You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: A thread for the skating-fashionably challenged.  (Read 13448 times)

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
Re: A thread for the skating-fashionably challenged.
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 05:37:25 PM »
I switched to NY2Sportswear pants because some of their styles are cheaper than my former UA pants.  Plus I like the over the heel look. 

I had a lot of problems with cutting into the side seam of the under armour pants, so mine were riddled with fray-check and safety pins. So far no holes in my NY2 (which look like chloe noel)- and the oldest are over a year now.  I still wear the UA occasionally.

I just skate in a t-shirt. 

I do love that over the heel look, but as I have three pairs of UA I don't think I'll need more skating pants anytime soon!  I've never had a fraying problem with my pairs, but they are a size big (bought purposefully a little large, for comfort), or maybe it's just that the cut works for my body type.  But I'll check out ny2 in the future!

I don't wear cotton tops pretty much ever, because I destroy cotton!  I sweat a lot and cotton shirts are worn thin very quickly, plus I was winding up skating in wet shirts halfway through the session.  Ugh!  My 2 UA tanks are polyester and dry quickly (and worn 2x a week, my co workers probably think I own a grand total of 4 shirts, haha).

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 09:55:15 PM »
I've seen the over-the-heel leggings and to be honest, they drive me crazy. I know they're designed that way, but I can't help thinking that they're going to cause the skater to trip and fall. It's the same at public sessions when I see people wearing jeans that are frayed and hanging down past their blades. Only those aren't meant to be that way and really are a hazard.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 08:31:44 AM »
Orianna- it is highly unlikely a skater will catch their blade in the skating leggings designed to go over the heel. They are designed to fit really snug.
It is WAY more likely if a skater is wearing yoga pants or track pants, even if they don't come near the ice.  

These are the pants I wore when I was a beginner (this video is VERY old)

I stopped wearing them after the second time my blade got caught in them- the falls HURT, and once I nearly pulled my pants off.  That was when I switched to Target leggings (in the summer) and UA (in the winter), but when I found the cheaper, more "skater stylish" option, I was really excited.  No more blade catching!

I've never had a fraying problem with my pairs,
To clarify- I've never had the UA pants fray.  Fray check is a sewing glue designed to hold threads in place. I had one pair (which I think was a manufactorer error, as the store took it back with no problems) where the side seam pulled out from top to bottom in just seconds (thank goodness at home)- so now whenever I clip into that exposed seam, I douse it to keep it from splitting further.  I think I kick myself too much...

Offline icesk8r725

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 01:34:32 PM »
I usually wear some form of black pants, a moisture wicking top, and a track-type jacket over it.  I wear a fleece jacket, but that rarely lasts past my warmup. 

I always pull the back of my pants down over my heel, even my under armour pants.  I would imagine that most people could, especially since I am pretty tall! - try it one of these days :) or maybe I have just stretched them out doing it so often that they've lengthened a bit.. LOL

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 02:05:28 PM »
I always pull the back of my pants down over my heel, even my under armour pants.  I would imagine that most people could, especially since I am pretty tall! - try it one of these days :) or maybe I have just stretched them out doing it so often that they've lengthened a bit.. LOL

I have more than enough length on the UA pants- but the ankle is so skinny, how do you get it to stretch over the boot?  Or are you wearing a style other than their "tights"?

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 03:27:33 PM »
Orianna- it is highly unlikely a skater will catch their blade in the skating leggings designed to go over the heel. They are designed to fit really snug.
It is WAY more likely if a skater is wearing yoga pants or track pants, even if they don't come near the ice.  

These are the pants I wore when I was a beginner (this video is VERY old)

I stopped wearing them after the second time my blade got caught in them- the falls HURT, and once I nearly pulled my pants off.  That was when I switched to Target leggings (in the summer) and UA (in the winter), but when I found the cheaper, more "skater stylish" option, I was really excited.  No more blade catching!

Oh, I know the pants are safe with the heel covered. It just looks dangerous so I always get nervous when I see it. But I know they're made that way, they wouldn't sell them to figure skaters if they were a tripping hazard. I just can't get over how dangerous it looks. But who knows, maybe with time I'll get used to it and try it for myself. You never know!

The pants in the video are similar to what I used to wear. Straight-leg fleece sweat pants. They were so very comfortable, plus they were nice and warm. Then I came here and read about how people get their blades caught while spinning or whatever, plus I realized that I was dressing exactly like all the coaches do, so I switched to leggings. They're not quite as warm, especially on the days our rink cranks the AC up, but for the most part they're fine. I do feel a little awkward since I wear a skating skirt over the leggings and nobody else at the rink does anything similar. I feel like I'm going against the established dress code. But I refuse to wear skin-tight leggings without a skirt over them. I don't want every contour of my hips, thighs, and bottom to be displayed for all the world to see! Besides, I think it's a cute look.

Where do you buy Under Armor? I keep hearing about that, but I've never seen it anywhere locally. Is it just online or do places like Target carry it?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2012, 03:49:33 PM »

Where do you buy Under Armor? I keep hearing about that, but I've never seen it anywhere locally. Is it just online or do places like Target carry it?

Under Armour is has a line called Frosty Tights that is amazing if your rink is cold. They are too hot for me to wear in the summer.

I don't think Target carries it- but I buy them locally at a sporting goods store- Scheel's. If you have something like Dick's or Oshmans (or another one) they likely have them.  They are marketed to runners and other athletese more than skaters. (Though UA used skater Kimmie Meissner in a super bowl advertisement once.)  You can of course buy them online too.

Offline icesk8r725

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 04:50:16 PM »
I have more than enough length on the UA pants- but the ankle is so skinny, how do you get it to stretch over the boot?  Or are you wearing a style other than their "tights"?

I have the cold weather tights... They had this more-or-less skid proof backing on the bottom, but after stretching it over the boot a few times some of it either peeled/fell off and it is looser now (never liked how restricting that felt on my ankles when i wasn't wearing skate's anyway) They definitely don't go over easily, but I make it work! Much easier now... of course I have had them for years now. 

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 05:45:55 PM »
Thanks, I'll look for the Under Armor leggings. I could use a backup pair, since I only have one pair of leggings right now.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 08:01:57 PM »
I wear CWX compression tights with Chloe Noel over-the-heel  leggings over them.  I wear this all seasons for the bottom.  For the top I have a running t-shirt with a Chloe Noel jacket.  The jacket comes off in the summer. 
I love my compression tights- they make me feel secure on the ice!    I am not sure if it is a gimmick, or not, but they claim to have knee stabilization built into the tights.  They have strategically placed strips of different thickness of material running through the tight, so it gives me a feeling of being supported and "all in one piece" :-)  CN stuff is great, too and it fits me well, plus I like the feel of the material. 

At the rinks I go to, there is a variety of skating clothes- you will see it all!  OTB tights, over the heel leggings, shorts, skirts, etc...  Non-skating as well as skating brands...  I am in the Seattle area, though and we are pretty laid back around here. 
Besides, as my mother used to say- "wear what you like- nobody will take it off you" ;-)