You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Breaking in new skates  (Read 16387 times)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Breaking in new skates
« on: June 27, 2011, 04:26:03 PM »
I used the search feature and it doesn't look like we have really had a thread on this yet at the new board...so here goes.

What do you do to break in new skates?

I got my beautiful new skates yesterday, and am terrified to skate in them.  I haven't had much luck in skates, and already I'm worried these are too narrow for the toes (will have to go back to get them punched out if that turns out to be true.)
They've been heat molded.  I plan to only lace to 3rd hook for awhile.
I was thinking about just sticking them on my feet while I do my homework tonight, just to get them "sweat shaped" (ew) by having them on a bit.

Any other tips or tricks?  They feel stiff as bricks, but about the same as my last pair of new skates. However, my last pair of new skates was a disaster and I bought a used pair from someone else who did the break in for me :)

Offline emilayy

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
Re: Breaking in new skates
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 04:42:19 PM »
it sounds like you're doing everything you're supposed to. for the first few skates, they'll be really stiff and awkward. if you try to ignore that and skate as usual, you should probably break them in soon. lots of deep knee bends definitely help.

Offline skatingpasty

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 04:48:48 PM »
I wore mine around the house for a while and bent my ankles in them, e.g. doing dips, shoot the ducks, to try and crease the leather slightly.

Some people say that you should and shouldn't walk around in your skates, but it certainly worked for me.
What new skates did you get?

I recently broke in a pair of risport RF4's and they were soooo painful, I had red raw blisters from skating in them a couple of times, so I put little kitchen scrubbing sponges (cut off the scrubbing bit) in my boots to ease the pressure, it worked :)

Also if the boots are narrow at the toes, wear thin socks, like nylon ones (not cotton or thick socks, trust me) plus this helps the boots shape to your feet better.

Apparently it takes approximately 10 skating sessions to break the new skates in and to adjust to them, I presume you'll be adjusting to a new blade too :/

It's a good idea to just lace up to the third hook for the first few times skating in them, it allows more of an ankle bend, but you will eventually have to tie the fourth hook (my coach said the sooner the better) when you do eventually tie it, don't tie it as tight as the other hooks, leave it loose but not completely loose, means you'll be able to bend easier

Don't be scared to skate in them, yes it feels weird but for the first few times just do stroking and edges - try crossovers, glides, 3 turns etc.
Then try your jumps and spins.

I love my new skates, DON'T be tempted to go back to your old ones if the first few times skating doesn't go well, trust me after they're broken in they'll be your new best friend :)

Have fun. And remember to have bandaids handy for the blisters..ouch :(
Working on...
Ⓢⓟⓘⓝⓢ: flying camel, back camel, back sit, layback, change camel/sit, combination spins
Ⓙⓤⓜⓟⓢ: axel preparation
ⓕⓘⓔⓛⓓ ⓜⓞⓥⓔⓢ: Level 1,2 and 3

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 04:52:38 PM »
Ooh- I couldn't skate in socks at all!  I am a barefoot skater.

I got Jackson Premier with Ultima Matrix Legacy blades.  The blades look nearly identical profile/toe pick size to my current blade (mid level Paramounts) but a fresh rocker is always a challenge.  They also have a cross-cut toe pick, so the picking is a little different, but I've had one before.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 05:07:07 PM »
I didn't have any major problems with my Jacksons except for that latex reaction I had, but that wasn't really a break-in problem... they were in fact the easiest boots to break in out of any I've ever had, and mine are considerably stiffer than yours are!

Don't be afraid to get out there and try them, I bet within a week or two you'll wonder what you ever worried about! :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 05:18:48 PM »
I can't stand to skate with hooks unhooked. It just feels too loose. So when I have new boots (its been a long time) I don't lace up to the top two hooks, but instead use ponytail holders over the unlaced hooks. I never got above the 3rd hook on my boots, I've been using ponytail holders for years on the top hooks. Just enough tension to hold the boot flat, but stretches when you skate.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 05:48:13 PM »
I'm used to unhooked laces- my last pair my lace broke and I couldn't get replacements for some time so on my left boot I didn't lace to the top...

