You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Poll

Poll/Thread for anyone who INTENDS to compete next April in Hyannis, MA April 8-12

Bronze Free Skate
8 (21.6%)
Bronze Dramatic
4 (10.8%)
Bronze Light Entertainment
5 (13.5%)
Silver Free Skate
4 (10.8%)
Silver Dramatic
3 (8.1%)
Silver Light Entertainment
3 (8.1%)
Gold Free Skate
4 (10.8%)
Gold Dramatic
1 (2.7%)
Gold Light Entertainment
1 (2.7%)
Masters Free Skate
1 (2.7%)
Masters Dramatic
0 (0%)
Masters Light Entertainment
0 (0%)
Dance Any Event
3 (8.1%)
Pairs Any Event
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: 2014 Adult Nationals. Thread for anyone who INTENDS to compete.  (Read 10365 times)

Offline Adultsk8r509

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 34
    • Adult Figure Skating Over 50
Let's start a thread/support group for next years Adult Nationals.  I have to start early to get motivated as it will be my first time and I have so many hurdles before I can register to skate.
Having said that... I have already booked a room and my intention as of today is to skate Adult Bronze Ladies IV Freeskate, Dramatic & Light Entertainment.

Let's start a support group!

DONT VOTE UNLESS YOU PLAN ON COMPETING !!!  GOOD LUCK EVERYONE.
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
Re: 2014 Adult Nationals. Thread for anyone who INTENDS to compete.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 01:54:55 PM »
I'm planning to go! I have to pass my bronze free skate first, but I'm planning to test it next month. I'd like to compete ladies I Bronze FS, solo dance (probably pre-bronze), and maybe dramatic, depending on what I can put together before that. It is definitely in my long term plans!

Did you get a good price on a room by booking this early?
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Adultsk8r509

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 02:01:31 PM »

Did you get a good price on a room by booking this early?
CAPE COD RESORT AND CONFERENCE CENTER $115 per night under the USFS booking code (you have to call the resort) Tel (508) 775-7775

I'm planning to go! I have to pass my bronze free skate first, but I'm planning to test it next month.
Me too.  No test date in sight yet.  Maybe July if I can.  (^*%&^% back spin
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 02:12:02 PM »
I'd like to compete ladies I Bronze FS, solo dance (probably pre-bronze), and maybe dramatic, depending on what I can put together before that. It is definitely in my long term plans!

There is no solo pre-bronze dance at ANs, just FYI. As long as you have completed your pre-bronze dances, though, you can do Bronze solo dance.

I'm planning on going, but have to start saving now because it's going to be expensive. I'll be doing Silver I FS, Dramatic, and probably Pre-Silver solo dance (just need to pass a few more tests to move up in dance).

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 02:41:25 PM »
There is no solo pre-bronze dance at ANs, just FYI. As long as you have completed your pre-bronze dances, though, you can do Bronze solo dance.

Ah, thanks. I wasn't sure what was the lowest level dance without checking. I'm taking my pre-bronze dances next week, and have started working on bronze dances, so I might have something ready by April. I'll have to talk it over with dance coach.

No test date in sight yet.  Maybe July if I can.  (^*%&^% back spin

I think you are very, very close on the back spin. If you don't have it by July, I'm sure you'll have it in plenty of time to test for Nationals!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 03:30:35 PM »
I'm tempted to do Eastern Sectionals, but it's a lot of work and I'm injured, so I might not make it after all.  Not thinking about AN, though.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline CaraSkates

• Total GOE: 367
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 03:33:47 PM »
I'm planning on going, but have to start saving now because it's going to be expensive. I'll be doing Silver I FS, Dramatic, and probably Pre-Silver solo dance (just need to pass a few more tests to move up in dance).

I'm hoping to go also! I will be at Eastern Sectionals for sure, just hoping to save enough to go to Nationals also! Sectionals is only about 2-3 hrs from me this year! I'd compete Silver 1 FS also and Silver Light Entertainment. Not sure about dance yet or not... If I pass a pre-gold dance by then, I think I might have to compete Gold Entertainment. Can you even do that? Two levels at Nationals? Should I make sure to not test any pre-golds before February?

