Ouch.

So I went to a local skate shop the other day (not the one I bought my skates from) and got the ankle bones punched out more, which has made that area more comfortable. I told them about the pain I've been having in the inner half of my feet when I skate, and after examining how my skates fit and measuring the width of my feet (measured by 2 different people), they determined that my skates are too narrow. Apparently I should be a B, possibly even a C, but I'm currently wearing an A. No wonder they felt so tight!
They said that it is likely that my feet are cramped in my skates. Btw, my arches don't touch the bottom of my skates, and I am actually a little flatfooted. This discomfort has been demotivating me to skate :(

What do you do when you're mis-fitted for skates and this is the result? Do you tell the shop about the problem and do they usually fix it? I was a little intimidated by their attitude the 2 times I was there. But, as previously mentioned, the widths of my feet were not measured when I ordered these skates.

--

The other thing is, I think the Matrix Legacy blade might be too advanced for me (long time rec skater, a little power skating exp., started taking figure skating lessons recently). The blade is quite fast, I feel like the toe picks sometimes drag a little (even though I don't skate with my weight particularly "forward"), and I have also tripped and fell due to the toe picks a few times.

Since they are still within the 30 day guarantee, I should be able to get another set of blades if I choose to. The question is, is the Coronation Ace a less advanced blade than the Matrix Legacy due to the rocker? It seems like CorAce level blades tend to have 7' rockers and more advanced blades tend to have 8' rockers (PCMIIW [Please Correct Me If I'm Wrong]). I am debating whether I should get CorAces to use until I outskate them and have to get more advanced blades and get used to them then, or just stick it out with the Matrix Legacy and learn on it.

Notes:
- I originally decided to get the Matrix Legacy due to the lightweight / harder/stainless steel/fast/won't rust / less frequent sharpenings / will last longer reasons
- I heard that CorAce is better for spins and Matrix Legacy is better for jumps. I'm assuming that jumps are more advanced and I'll be working more on spinning for a while (again, PCMIIW). My class has been focusing on MITF sort of stuff lately.

As always, your thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated, thank you in advance :)

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 04:05:56 AM »
Ouch, ouch!! I feel your pain! My first boots (many years back) were also fitted way too narrow -- it HURTS!!!

Boots -- yeah, I was suspecting they were too narrow. So glad you got that confirmed. Original fitter should order the correct size for you & make the exchange, as it was his error in not measuring width. I would speak to him first, maybe ask him to measure your width so he can see for himself that he goofed. If he gets really nasty about it you could sell the boots yourself, but you really should not have to do that.

Blades -- I think you'll find the blades feel a whole lot different when mounted on boots that fit correctly. As long as these blades are the correct length for the replacement boots, I suggest you give them more of a chance. Toe pick problems will likely resolve themselves as the boots break in resulting in ankle-bend/knee-bend improvements.

Good luck! Thinking good thoughts for a smooth exchange process.