You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Practice tights......  (Read 10001 times)

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Practice tights......
« on: October 22, 2014, 02:33:04 PM »
Hey guys,

So I have been wondering.......back in the 80's we used to have these AWESOME footless tights that were a heavy knit (very narrow rib knit iir), heavier than the heaviest mondors, and consequently nice and warm.  They came in tan and black, perhaps some other colors too, and were worn over our regular tights.

I am so missing these, they were super comfortable and I lived in them in the winter, even off the ice.....does anyone else remember them and by some freak chance know if they're still available?  We called them "woolies" at my rink...pretty sure that was just our slang for them and not the actual trade name.

tia!

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
Re: Practice tights......
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 07:48:38 PM »
Sweater tights!!!!  I had two pairs up in my drawer, pre-pregnancy.  I'll have to see if they are still there . . . .   too hot to wear down here in South Florida, but they are great for skating in northern rinks.  I don't think they are made anymore.

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 01:17:37 AM »
I have a friend who has some, I'm not sure where she got them... :/

Offline Loops

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 03:40:42 AM »
Well "sweater tights" is a good start for the google search!!!!  Thanks!!!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 03:50:30 PM »
All hail American Apparel: (Run Small)
http://store.americanapparel.net/leggings_cat33288

look for 'thermal leggings' rather than sweater leggings
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 04:26:39 PM »
Those old sweater tights were likely made/sold by Mondor - they were discontinued some time back.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 06:52:37 PM »
Those leggings are great.  Love the flag & rainbow ones!

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 08:34:58 PM »
I wear their winter leggings to skate a lot!

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 09:23:51 PM »
Just realised I picked a couple of pairs of those up in a shop in NH last Christmas (old stock - $10/pair). OH refers to me as Nora Batty when I wear them  :P

Offline Loops

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 12:47:23 AM »
I'll check the American apparel, but based on comments seems like I'd need to try them on. Found these yesterday.  Look thinner than I'd hoped, but might work (French site, description is in English tho). Price is ok, too...

http://www.movedancewear.com/fr/echauffement-gaynor_minden_sweater_tights/2518/

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 07:46:01 AM »
I'll check the American apparel, but based on comments seems like I'd need to try them on. Found these yesterday.  Look thinner than I'd hoped, but might work (French site, description is in English tho). Price is ok, too...

http://www.movedancewear.com/fr/echauffement-gaynor_minden_sweater_tights/2518/

I have these, but honestly I am not 100% happy with them. I tend to wear them over OTB tights in the winter, but I am still cold. My Second rink is REALLY cold when it drops below zero.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline Loops

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 08:46:11 AM »
I have these, but honestly I am not 100% happy with them. I tend to wear them over OTB tights in the winter, but I am still cold. My Second rink is REALLY cold when it drops below zero.

Hmmmm.  Not the review I was hoping for....have you found a decent alternative? I don't want to be too hot, but on the other hand, the skating we do here is pretty light-weight, so..... 

Offline PhysicsOnIce

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 09:03:14 AM »
Hmmmm.  Not the review I was hoping for....have you found a decent alternative? I don't want to be too hot, but on the other hand, the skating we do here is pretty light-weight, so.....

No not really, I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these two, but I have not purchased either at the moment:

http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_P0928.html?pid=4194&Shop=Style&SID=627205311

http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_92.html?pid=3323&Shop=Style&SID=627206080

but each has it's own down falls. Right now I am simply wearing two tights, and when it get's really cold I normally switch to thermal running pants.  I've also toyed with the idea of thermal underwear, like the ones people use for skiing, but have not tried it. 