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 04:06:12 PM »
I'm hoping to go also! I will be at Eastern Sectionals for sure, just hoping to save enough to go to Nationals also! Sectionals is only about 2-3 hrs from me this year! I'd compete Silver 1 FS also and Silver Light Entertainment. Not sure about dance yet or not... If I pass a pre-gold dance by then, I think I might have to compete Gold Entertainment. Can you even do that? Two levels at Nationals? Should I make sure to not test any pre-golds before February?

If your dances move you up, you can skate two different levels for FS and artistic. I believe at least one person did that this year. If you did wait to take your pre-golds, then you'd likely have to wait until after ANs because you couldn't take any tests that would change either of your levels.

I'm Pac Coasts for sectionals, but it would be awesome to have another Silver I at ANs!

Offline CaraSkates

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 04:32:25 PM »
If your dances move you up, you can skate two different levels for FS and artistic. I believe at least one person did that this year. If you did wait to take your pre-golds, then you'd likely have to wait until after ANs because you couldn't take any tests that would change either of your levels.

I'm Pac Coasts for sectionals, but it would be awesome to have another Silver I at ANs!

Thanks! Odds are high I won't pass any pre-golds till after AN anyway, based on our test sessions (I still have to pass silver but planning to test silver in August/Jan/March). Sounds like it might be easiest to plan on testing pre-golds next summer.

I'd love to meet another Silver I! I'm usually the youngest by far at competitions around here (not that I've done many, I'm only entered in my second adult competition in August!) and I feel like sometimes that gives me an unfair advantage...

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 05:31:06 PM »
Thanks! Odds are high I won't pass any pre-golds till after AN anyway, based on our test sessions (I still have to pass silver but planning to test silver in August/Jan/March). Sounds like it might be easiest to plan on testing pre-golds next summer.

I'd love to meet another Silver I! I'm usually the youngest by far at competitions around here (not that I've done many, I'm only entered in my second adult competition in August!) and I feel like sometimes that gives me an unfair advantage...

Remember that all tests have to be passed by Feb 1, so that might mess up your test timing with that schedule as far as the March test.

I'm on the older end of the Is, and I'm still usually the youngest at the competitions around here. It really depends on the event, but there are some skaters that are older than I am that can beat me hands down so I don't think age always gives an advantage. But it is more fun to skate with a group of I's sometimes!

Offline CaraSkates

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 05:37:30 PM »
Remember that all tests have to be passed by Feb 1, so that might mess up your test timing with that schedule as far as the March test.

I'm on the older end of the Is, and I'm still usually the youngest at the competitions around here. It really depends on the event, but there are some skaters that are older than I am that can beat me hands down so I don't think age always gives an advantage. But it is more fun to skate with a group of I's sometimes!

I've already passed both Silver and Pre-Juv FS and Pre-Silver dance so I don't *need* anything new to skate at Sectionals/Nationals. Any tests between now and Feb 1 will be MIF or dances tests. If I work hard, I could take my last Silver dance in March and I will most likely not compete dance at Sectionals/Nationals. Thanks for mentioning it though!

I am on the younger end of the Is and am by far the youngest. I would just like to meet some slightly younger adult skaters to make friends with!

Offline Mainiac159

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 12:02:00 AM »
I'll come out of lurk mode for this thread!   I've wanted to attend ANs ever since I heard about it in 1998.   I didn't qualify for 2008 in Lake Placid, but I attended and had a blast.   I'm thrilled the competition is back on the East coast.   

I'm competing in Bronze Light Entertainment and Dramatic.   I'll be in level 5 - the youngest, I bet, as I turn 61 ten days before the competition starts!   I've got my music chosen,  my Coach has reworked my program from last year, and we just started working on the second program.   Yippee!   

I think I'll know many skaters attending as I've skated and lived in three northeastern states   I also look forward to meeting all of you on this board.   

Pat

Offline Adultsk8r509

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 01:54:24 AM »
I'll come out of lurk mode for this thread!   I've wanted to attend ANs ever since I heard about it in 1998.   I didn't qualify for 2008 in Lake Placid, but I attended and had a blast.   I'm thrilled the competition is back on the East coast.   

I'm competing in Bronze Light Entertainment and Dramatic.   I'll be in level 5 - the youngest, I bet, as I turn 61 ten days before the competition starts!   I've got my music chosen,  my Coach has reworked my program from last year, and we just started working on the second program.   Yippee!   

I think I'll know many skaters attending as I've skated and lived in three northeastern states   I also look forward to meeting all of you on this board.   

