You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Modesty or pretty? Skating apparel for adult skaters  (Read 18438 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Modesty or pretty? Skating apparel for adult skaters
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:04:26 PM »
For the record, I now wear BLACK! leggings, BLACK! wrap skirt, and another 5 all BLACK! protective items for practice. It makes me feel more professional than dresses or skirts :)

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 10:56:51 PM »
The author of the rebuttal seems to have taken this overly seriously.  Nowhere did Xan ever say that our bodies were gross as the other author seems to imply.  She just pointed out what seems to work for adults.  And actually ENCOURAGED sparkles and dresses on adults (and points out several styles that adults who are uncomfortable might be able to try).  That's it, that's all.

I've seen some adults in crap - ill fitting kid's skating clothes (many dresses are still 'kid shaped' even in a larger size, which is why the 'cover your butt' rule is so very important - double check!), inappropriate clothing like jeans.  And I'm sorry but no adult should wear booty shorts (and some people need to be told that apparently).  And I think THAT'S the clothing she was targeting. 

There's a line between friendly advice designed to help you not embarrass yourself and a diatribe about what adults SHOULDN'T wear and Xan certainly hasn't crossed it.

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:14:50 AM »
I dunno, you should wear what you are comfortable in, and what is flattering for your body type, no matter what your age.  I've certainly seen some inappropriate clothing on 8 year olds as often as 28 year olds, and I'm sure everyone else here has too!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 10:21:38 AM »
I think too many people worry more about what to wear than about what they do on the ice.  If you really need fashion in order to skate, your priorities are misplaced as a skater.  Ditto for critiquing others' apparel.  Just mho and yes, inappropriate clothing exists for all ages, not just in skating.  I used to go into Macy's children's department and ask for "opaque" summer clothing because everything was see-through or looked like exotic dance costumes. 
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 11:29:54 AM »
For the record, I now wear BLACK! leggings, BLACK! wrap skirt, and another 5 all BLACK! protective items for practice. It makes me feel more professional than dresses or skirts :)

Ditto.  But I wear black everything all the time.  Keeps my fashion life clean, simple, and never dated.  My test dress is black.  However, for competition or a free skate test, I might go crazy with color.  I'm thinking gray or white.   :-*  I'm also *considering* emerald green but who knows. 

My opinion is go as short as your comfortable and as your body type allows.  If you have a great figure and are completely fit with no jiggly bits, why not go backless?  Cleavage, I think, looks awful in every day life but especially on the ice.  There's too much boob everywhere already.
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
This kind of got me fired up.  I do agree that adults should have coverage for the butt.  Hence why I do Brad dresses since the skirts are longer.  You should wear something that if you need a bra then the dress allows for it.  Practice stuff, if you would be embarrassed for your grandmother to see you in it, you shouldn't wear it.  Kids can get away with the shorty shorts but not a 35 year old.  You can still wear shorts but not something that you hang out of.  Any cleavage should be covered.  But I am a bit modest when it comes to that stuff. 

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 12:45:58 PM »
I agree with JSM - wear what you are comfortable in - for practice anyway. Everyone has different ideas of what this is so we are never all going to agree on clothing choices all of the time.

It is freezing at my rink so everyone is in multiple layers (almost all year round) so there is nothing on show anyway! I'm in black most often but not always, especially on my top half. A few kids do have booty shorts. Most try them over tights but freeze so switch to wearing them over their skating leggings instead! Too cold! Looks kind of odd though! :P

Competition clothing is different though as there are rules that need to be stuck to unless you want a clothing deduction! Overly revealing outfits can and do get penalised! Costumes are supposed to be appropriate for an athletic competition! ;)

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 01:26:53 PM »
I have, if I must say so, really GREAT legs.  And they're long.  While I don't wear dresses much (except when I go to camp), I may start wearing them again.  Who cares what you wear on the ice as long as nothing inappropriate pops out or flashes when you least expect it.