I'm sitting in my skates right now and even though I have plenty of room to wiggle around my toes, my foot is going numb.  Since I haven't even skated yet, that is quite worrisome!

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 06:26:43 PM »
I do lots and lots of stroking...forward, backward, crossovers, moves in the field that require changing feet and bending (5 step mohawk, 8 step mohawk, etc.). I usually end up doing that for about 45 minutes and then I get bored, so I start doing waltz jumps. Harlick recommends about 2 weeks of basically doing nothing, but that doesn't work for me :) My skates are usually like bricks when I first get them (I skate in Finalists, which are the strongest stock boots), but on my last pair I got a flex notch which helped immensely! When you are paying $600+ for boots, what's another $30  :angel:

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 06:33:09 PM »
My good ol' Jackson Classiques are fine in the ankle area. The problem is my right foot is slopping around in the boot on deep edges needed for dance. I'm already wearing silipos tube. If I tie them tight my foot goes numb. I dread getting new boots.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 06:53:13 PM »
I do lots and lots of stroking...forward, backward, crossovers, moves in the field that require changing feet and bending (5 step mohawk, 8 step mohawk, etc.). I usually end up doing that for about 45 minutes and then I get bored, so I start doing waltz jumps. Harlick recommends about 2 weeks of basically doing nothing, but that doesn't work for me :) My skates are usually like bricks when I first get them (I skate in Finalists, which are the strongest stock boots), but on my last pair I got a flex notch which helped immensely! When you are paying $600+ for boots, what's another $30  :angel:

This is what I do. TONS of crossovers, cross strokes, MIF, etc. I usually throw some dance in there. My last pair took about three days (2hrs per day) to feel comfortable and not "new) but I was able to do almost everything in them by the end of day one. It probably took a week to feel broken in. FWIW, I'm skating in Riedell 2010LS that are two years old. SUPER easy break-in. I also kept my blades and swapped insoles from my last skate and that helped me adjust - no arch cramps like I used to get. Planning on replacing them in the next 6mos but hoping to get through Junior MIF first...

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 06:56:20 PM »
So is it normal for my feet to be going numb?  They are not laced tightly.

Offline Meje

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
    • Adult Figure Skating Australia & New Zealand
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 10:08:22 PM »
Warming them up before you skate in them will help mould them to your feet as you skate. I used home made heat packs by just getting a pair of socks and filling with rice, then heating them in the microwave and putting in my skates an hour before I skated.

Because they were pre-warmed (as opposed to skating around for an hour to get the leather warmed), it meant the break in period was much more efficient.

Offline CrossStroke

• Administrator
  • Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 11:08:24 PM »
So is it normal for my feet to be going numb?  They are not laced tightly.

No, it is not ...
My last pair of boots was too small, and only after I got new, well-fitting boots (that initially felt like boats compared to my old ones!), did I realize just how small they were.  With well-fitting boots, you feet should not hurt, get numb, get "stiff", etc.

BTW, do you have high instep?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 11:35:48 PM »
The archive has the following topics, you could find them fairly quickly by locating the approximate date range first then searching for the thread title:

07-29-2010 breaking in new boots, your story
06-21-2006 Breaking into new skates!! again...  
04-04-2006 Breaking in skates
02-15-2006 Breaking in New Boots - how bad is it really?
05-20-2004 Breaking in New Skates--Tips Wanted
10-03-2003 breaking in boots
04-20-2003 Breaking in new skates
08-18-2002 Breaking In Boots

Good luck!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 07:45:22 AM »
No, it is not ...
My last pair of boots was too small, and only after I got new, well-fitting boots (that initially felt like boats compared to my old ones!), did I realize just how small they were.  With well-fitting boots, you feet should not hurt, get numb, get "stiff", etc.

