You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Does changing to new blades make a difference??  (Read 7693 times)

Offline ls99

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 14
Re: Does changing to new blades make a difference??
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »
The Manufacturer's catalog I tested significantly modified blade shape by camera perspective. MK and Wilson blades with factory ground shapes vary significantly from blade to blade. MK sold a few profile templates of an old blade design, which are treasured possessions. No major manufacturer does now, or publishes manufacturer specs. Perhaps there are design patents?

:) Small profile variations are probably less important than practice frequency and coaching. :)

Fully hardened steel blades would shatter and rust too easily, due to brittleness and composition. (They also couldn't take as sharp an edge, which matters to some.)

Two experts I've talked to say sharpening machine grinding wheels don't clog if you treat them right.

You raised some very interesting points:

The photos I tested did not have a significant distortion, In addition, I checked my MK double stars against two different Professionals. The differences were as I described earlier.

I found no disclosure anywhere that the blade profiles of MK Single Stars, Double Stars and Professionals were different. Perhaps that is Occult Knowledge, only known by Initiates.  I would guess that the high end blades may have unique profiles, I did not dwell on or inquire into anything in the MK line beyond the Professionals. But I am now curious and in time will look to see what information is disclosed to the buyers.

Regarding patents, will look into that angle. It is relatively easy to search the US Patent offices records.  The catch is that if in fact there are patents, then the significant parameters must be disclosed, and are available to anyone for a small fee, or free via downloadable files, photos, descriptions from the USPTO. Oh yeah, USPTO= United States Patent Office.

Regarding small profile change vs. practice, no argument there.

Though  some long time skaters have noted some difficulty adjusting to new blades even of  the same make model size mounted to their existing boots.  My skating skills are far to limited to give a fair and unbiased opinion.

The process of hardening most any steel product does in fact include the tempering process, which in fact reduces and mitigates built up stresses in the hardening process. Sorry if I inferred that blades should be hardened only. That would be patently absurd. I do believe I noted the word tempering.

Lastly, the grind stone clogging I noted was about a hand manipulated stone, not a motorized grinding wheel.

Having used a variety of motorized grinding tools, including precision wheel bearing race grinding. That is a good bit more involved than grinding a radius of hollow in a straight line.  I am very familiar with the grinding processes. Have CNC experience as well.  And very  much agree with the noted expert opinions.
CNC=Computer Numerical Control used in automated systems.

In time I'll post on what I find in the patent searches if any.  Will give a try to European as well as the British system, they may be far more difficult than the US system. Thanks for the bringing up that angle.

Advantage of retirement, have time to play on on the ice and engage the brain on some technical aspects of the skate blades themselves. Heck, who knows I may even get curious about the boots.

Granted, only perfect practice will produce high quality skating skills.

Cheers,

ls99
There must be moderation in everything. Including moderation.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2011, 10:40:51 PM »
My kids have had both Double Stars and Wilson CorAces.  The profiles are different - the Aces are more prominent.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline ls99

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 09:30:13 AM »
Thank you. That is good info.

Even though HD Sports of Sheffield England makes both the Wilson and MK skate lines, they are different. Oddly, at usa_skates (trying not to run afoul of advertising rules) the professionals are about $203 v CorAces @ $190.

For the time being I am staying in the MK line inquiry and am interested in the specific differences of double stars v professionals.

And now off to the rink for some fun skating.
There must be moderation in everything. Including moderation.