I've had competition dresses that I made myself, with low backs and a bit of cleavage showing.  Got a better score when I wore those dresses.  I worn all black, all blue and once all purple.  Was I comfortable? Sort of.  In the winter, I wear just about every color in the rainbow if it's clean and warm.  In the summer, I wear a lot of long sleeve tee shirts.  And sports bras because you WILL pop out of a Victoria Secret's bra (been there, done that!)

Semi-modestly pretty.  That's what I'm going for.
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 01:36:57 PM »
My coach came out with an interesting comment on adult competition dresses. You should wear something that you'd be comfortable wearing as a cocktail dress (if the skirt was a little longer). I thought that was a good way of looking at it. If you couldn't wear it in everyday life, why wear it skating. But she will equally turn around and tell people not to wear a dress if they're running the risk of bouncing out of it.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 02:53:20 PM »
You should wear something that you'd be comfortable wearing as a cocktail dress (if the skirt was a little longer). I thought that was a good way of looking at it. If you couldn't wear it in everyday life, why wear it skating.

Brilliant advice.  What a great way to look at it.

Offline sarahonice

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 6
    • Sarah on Ice: my skating blog
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 03:38:55 PM »
Hm, I think I'm on the other side of most of the comments. The first blog post sort of rankled because it seemed to be imposing some invisible set of rules on the adult skater, like there was some disapproving Adult Skating Authority shaking her head at me. Like figure skating needs any more invisible sets of rules to drive us nuts! Frankly I tend to wear what Xan recommends anyway, because black is what I bought, but that post made me want to go out and wear neon colored booty shorts, just because I can. Maybe I will. I may be 33 but I'm not dead yet and I want to look reasonably cute AND sporty. No reason we can't have both.

I think skating dresses are more flattering the SHORTER they are, as long as they cover the panty. The dresses that are "cocktail party appropriate" look long and matronly to me on the ice, unless you're an ice dancer where the norm is to wear longer dresses. (Even then I think the shorter skirts are prettier.) I wore this one longer-skirted dress (which looked like a pretty cocktail dress off ice) and I feel like it added ten years to my age, so I took up the hem several inches.

I think if you're comfortable wearing it, wear it -- for some that's a long skirt and for others it's booty shorts. It's fine to offer guidelines on what to wear, but it's feels so marginalizing to be told I *shouldn't* and *can't* and am not *dignified* wearing something because it's not black, or long enough. I don't care what you wear; why do you care what I wear?
My blog about learning to skate: http://sarahonice.wordpress.com

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 05:38:19 PM »
I disagree with a lot of things in the first blog. Why does she say that Chloe Noel's pants are wrong? I think they look very pretty both on kids and adults. And how about over-the-boot tights? Gosh, at the last test session, I was the only one who wasn't wearing those, kids and adults included. I used to think my legs were long enough without them, but then I saw my coach wear them, too, as she partnered her student. That's when I decided to get a pair, and I just did, though I haven't tested or competed in them yet. But I'm looking forward to it, and there comes that blog! Come on!

And speaking about skating dresses, it's not that easy for an adult skater to find a good dress. The choice is quite limited. For example, I'm tall and slender, but I wear XL skating dresses, which makes me self-conscious because outside the rink, I'm size small or medium. But because of my height, I have to buy XL skating dresses: anything else is way too short. Why do they go by those weird sizes? There are adult skaters who aren't particularly skinny, so what do they have to wear, XXL? I haven't seen those bigger sizes anywhere. And then my dress fits me just right, and it goes all the way up to the neck, but in the back it's fastened with a clasp. So before I tested in it, I wore it at a practice session, and, thank God, I had a video taken. That's when I saw that my bra could be seen in the back through the opening beneath the clasp. Gosh! So I don't wear a bra with that dress anymore, but fortunately, I can get away with it. What if someone can't? My point is that instead of criticizing everybody, the author of that blog should have come up with some constructive suggestions.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 06:10:39 PM »
The dresses that are "cocktail party appropriate" look long and matronly to me on the ice, unless you're an ice dancer where the norm is to wear longer dresses. (Even then I think the shorter skirts are prettier.) I wore this one longer-skirted dress (which looked like a pretty cocktail dress off ice) and I feel like it added ten years to my age, so I took up the hem several inches.