BTW, do you have high instep?

Yes, I do have a high instep.

This post is really discouraging. I guess I can't expect for it to get better?

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 09:03:03 AM »
How tight are you tying them? I've had problems with my feet going numb in new skates and it's because I've tightened the bottom half too much, because I've been used to it being tight in my old boots. Ultimately boots don't need to be tight by your toes, you only really need it tight around the heel to prevent it moving there. Once I worked out how to tie the boots so the feet don't go numb the break in process became so much easier.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 09:05:23 AM »
Not tight at all.  I actually am very concerned they are going to have to be tied too loosely to skate comfortably in...because while my heel is held in place by the boot padding, the skates don't feel snug when they are laced so loosely

Offline CrossStroke

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 09:40:45 AM »
Yes, I do have a high instep.

This post is really discouraging. I guess I can't expect for it to get better?

Sorry to be a downer.  Boot fit is important for your foot health though, and after first hand experience with incorrect fit vs correct, personally I will never again compromise.

My too-small Jacksons actually did not feel that terribly small when I was getting them heat-molded.  No numbness during the time that I had them on in the store, so if your feet are going numb with you just sitting with them on, that worries me.  On the ice, I realized fairly quickly that they were too narrow, and subsequently had my boots mercilessly punched-out at the toebox/sides each time I took them in for the sharpening, and that has greatly improved the situation, so maybe you can make it work.

I asked about your instep, since mine is also very high, and my Jacksons were a bit too shallow to accommodate it, causing a pressure spot and slight loss of sensation in that area.  While toebox can be stretched/punched out to a certain degree, the shallowness cannot be remedied - just another thing for you to consider when deciding if you can make these boots work.  I've also read in your journal that your heel is already feeling loose, something I had going on in my split-width Jacksons, too (have a very narrow achilles, and had extra padding glued in over the years).

Go with your gut.  I know there are not many fitters in your area so that makes the situation difficult, but consider if the fit issues you are having can be fixed or not.  My Jacksons were not only too short and narrow with slipping heel, but the toebox also did not fit the foot shape well, and that could not be resolved (big toe was being pushed in, over time causing pain in the joint at the base of it).

BTW even with well-fitting boots, I do not tighten laces at the toebox/ball of the foot at all, just take up the slack.  Does not impact my stability.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 09:58:25 AM »
My previous skates were Jacksons as well (I actually did see a multi-brand fitter at a competition, although he didn't have any boots to try on.  He said I'd work in SP Teri's but it would be silly to spend the money and I should stay in Jacksons...)

I was fitted at a pro-shop (where I got to try stuff on! In Ohio...) with the Competitor in 3B, and it was a disaster. I barely had feeling at all from the second I stepped on the ice.  By complete luck a skater at the rink was selling 3D's.  They worked much better, but I still had some issues, and as they have gotten older, I have started having tendonitis and shin splint issues too...  I'm blaming that on my skates, but I'm not sure if it is or not.  With the D's they still weren't comfortable, but the numbing was going away.

I was refitted and the new skates are size 4 - so a full size up.  Although I could wiggle my feet around in the 3s, I think while skating I was bending my toes up without knowing it (based on a callus on my big toes).  Hopefully having the 4s will let the calluses go away, as I have more length and will hopefully not need to bend my toes.

However, the fitter got me a 4C.  She said the C width in the 4 is the same as the D width in the 3.  I know the base model gets wider as they go up, so I'm not sure if this is exactly true, but it might be.  My heel is not slipping really, because the padding in the ankles on these boots (Premier) is so much greater than the competitor, so it kind of holds it in place, but it feels loose, like if my ankle wasn't being held, the heel would pick up.  I don't think a D width would work for that, but although I CAN fit my little toe onto the insole when I take it out, if I let my feet relax, it doesn't fit on it....

I have stupid feet.

