You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Breaking in boots, continued - question about insoles  (Read 13202 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Breaking in boots, continued - question about insoles
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2015, 03:25:10 PM »
If you need to tape the foot itself with this specialized "low dye taping" technique, your troubles are way beyond my knowledge level. Maybe you better ignore everything I said.

Though your PT friend who treats most of the Broadway dancers has to be good. Maybe she has contacts to get you a job on Broadway, that will pay for the visit  :)

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2015, 04:06:17 PM »
Ha!  But I can't sing or dance!

I'm seeing her tomorrow.  So happy she fit me in so quickly.  She is way more reasonable than the podiatrist (very reasonable actually, especially for NYC!) and I know she will put her all into the visit, and is an excellent clinician.

I also just ordered the ErgoPad Ski & Skate orthotics from Bauerfiend.  http://www.bauerfeindusa.com/en/products/foot-orthoses/ergopad-ski-skate.html
They are coming from Germany so 7-10 days and I can return if needed so wanted to get it going.  Plus I got a professional discount - half price, so figured why not.  I spoke with their prosthetist and he thought these would likely work for me as they are highly customizable and he would instruct me or my PT friend, after she assesses my feet.

Sadly, whatever I tried on Friday just put my arches (mostly the right) over the edge and I am really surprised because I'd skated much longer than I did Friday, just not with the higher arched insoles.  Who knew 20 minutes could be so bad!!  I took them out by then, maybe even sooner.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2015, 04:18:12 PM »
Sometimes (often times or most times) you have to keep things REALLY simple and not be so quick to over complicate things.  Also hard to assess your own feet because you don't have the same vantage point as someone watching you does.

I totally did this and it did not serve me well at all, but glad I recognized it last Friday, albeit on the late side.  Starting to improve from the self-inflicted strain from over-thinking last Friday.

I saw my PT friend today for an evaluation and treatment and am over the moon thrilled I did.  Hadn't seen her in years and missed her.  She is such a wonderful person and an infinitely skilled PT!

She doesn't think I need orthotics, but just cushioning and maybe a bit of support under the base of my first toe.  We will assess the Bauerfeind orthotics when they come in and see if they would work but if they don't and IF I need anything more than cushioning, there is another insole that is over the counter she believes should work.

She is pretty sure the issue is structural.  My forefoot is supinated (not my hindfoot or heal) and the metatarsals were pretty well stuck but she successfully made headway.  My right hip is also tight and internally rotating and this may have "driven" the foot issue.  I had a little knee issue I was aware of and the hip is likely driving that too.  She's pretty sure my back is not an issue and didn't find anything there.

So incredibly grateful to be able to get treated by her.  She said of course she would see me, we go way back and I was with her when she started out.  That touched me.  Not all our friends from back then are still humble and, well nice!  Feeling lucky and feeling like I am moving forward.  I have a lot to do at home and on the ice and will see her next Tuesday for follow up and treatment.

Oh and for the numbness/cold issue she agrees is probably the tongue stiffness (I brought my skates) and a nerve compression issue and gave me some foam in different thicknesses to try lifting the tongue off the nerve.

So ironic, I ALWAYS go for CUSHIONING in sneakers!  It has always been my go-to.  I really, really just over-thunk this one.  But I need treatment so I am in the best place possible.

:love:

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2015, 05:26:49 PM »
Yes!!!   Happy Feet are wonderful!  Hope you heal your heels!

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2015, 05:29:34 PM »
Thanks @neverdull!  Happy feet, happy me!   :)

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2015, 06:44:27 PM »
Skated today and after one treatment had significant improvement in arch cramping on the right.  Not gone but the severity was 40-50% on my first tie, a bit less the next 2 re-ties.

