You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Watching the Zamboni > Spectator Skating Discussions

My Big Olympic Ideas

(1/4) > >>

FigureSpins:
I hereby propose:

. Technical Jumping - full-ice program with 7 jumps maximum, no spins, minimal choreography, IJS judging.  Let 'em do quads and quints all they like.

. Technical Spinning - full-ice program with 5 spins maximum, each with at least one change of foot and edge.  Two can start with a flying entrance, the others with difficult entries.
  Maximum four positions/spin, IJS judging.  Let 'em cover the ice with artistry.

. Artistry - max 3 jumps and 2 spins, full ice. Requirements include full-ice step sequence with recognizable pattern, plus a choreography sequence to include gliding movements like spirals, spreadeagles, hydroglides, etc.  Focus will be on music interpretation and character demonstration. Allow duets, both mixed-gender and same-sex teams.

Singles - Mens and Womens
. Eliminate the short program.  Let the Technical events replace it entirely.
. Keep the Free Skate event as-is, with all the same rules and IJS judging.

Pairs
. Eliminate the short program.  Let the Technical events replace it entirely.
. Keep the Free Skate event as-is, with all the same rules and IJS judging.

Dance
. Keep them as-is.  Ice Dance revamped their structure already to come into the new age.
. Allow same-sex couples to perform.

Synchro
. Let 'em in already!  Limit it to one or two teams per country if the headcount is such a show-stopper.

Figures
. Undecided, but open to suggestions. 
. Frankly, it's not a well-viewed discipline, but maybe they could use drones and imaging to show the completed patterns, which would make it more tangible for a viewing audience.

I'm also open to a Theater on Ice style competition that my proposed Artistry category could become part of, as a separate event. 

Our skaters need more options to win a medal.  Friggin' swimmers and snowboarders have abundant opportunities for medals, but figure skaters get one or two chances.

Unfair!

Thoughts, comments ... violent disagreements?

Bill_S:
I'm with you on keeping the IJS judging rules. I was never comfortable with the old scoring system that some want to return to. Some argue that both systems can be gamed, but I think that the new system is less susceptible to it. Really, it doesn't seem that difficult to comprehend with the help of the little scoreboxes that accompany programs-in-progress on TV, and commentary.

I'm not sure about the jump/spin technical sections. For me, that would be boring. However, I suspect that it would address one common criticism of figure skating, that it's not judged by hard, objective numbers like lap times, pounds lifted, etc. That would help doubting viewers perceive some "objectivity", but it's not something that I want to watch.

I'll even bet that the others would get bored watching the 10th competitor go through their triple axels, quad sals, etc. regardless of how objective it is.

I'm mixed on synchro, and could be persuaded either way.

I'm in complete agreement with the situation for ice dance. It's my favorite discipline to watch on TV. That's probably because I'm a skater and can appreciate the complete control over difficult turns. I'm not sure how the general public perceives it, but my non-skating wife also prefers to watch it over singles or pairs.

Pandora:
I would love to see more options in technical jump scoring, like they have in spinning.....

For example, a skater who isn't so flexible can still gain features doing a difficult entry or an edge change or difficult transition rather than a Beillmann or Y-catch position.

Maybe offer an option for double jumps in the opposite direction that is equal to points for a triple of that same jump in the skater's dominant skating direction, or something like that?
I think it would make it more interesting!  :)

FigureSpins:
They could use technology to measure RPMs, height, distance and correctness of takeoffs, landings, etc.  It would be like diving or x-games style events.

LunarSkater:
What would you consider as Technical for Pairs? The elements are unique enough that perhaps that part could focus on lifts and the spins.

As for adding Synchro, I am all for it. Take out the current Team event. Why even have it when the skaters are just repeating the same programs they'll be competing in the regular events? Now, if they replaced it with a showcase number, that might be more interesting. But I'd still rather have Synchro.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page