You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating Etiquette Article (Jimmy Santee, PSA Magazine)  (Read 14753 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Skating Etiquette Article (Jimmy Santee, PSA Magazine)
« on: September 03, 2010, 06:07:49 PM »
Jimmy Santee wrote a great article for the PSA magazine that he's replicated on his blog.  It's very informative and includes diagrams to clarify his suggestions about practice etiquette and on-ice layout for jumps, spins, etc.

http://skatepsa.blogspot.com/2010/11/forgotten-art-of-skating-ettiquette.html
http://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/2010/12/06_pandas_560x375.jpg

Larger illustrations of the diagrams from that post are located on the PSA site here:
http://www.skatepsa.com/PDF%20Documents/RinkDiagrams.pdf

Nicely done, Mr. Santee.

Mod edit: So long panda picture.  Corrected link.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Skating Etiquette Article (Jimmy Santee, PSA Magazine)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 12:39:20 AM »
Here is another diagram by Rinkside

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 06:56:25 AM »
Jimmy Santee wrote a great article for the PSA magazine that he's replicated on his blog.  It's very informative and includes diagrams to clarify his suggestions about practice etiquette and on-ice layout for jumps, spins, etc.

http://skatepsa.blogspot.com/2010/11/forgotten-art-of-skating-ettiquette.html
http://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/2010/12/06_pandas_560x375.jpg

Larger illustrations of the diagrams from that post are located on the PSA site here:
http://www.skatepsa.com/PDF%20Documents/RinkDiagrams.pdf

Nicely done, Mr. Santee.

This was his presentation at the PSA conference - I was at it; it was good.  He also showed a really cute video made by the kids at his club in Minnesota to introduce new freestylers to ice etiquette.  I plan on redoing these maps for my rink (our harness run is in a different spot).  I don't know that the exact layout is so important, but it is very helpful for people to know where to expect different things to occur on the ice.  A rink with pairs should probably include the lift lane on their map.

Your first link is showing me a picture of a panda family.

Mod edit: Corrected link

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
Your first link is showing me a picture of a panda family.

Very strange.  Correct link is here: http://skatepsa.blogspot.com/2010/11/forgotten-art-of-skating-ettiquette.html
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 08:43:30 AM »
A creepy panda family!  It looks like 2 humans in panda costumes holding a real baby panda....wonder what the story behind that is.

I find the diagrams helpful...I just hope rinks that adopt them make sure skaters know they are kind of like the pirate's code: guidelines more than rules.  Especially Jimmy Santee's one that doesn't take CW skaters into account at all.  The other link seems to be more of a "rink flow" as in: this is where to expect skaters to be doing certain things, rather than "this is where certain things must be done."  

Offline Elsa

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 4
  • skating CW in a CCW world
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 09:45:38 AM »
I just hope rinks that adopt them make sure skaters know they are kind of like the pirate's code: guidelines more than rules.  Especially Jimmy Santee's one that doesn't take CW skaters into account at all.  The other link seems to be more of a "rink flow" as in: this is where to expect skaters to be doing certain things, rather than "this is where certain things must be done."  

As a CW skater, I totally agree. :)  I like that rinkside included CW locations too.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 09:55:31 AM »
Only problem is that the rinkside image doesn't include any place to SPIN or do the USFSA circular/perimeter Moves patterns.  Guess it's for a jump-only session? My CW skater doesn't have a problem finding places for her jumps on freestyles.  Her lutz is good!  Plus it doesn't address the harness run, which isn't a big deal at our rink - it blocks only one lutz corner.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 10:18:19 AM »
A creepy panda family!  It looks like 2 humans in panda costumes holding a real baby panda....wonder what the story behind that is.
I think that's exactly what it was; I remember reading an article about Chinese zookeepers wearing costumes to be surrogates to a baby panda.  It might have been rejected or in danger from the mother, I don't remember the whole story.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 10:34:38 AM »
Only problem is that the rinkside image doesn't include any place to SPIN or do the USFSA circular/perimeter Moves patterns.  

My understanding of the rinkside image is that it was a way to learn what patterns to expect from skaters- where they would be for different things, and thus, how to avoid them.  It wasn't a map of where to be for each element (since it included the set-up pathways).   For example, the lutz happens in the corner, but the set up starts at the whole other side of the rink, and travels around it.  

I wonder if it is common at other rinks for skaters to do loops near the center hockey circle.  It seems that is pretty common from the high level skaters at our rink.  That appears to be the only jump that isn't done in a corner/end (toe loop seems to go more between the center of the circles)

I think that's exactly what it was; I remember reading an article about Chinese zookeepers wearing costumes to be surrogates to a baby panda.  It might have been rejected or in danger from the mother, I don't remember the whole story.
Surely baby pandas are that stupid to think that those people are actually pandas...the poor baby is probably what the heck is going on!  

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 11:00:44 AM »
The only jump I put in a corner for lessons or practices IS the Lutz.  The flip and salchow are done between the end hockey circles after an entry run like Santee presents in his diagram.  The loop is a little different because it necessarily curves at the takeoff, so I could see putting that a little closer to the hockey line, but I send it down the same way, towards the center of the circles.

At the PSA Conference, several of the presenters explained their choosing to use introductory footwork for all jumps in given places on the ice, most jumps are at the ends.  In a way, that makes sense because a slipped toepick can make a huge divot.  You wouldn't want that in the center of the ice where spins and footwork come through.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 11:11:04 AM »
My rink recently posted freestyle ice etiquette rules (did not see it coming!!!!  :angel: ) along with a diagram. Comments?