Unfortunately the blades are mounted (I'm really mad about that...I didn't get to try them on before she mounted them) so I don't think there is anything I can do but get them punched like crazy... 

I have had a few people say numbness is normal...so maybe wait and see. 

I'm just ready to cry thinking I spent a TON of money on another pair of boots that won't work.

Offline CrossStroke

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 10:50:55 AM »
You do have way less fit issues than I had - I just took out the insoles from my old boots, and I cannot even fit the ball of my foot on it (and those were split width D/C!).  Yours is not as severe :)

My current custom boots have uber mega achilles padding, and it does hold the heel in place.  If I point the foot really hard (high instep, so I *can* point well), heel does move up, and yours sounds about the same.  You might need to get the padding redone/added a couple years later once it gets too compressed, but since there is enough ankle padding now, sounds ok.

I am not sold on "numbness is normal".  Experienced it in the past, but did not have any whatsoever in the current boots, even the very first day when I skated in them 1.5 hours including a 1 hour stroking-type class, but if toebox width issue is just about the main fit problem, then yes, you will probably be ok after punching out like crazy.

And your feet are not as stupid as mine are :) Bill Klingbeil suggested I take up swimming instead (no need for flippers, have natural ones already, LOL!), and said his guys will absolutely hate making my boots - narrow heels, wide ball, high instep, etc etc.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 11:40:12 AM »
In terms of tightness of laces, the leather is still tough so there's no point trying to tug the laces tight. There's no give in the leather to accommodate the feet. It takes time for that to come. The only part of the lacing you want to tighten the tension is the last one maybe two of the eyelets as you get to the ankle, and then I also do the first hook. After that loose again. That's to help lock the heel in place.

One question - when you heat moulded the boots, did you overtighten them? I've been told to overtighten them during the heat moulding and then relax it back to normal when wearing them. It means during the molding the padding is definitely being pushed against the foot, which is effectively what happens when the boots get punched out.

You might also need more than one moulding. I think my latest pair of boots have had at least 2 mouldings if not more. I still have issues if I overtighten the front of the foot, as I've switched from boots which allowed for that to be tighter to ones which need it slightly slacker.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 01:09:08 PM »
Ooh- I couldn't skate in socks at all!  I am a barefoot skater.

I got Jackson Premier with Ultima Matrix Legacy blades.  The blades look nearly identical profile/toe pick size to my current blade (mid level Paramounts) but a fresh rocker is always a challenge.  They also have a cross-cut toe pick, so the picking is a little different, but I've had one before.
Awesome! I get mine tomorrow! I'm so excited  ;D

I also plan on wearing mine in the house...I do plan on lacing the top hook though and doing knee bends (this would be a great time for that off-ice sit spin exercise ack!) and on-ice I also do lots of back crossovers.  When boots are new you don't have to lace as tightly because the padding is new; over time it compresses and then you need to tie tighter.

ps-I also skate barefoot.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 02:42:15 PM »
Where are you having numbness?  Is it on both feet and is it only present during skating or all the time?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 02:54:22 PM »
Both feet are going numb... Both in the big toe, the right foot also along the middle of the foot.  (Which is weird, as my right foot is the smaller one.)

I haven't skated in them yet.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 04:51:05 PM »
It sounds like you may be pinching a nerve.  Look up superficial peroneal sensory nerve distribution- see if your numbness is along that nerve.
If it is- the good news is that it will go away- may take weeks though. However, pressure points need to be addressed.  The common ones are right over the bony prominence on the top of the instep and the other one is where the ankle bends.  At both of those areas the skin over the nerve is really thin and it is easily compressible.  I am having exactly the same problem with Riedell 875.  My coach said that these things will happen with new boots. And the podiatrist said the numbness will go away, but you have to solve the compression issue.   The problem is once the compression has occured, the area is numb, it is impossible to get an immediate feedback whether or not you are adjusting the right area... Let me know how it goes...