PT also suggested I essentially lift the tongue off my nerve by adding a bit of foam to the sides of the tongue so the middle can't compress.  (I didn't adhere anything since it's temporary, which made it a bit less controllable for positioning but it also improved that issue 40-50%.  My feet never got frozen, which was a significant relief.  I did get numb but it took a lot longer and was not as severe.  All in all much more manageable!  I will give it some more time with the treatment and breaking in but softening those tongues may not be a bad idea.  Although it will be a last resort.  I'm very pleased with how far I came in just one treatment!  She is so great.  Best move I could've made.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2015, 01:30:31 PM »

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2015, 02:04:40 PM »
She doesn't think I'll need to many treatments.  We are going to tweak the insoles if needed after my foot is back in a normal position.  I just need cushioning (moved the foam that was under the superfeet on top for the moment but it is currently not enough).  We are going to assess the Bauerfiend insoles when they arrive since I already ordered them (coming from Germany as they were out of stock) and if that doesn't do it she has another insole she likes.  I just don't remember the name.  Also playing with foam to keep the tongue off the nerve while it breaks in.

Her PT practice is PhysioArts (www.physioarts.com) in Chelsea.  Everyone there is good!

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2015, 02:49:28 PM »
Glad you had alot better skate!  Sounds like you are on the right track.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2015, 09:20:50 PM »
Done with the numb and cold - going to get the tongues softened tomorrow by fitter.  Cross fingers this does it!  Getting off the ice every 20 minutes is getting old, especially in the middle of a lesson!

Needed a sharpening too but pa-lease let this be the end of the numb toes!   >:(

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2015, 09:02:13 AM »
Glad you can feel your toes again! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2015, 12:37:06 PM »
I think I confused you.  I cannot feel my toes after 20-ish minutes!  So annoying already.  I can't keep doing it so caving and having the tongues softened.  Sigh.  Took the week off skating because of it.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2015, 01:20:26 PM »
Oh I'm a dork. I saw "done with the numb and cold..." and thought you'd solved that and just needed to fix the tongue. I plead sick kid distraction here! You meant it as "I AM SO ;$:&($! DONE WITH THE NUMB ANS COLD!!!" And that stinks. :(

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2015, 08:52:18 PM »
Haha yeah so @#$$%^! done with foot numbness!  Sorry you have a sick kid!

Got the tongues softened and heat molded boots again.  Taking a step at a time.  Starting with the tongue.  Didn't want to stretch anything else or punch out just yet.

I handed the fitter the boots, he looked at them and said they look brand new, out of the box and that I hadn't broken them down at all!  I wanted to cry!

Hope your kid feels better soon and the other doesn't get it!!

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2015, 10:43:12 PM »
Haha yeah so @#$$%^! done with foot numbness!  Sorry you have a sick kid!

Got the tongues softened and heat molded boots again.  Taking a step at a time.  Starting with the tongue.  Didn't want to stretch anything else or punch out just yet.

I handed the fitter the boots, he looked at them and said they look brand new, out of the box and that I hadn't broken them down at all!  I wanted to cry!

Hope your kid feels better soon and the other doesn't get it!!

Just saw this. It was both kids and they're all better now, thank goodness! I can't believe the fitter said you haven't broken them in at all. :'( But maybe that means they'll get a lot better....someday?  :-\

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2015, 07:55:44 PM »
Yes he said "when" I do break them in they should be amazing.  He really wants me to wear them in the apartment - a lot.  Not easy to do in a small apartment.  Too much "stuff" but I will.

I took an advanced ankle & foot (PT) course the last 4 days with a well renowned PT (for feet) and it was very good for what's going on with my issues as well as general education.  I brought my skates to class and got some recommendations for orthotics that can be manipulated to my needs and he also doesn't think I'd need custom orthotics.  We learned to cast for orthotics as well.  It's really easy but also really easy to mess up and explains why so many custom orthotics are not good - if not casted in a neutral foot.

It was great that during class he pointed out anything we were talking about that affected, or was common in skaters, and how.

Glad you are all healthy in your home again!