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 09:17:11 AM »
When I skated in the cold (Atlanta, LOL), I bought a pair of fleece pants that had inside and outside leg zippers.  You could completely take them on or off without taking off your skates.   I still have them.   They were great in Atlanta during the winter when you needed to warm up, and then could take them off.  They are polartec and didn't allow the wind in.  I imagine that in a very cold place, they would work really well all the time   They are usually used in hiking, but work great for skating.   That is my warmest skating gear.  Similar, but not exact, to this:

http://www.redledge.com/products/view/id/47#!80445/c23ow

Offline Loops

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 09:20:42 AM »
yeah, I'm wearing two pairs of tights too.  The thickest Mondor ones and it's OK.  I just loved those snuggly woolies we used to wear.  Out of curiousity, how does shipping work for you when you order from the states though?  France is AWESOME (in a bad way) about charging customs....One time, my mother sent something marked "no commercial value" so they made something up and tried to charge me.  Hence I'd like to find a European source.  Those things you sent look very interesting....wouldn't actual leg warmers have a tendency to fall down though? 

I'd like to check out those American Apparel ones.  I looked through the reviews though and a number of people said although they were awesome, they fit funny, so I'd be reluctant to order them blind.....

I used to have some pants like Neverdull describes.....They were good!

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7

Offline PhysicsOnIce

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 09:35:25 AM »
yeah, I'm wearing two pairs of tights too.  The thickest Mondor ones and it's OK.  I just loved those snuggly woolies we used to wear.  Out of curiousity, how does shipping work for you when you order from the states though?  France is AWESOME (in a bad way) about charging customs....One time, my mother sent something marked "no commercial value" so they made something up and tried to charge me.  Hence I'd like to find a European source.  Those things you sent look very interesting....wouldn't actual leg warmers have a tendency to fall down though? 

I'm in a bit of a privileged situation at the moment, when it comes to shipping/customs.  Belgium is also crazy on charging customs, so I take advantage of my mom travelling to and from Europe on a regular bases.  Most of the time, I just order a bunch of stuff at once and have her bring it when she comes.

I've seen ice dancers at our rink use leg warmers, but I have no clue how well they would hold up to a freestyle session, hints why I have not ordered them. 

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 01:52:30 PM »
When I skated in the cold (Atlanta, LOL), I bought a pair of fleece pants that had inside and outside leg zippers.  You could completely take them on or off without taking off your skates.   I still have them.   They were great in Atlanta during the winter when you needed to warm up, and then could take them off.  They are polartec and didn't allow the wind in.  I imagine that in a very cold place, they would work really well all the time   They are usually used in hiking, but work great for skating. 

I have these http://www.skate-buys.com/mo44popostzi.html for warm up and find they work really well when it gets very chilly (Nov - Apr!!). Other days I wear fleece lined leggings I bought when we were skiing last winter under my skating leggings - they cost about $15 but I can't find a brand on them. They're like this (but cost a bit more  ;)) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Winter-Warm-Leggings-Fleece-Lined-Solid-Long-Stretchy-Thick-Regular-Plus-/121178684488

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 01:12:52 AM »
Just spotted Chloe Noel thermal tights - perhaps they'll work? http://www.shop.kinziescloset.com/ChloeNoel-BP10-Thermal-Legging-Tights-CNBP10.htm

Offline Loops

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 01:20:39 AM »
Just spotted Chloe Noel thermal tights - perhaps they'll work? http://www.shop.kinziescloset.com/ChloeNoel-BP10-Thermal-Legging-Tights-CNBP10.htm

Ooh, that's a particularly good find! Thanks!

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 08:54:07 AM »
Those Chloe Noel look warm! On the cable knit front, they have cabled leggings at my Target right now, in the junior clothes area.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 12:45:15 PM »
I skate in a very cold rink - and I am always cold anyway. During winter I wear footed tights and fleece skating pants - lycra outside, fleece on the inside and 4 way stretch. It's the only thing that keeps me warm enough!

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2014, 04:03:23 PM »
I skate in a very cold rink - and I am always cold anyway. During winter I wear footed tights and fleece skating pants - lycra outside, fleece on the inside and 4 way stretch. It's the only thing that keeps me warm enough!

I need pants like that! I know my yoga pants aren't going to cut it as the weather cools down. Can you recommend yours?

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 07:02:50 PM »

Offline Loops

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 04:16:31 AM »
Ooh those Mondors do look snuggly, I'll add those to my search list......

And CaraSkates, please do tell more about your fleece pants!