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 12:00:40 PM »
My rink recently posted freestyle ice etiquette rules (did not see it coming!!!!  :angel: ) along with a diagram. Comments?

Obviously no lefties in that rink.
And does no one do step sequences, moves or dance at that rink?

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 12:16:24 PM »

And obviously no one runs their program, which may mean jumps and spins are outside of those areas. While I get what they're trying to do, it isn't done particularly well.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 12:26:47 PM »
Perhaps the rink offers Moves and Dance sessions separately?

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 12:30:05 PM »
When I was younger, MITF was a new invention, and no one at my rink did dance, so this pattern worked pretty well, even on crowded sessions.  I was one of but two or three lefties total, and I was able to find openings and practice.  Obviously, the person in their program had the right away in all circumstances.

I miss those days, honestly.  Crowded freestyle sessions now are near impossible to skate on, because so many people are doing patterns (dance or MITF), and we have a lot of people who teach in lutz corners, and some skaters (newer) stand BETWEEN the hockey circles.  This is where all the flip and toe loop jumps are practiced!  Drives me insane.  But other than the people standing around in the middle of the ice, it's no ones fault that it's hard to practice on crowded freestyles.  It's just busy.

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 01:33:49 PM »
And obviously no one runs their program, which may mean jumps and spins are outside of those areas. While I get what they're trying to do, it isn't done particularly well.
At most rinks skaters in lesson have first right of way.  Skaters running programs have second right of way - so, it does not matter where their elements are laid out; if you're not in a lesson they can do a spin out of those elements and they still have right of way (rinks don't run two programs at once, unless they have multiple ice surfaces.  This is why it was not worth divulging into in the article (though it was somewhat mentioned, in a roundabout way).

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 01:36:59 PM »
That's amazing.  Every rink needs this.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 02:00:20 PM »

actually the rule now says no full mitf patterns on freestyle ice

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 02:42:30 PM »
actually the rule now says no full mitf patterns on freestyle ice

Whoa, really? Do you have designated MITF ice?
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 03:12:08 PM »

Yeah, I was just wondering that.

While it's nearly impossible to do full MITF patterns at my rink on a full freestyle session, it's still allowed.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 03:23:09 PM »
That's progressive to ban Moves patterns on a freestyle session.  Must have more than one sheet of ice. 

Rinks have Moves, Dance, and even Patch, sessions.  At other rinks, they divide freestyle time into low-, medium-, and high-level freestyle sessions.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 04:23:21 PM »

At most rinks skaters in lesson have first right of way.  Skaters running programs have second right of way.

Program to music has top priority anytime here. And the diagram serves as a guidance, not absolute rule.

They become righties! (wink wink @nicklaszlo lol)

Perhaps the rink offers Moves and Dance sessions separately?

The actual rule: Full Moves in the Field patterns are not permitted on Freestyle sessions. Full patterns are permitted on Moves sessions ONLY. Moves in the Field steps may be broken down into smaller footwork patterns and practiced parallel to the boards during Freestyle sessions.

I went a bit ??? at this too as we only have one full size sheet of ice, and the moves ice is very limited. PM if you are interested to see FIVE pages of practice ice rules  :angel: :angel:

We certainly have lovely, dedicated dance sessions in the summer. It's interesting that full MITF patterns got ruled out but not dance. Maybe MITF skaters who refuse to yield got out of control while dancers watch for others fine.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 04:29:01 PM »
Another rule that is important: Coaches who have several skaters on the ice may work with a maximum of FOUR skaters at one time. These skaters must SPREAD OUT and leave room in between them when practicing a maneuver.

So now we have blocks of 4 instead of blocks of 10, improvement! (proud survivor of the rink dance camp last year when coaches also ran private summer camps on FS ice)

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2013, 09:35:17 AM »
I kinda like it even though I am a leftie. I already do my toe loop, flip, and loop in those lanes (except the extra loop lane around the circle). Lutz I could do through the loop lane. The salchow - waltz - axel lane would be a challenge though (maybe through the lutz lane?).  If the FS is larger 15-20+, I think the spin area is a bit small.

My main rink is a bit chaotic now. 16-22 skaters on a session doing moves and FS. Spins between the blue lines and jumps outside the spin area. Over half the girls are working on Intermediate Moves or higher. No designated Moves sessions. Most coaches teach edges and the axel along one of the blue lines, going straight into Moves traffic. It seems like most coaches teaching skaters working on single jumps have found a comfort spot to teach their lessons in and stay there almost the entire lesson. Those with skaters working on doubles move around more.

New rink is ISI only - no moves. They have one end of spinning which also has the jump harness. Jumps everywhere else.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2013, 02:31:45 PM »
PM if you are interested to see FIVE pages of practice ice rules  :angel: :angel:
5 pages! :o

My rink has 1 very small paragraph! :P It can be summarised by:
- patch (practice ice) must be booked 48 hrs in advance. (This point takes up most of the paragraph!)
- be polite and watch out for other skaters.
- no chatting on the ice.
- there must be a coach on the ice in order for you to be allowed to skate.

Ermmm, that is pretty much it! :) There are no designated jumping or spinning areas. It works well on the quieter sessions I skate, though the "there must be a coach on the ice" rule is a nightmare sometimes if my coach is away and during school holidays. Summer holidays start in a couple of days so my available practice time is about to plummet as the kids (and consequently coaches) come in later - too late for me to do anything other than just my lesson before work. :(

Most skaters develop a rather pavlovian response to our (very few) high level skaters program music though - opening bars = bail for barrier even if you are mid lesson! It is chaos when one of them has new music! ???