I was thinking cocktail appropriate to mean think "classy" or "elegant" rather than "garish" or.  I've seen some pretty tacky or overly frilly skating dresses on adults.  I agree about long skirts.  Unless, that is, you are ice dancing or are really uncomfortable showing your thighs.  I'm small but completely self-conscious which is why I am always asking about the best skating tights for cellulite!  Yet, I wear shorter skirts.

Why do they go by those weird sizes? There are adult skaters who aren't particularly skinny, so what do they have to wear, XXL?

Same here!  My girth is 61" (large) but my bust-waist-hip is a Small.  I think I'm going to have to buy large and take it in everywhere else.  Annoying.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 06:43:44 PM »
I want to wear something other than slacks on ice, but to be frank, I have calves like tree stumps, and thighs like easter hams. I've been experimenting with wearing running tights with a dance length sports skirt pulled over it.  I've worn it around town a couple of times, and got no comments. I may try it at the rink next.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 07:08:13 PM »

And speaking about skating dresses, it's not that easy for an adult skater to find a good dress. The choice is quite limited. For example, I'm tall and slender, but I wear XL skating dresses, which makes me self-conscious because outside the rink, I'm size small or medium. But because of my height, I have to buy XL skating dresses: anything else is way too short. Why do they go by those weird sizes? There are adult skaters who aren't particularly skinny, so what do they have to wear, XXL? I haven't seen those bigger sizes anywhere. And then my dress fits me just right, and it goes all the way up to the neck, but in the back it's fastened with a clasp. So before I tested in it, I wore it at a practice session, and, thank God, I had a video taken. That's when I saw that my bra could be seen in the back through the opening beneath the clasp. Gosh! So I don't wear a bra with that dress anymore, but fortunately, I can get away with it. What if someone can't? My point is that instead of criticizing everybody, the author of that blog should have come up with some constructive suggestions.

I had a problem with that years ago - I am a tall woman, normal sized for a woman and have a long waist.  I could never find an off-the-rack skating dress or leotard to fit me - very frustrating.  I wrote a letter to one of the companies asking why they didn't make anything for normal-size people and described my dimensions and weight, etc., in detail.  I got a copy of their catalogue back from them with all of the XL and XXL dresses and leotards circled.  They also called them "Queen" size which made me wonder why they didn't call the petit sizes "midget" because I found "Queen size" completely offensive...

Now I just wear a skirt over some tights but mostly wear pants... which I finally found some appropriate for skating that didn't cost an arm and a leg, look good and actually are attractive!

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 07:49:16 PM »
 (i'm 44, 5'5" and 150 pounds ...should be 135) I am not too fat anywhere, but my mid section.   :-(

What works for me is . . . "normal length" (i.e. short), straight skirts make into a stretch velvet dress.

What doesn't work is . . . Shiny material, clingy material.

Pants are ok looking on me, but I am scared of getting my blade caught when jumping.  I did this a few times, and had the split second of shear terror.  But, I still wear some pants occassionally.

So, I say go both modest & pretty.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 08:43:01 PM »
I don't fit anything off the rack.  My bust and hip measurements match one size, but my waist is two to three sizes bigger.  I have made most of my dresses and now have someone make them for me.  She is faster and better than me.