Pat
That's fantastic Pat ...  There's only 1 thing I admire more than the IV skaters .... it's the V skaters !!!!!  Adult figure skating... crazy... I love it!  I will keep going as long as my body lets me!  Look forward to meeting you.
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 04:07:52 PM »
I'll be a IV before I make it to ANs since I'm 50 right now.  And I have both Bronze tests to go.  I hope to get my lungs back to a healthy state and test next year.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 06:20:16 PM »
I heard that in Canada, Adult Nationals are in Regina this coming year, which is tempting for me because it's central and easy to get to.  Any Canadians here?  If you've gone, how was it?  I'm super curious.  I haven't competed as an adult.

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 01:27:17 PM »
I hope to make it to Boston. Not sure what level freestyle yet since I hope to test next month.
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 02:14:39 PM »
You guys are lucky you have cool places to host your Nationals.

I'm Canadian and most people I speak to are considering going to the ISU Adult Comp in Oberstdorf over Regina. 

I've been to a few Canadian Adult Nationals and it's fine.  It has been getting smaller and smaller every year because it's always in small places that cost a lot to fly into.  In PEI two years ago they also kept changing the schedule and lots of people just didn't show up so it was a waste of time

Offline Rachelsk8s

• I'm probably skating......
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 08:16:07 PM »
I wasn't 100% sure if I was going to do Adult Nationals this year but my coach and I have been talking about it and I'm thinking that I'm probably going to :) does anyone know the deadline for registration? I've been looking online but can't seem to find it. I know that tests have to be passed by February 1st, I'm hoping this is still correct too as I'm planning on testing before...I've put it off since it's been a rough few months :'( ( I recently lost my mom) 

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 01:41:33 PM »

Pat
Actually, since you are 61 only 10 days before the competition, you will be a IV not a V.  Cut off date is 2/1, so unless your Bday is 2/1 or earlier, you will be a 4.  :)

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 06:11:04 PM »
I wasn't 100% sure if I was going to do Adult Nationals this year but my coach and I have been talking about it and I'm thinking that I'm probably going to :) does anyone know the deadline for registration? I've been looking online but can't seem to find it. I know that tests have to be passed by February 1st, I'm hoping this is still correct too as I'm planning on testing before...I've put it off since it's been a rough few months :'( ( I recently lost my mom)

Deadline will be February 1. Announcements and registration for ANs and most Sectionals will be out Dec 16, per the adult skating committee (usually Dec 15, but the new computer system at USFS won't let the. Do it until Monday). Easterns non-qual announcement and entryeeze registration has been up for a bit.

Offline Rachelsk8s

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 08:23:48 PM »
Deadline will be February 1. Announcements and registration for ANs and most Sectionals will be out Dec 16, per the adult skating committee (usually Dec 15, but the new computer system at USFS won't let the. Do it until Monday). Easterns non-qual announcement and entryeeze registration has been up for a bit.

Thank you :)

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2013, 08:00:36 PM »
Here's the link that includes registration and hotel information:

http://www.2014usadultnationalchampionships.com/

And here's the link to Technical Notification 140, which changes the rules for Dramatic and Light Entertainment to dovetail with Showcase:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/2013-14%20Nonqualifying%20Showcase%20Guidelines.%20Sept%20201
3,%20final%20to%20post.pdf

I'm competing in Ladies Bronze Free IV and Bronze Light Entertainment IV.

See you there!!

Offline Rachelsk8s

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 12:06:37 PM »
Here's the link that includes registration and hotel information:

http://www.2014usadultnationalchampionships.com/

And here's the link to Technical Notification 140, which changes the rules for Dramatic and Light Entertainment to dovetail with Showcase:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/2013-14%20Nonqualifying%20Showcase%20Guidelines.%20Sept%20201
3,%20final%20to%20post.pdf

I'm competing in Ladies Bronze Free IV and Bronze Light Entertainment IV.

See you there!!

Awesome!!! Thanks so much for posting :)

Offline Adultsk8r509

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2013, 06:45:17 PM »
Bronze IV is going to be a big group!!!  I will be happy as long as it doesn't say WD next to my name no matter what place.....
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline Adultsk8r509

I have a few questions .. first time as a competitor...
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 02:02:33 AM »
Do the competitors also have to pay for admission to watch other events or is that only for their friends/family/coaches?
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com