You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Choreo sequence  (Read 3898 times)

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
Choreo sequence
« on: January 17, 2014, 05:36:06 PM »
Can someone shed some light on the chore sequence in programs? 

What is exactly a choreo sequence anyway and what is the difference between it and the step sequence?

Does a choreo sequence ever get scored higher than level 1?  It seems that all the  ChSq is always ChSq1. 

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
Re: Choreo sequence
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 07:51:11 PM »
I might be wrong on this but I believe the choreo sequence needs to include a spiral of any length. The step sequence is made up of all steps (footwork) and must go from end to end. It can include a jump but a non-elemented jump.

I received 0 credit in my last IJS competition because my step sequence did not go from end to end. Had I included more steps or added a spiral I would have received full credit. I included a flip-toe as part of the sequence and that is where I went wrong.
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 08:39:19 PM »
Men do not need a spiral in their choreo sequence, but ladies and pairs do. 

The rule is on p. 4 http://usfsa.org/content/First%20Aid%20Singles.pdf

There is only one level.  I think the requirements are deliberately open-ended.  Similarly with the synchro "Creative Element".

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 12:41:42 AM »
Thanks for the clarification!

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 03:52:50 PM »
You can include a jump pass in the choreo sequence, however, you must continue with the sequence once the jump in competed.  For example, I have my second Axel in my choreo right after the spiral and then have a falling leaf and some turns to finish up (it's already near the "far" end of my sequence)

Some choreo sequences don't get called because they don't have a clear beginning and/or don't cover the entire rink. 

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 11:21:03 PM »
Basically, the choreo sequence is the replacement for the ladies' spiral sequence and the men's second step sequence.  It is not given any levels--only GOE--because it was created in order to allow more freedom of choreographic expression.  The most important things to remember when choreographing a choreo sequence are to make sure it expresses the music and make sure it covers the entire ice surface (the width of the rink if circular, or red end line to red end line if straight line or serpentine shape).  And yes, for the ladies, to include at least one spiral of any length.