I wear dresses almost every time I am on ice.  The last time I wore pants (in Dec '11) everybody did a double take--most of them had never seen me in pants.  I just feel like a skater in a dress. And I wear in the boot tights.  One pair footed, the other footless. It's just what works for me.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 09:37:54 PM »
 I have a horrific time finding regular clothes, and wearing skating attire makes me feel ten times more self conscious. I am 15lbs overweight (all around the tummy section), and somewhat large busted with narrow shoulders & back, so both well-fitting  pants and tops are impossible to find.  I usually wear black or gray pants and  loose hip-covering-length long-sleeved tee-shirts (usually a LS under a SS) of various colors. It's impossible for someone without rock hard muscles and zero body fat to wear clingy clothes without panty lines showing, and I absolutely detest panty lines - I am constantly checking to make sure I don't have any showing.

I haven't been wearing any skating skirts/dresses since coming back to skating. I have researched endlessly and been unable to find any pre-made dress/skirt outfit that I think would not look horrible on my out of shape body.  Same thing with patterns for sewing - nothing. I think the only way I will get something I am comfortable with, is to design my own stuff (wouldn't be the first time, but it's been a long time).   

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 01:07:26 AM »
When saying cocktail dress appropriate my coach's comment was that the top half must be a suitable cocktail dress, she wasn't referring to skirt length. She actually said that you'd wear it as a cocktail dress IF the skirt was longer.
The idea being that you need to be comfortable wearing the dress. If you like lots of crystals then wear lots of crystals, if you're happier with understated, then wear understated. But the most important bit about your competition dress is to be comfortable in it.

Offline accordion

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 15
  • Skating about downunder...
    • Bobbins, Bikes and Blades
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 06:39:55 AM »
I never wear skirts or dresses (apart from my wedding dress). Only ever wear trousers or jeans. On the ice I wear warm yoga pants from Costco. They are black. I too am sick of black. I also have some super special blue magic pants from Se Ku, with the padding. I always wear brightly coloured tops and scarves. Am thinking about getting coloured laces or boot covers, except I don't have the skating skills or youth to carry that off  :nvm:

I wore a skirt on ice for the Christmas show and found it very breezy and was terrified I'd fall as I didn't want ANYONE seeing my well covered bits (undies, tights, leotard over the top). Happily I didn't tumble.

I found Xan's post useful but conservative. StLidwina was basically saying be comfortable and colourful. Definitely agree with that!
Will do almost anything for pizza.
http://bobbinsbikesandblades.com/wordpress/

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 07:21:33 AM »
I have Mondor 2978 in the black/white plaid and absolutely love it.   Anything in that straight skirt looks good. 
But, I have an older version of Mondor 2970 (double skirt with chiffon under it), and it makes my look super hips.

I have Mondor skating skirt 621 and it looks great with a plain tshirt and skating jacket.  Now, I want Mondor 2804's skating skirt in velvet.

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 11:47:20 AM »
With the exception of the two dresses I brought from the Consignment Shop in Lake Placid, all of  my competition dresses have come from EBay sites in China.  I am clinically obese according to the weight charts (and a note written in my medical record by a technician giving me an EKG), not really tall (5'6 1/4") with a substantial tummy and chest.  The dresses I order from China are ALL XL.  Sometimes they fit, sometimes they don't; it depends on where my weight is that particular day.

I still say where what you want.  Everyone should be focused on their skating and not what someone else is wearing.

For those of you looking for competition dresses from China on EBay, put into the search "Baton Twirling Dresses", I kid you not.
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 07:03:37 PM »
I buy my competition dresses on Ebay, too. I'm okay with them. Of course, I wish I were petite so I could try on all those beautiful girls' dresses. Unfortunately, it's impossible.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 07:12:29 PM »
I just returned a dress I bought on eBay from China.  I gave them my measurements and seemed to fit the medium chart almost perfectly (the waist was 1-3" too big).  When I got it, it was way too short in the girth.  Wedgie!  The panties didn't completely cover my bottom, of which I have little, and the waist was huge.  Epic fail.  It was cheaper to return it and get some money back than to lose all of it.  Never again.