You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Common questions before the first competition / test session  (Read 20705 times)

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
Re: Common questions before the first competition / test session
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 08:29:07 AM »
Ok fair point lol!

- find out what to wear over your dress/costume, and when to take it off (before/during/after warm up)

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 08:16:34 PM »
That depends on the rink what you wear before/during warm up... some rinks are quite cold and you might want zip/snap off pants to keep from freezing.

Offline Laneybug7

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
  • Total GOE: 25
  • Unicorns and glitter:P
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 10:08:53 AM »
Some answers/advice:

-I can't say this enough..make sure you have back up copies of your music.
-When you have back to back numbers..like I did one year with costume changes...make sure to have a mom or skater help you with the quick changes...if possible have this all worked out before the competition
-If there's a flash flood warning in your area the night before the comp...NEVER have your skates/dress in the car.  Made that mistake and was very fortunate to still compete the next day
-Bring a backup costume just in case of wardrobe malfunctions
-Have fun, focus on skating YOUR best...you can't control the judges or other competitiors
-Try to make friends with skaters from other clubs..support eachother

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2011, 08:11:06 PM »
More advice...

Set a meeting point for you and your coach so you're not wandering around missing each other.
Bring extra tights and an extra set of laces
If possible beforehand get a layout of the rink to figure out where to start your program and practice it presenting to the judges.  (you may have to "reverse" your program)
Sounds lame but practice your bowing or curtsy-ing
Go over with your coach what to do if there's a wardrobe/equipment malfunction during your program
Get to the rink at least an hour ahead of your event.  If your coach is already there ask him or her to call you if they are running late or early.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 11:14:18 AM »
First USFS test in 10 days and I'm nervous. Lots of great information in this thread!

Explain about what happens if you get a reskate on an element.

For USFS skaters: are there reskates in MITF and dance? If so, how does it work?

FWIW, a couple years ago there was a break down of percentages of passes by state by test and IL was the lowest passing percentages.

Made me much more nervous...

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 11:31:38 AM »
First USFS test in 10 days and I'm nervous. Lots of great information in this thread!

Good luck! And as my coach said, go out there and enjoy it!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 11:54:57 AM »
I've never taken a dance test, so I don't know, but you can get a reskate in MITF.

If you get one, they will tell you the element you need to reskate- and you have to do the entire pattern.  Most judges will tell you WHY you are getting it (you were toe pushing, need more power), but not all.

You can take a few seconds to go talk to your coach before you start.  Take a deep breathe, and get a drink of water.  I had to reskate on my PB test, I didn't do the entire figure eight pattern for forward crossovers, did 3 circles not 4.  The judge just said "oh, you were probably nervous- make sure to skate the whole pattern this time."

I've found even the "mean" judges are nice on the first tests.  They want you to do well.   If they ask you to start a move somewhere you aren't used to, ask them for your "usual" spot- they can only say no, and many will say yes.  My PB was double paneled, and they asked me to do the 3-turn pattern (again, another move not there anymore) starting on the foot I don't usually do.  My coach told me to NOT do it that way, so I asked if instead of starting on the opposite side of the rink from the other skater, could I follow behind him- there was no problem.

Also- if the rink is really really cold there is no reason to not wear a jacket during moves.  I've had a session where judges actually asked that skaters keep them on, even for freeskate...

I bring extras of EVERYTHING, just so I can't worry.  A second dress, extra tights, extra laces, blister pads, safety pins, bobby pins- etc.  I've never needed any of it.  If you are prone to tummy troubles, throw in a bit of medicine.  I have needed that.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 12:03:01 PM »
I've never taken a dance test, so I don't know, but you can get a reskate in MITF.

If you get one, they will tell you the element you need to reskate- and you have to do the entire pattern.  Most judges will tell you WHY you are getting it (you were toe pushing, need more power), but not all.

You do not have to do the entire pattern for a MITF reskate. Per TR 23.01 A - "After a moves in the field test, only one element may be reskated. The reskate may consist of the entire element or a portion of the element."

I put my foot down on the double back inside three turns on Intermediate (the 2nd half of the pattern). At the end, I was asked to reskate and was given the choice of the entire pattern or just the insides. I started with my end pattern to get speed and then performed the double 3s and passed. I was taught that a reskate is good - it means the judges think you have a chance to pass and they want to pass you!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 12:13:01 PM »
Thanks for the correction.  I've never seen a partial element.

I agree- a reskate is not a bad thing.  If you aren't going to pass regardless, they won't give you one.

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 12:18:09 PM »

For USFS skaters: are there reskates in MITF and dance? If so, how does it work?

Good luck on your tests!!  You'll do great ;)  What tests are you taking?  As Caraskates had said, if the judges ask you to reskate anything, it is because they want to pass you!!  Just some encouraging words, at the last test I took one of the judges said to me how awesome she thought it was that I, as an adult, was skating and taking tests.  She said she and the other two judges had the easy job of watching :)  They were really nice and it made me feel really relaxed.  Actually I think I skated that test better than any other test or competition I've ever skated in my life!!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 12:45:37 PM »
I'm testing the three preliminary dances and pre bronze moves. Good to hear the moves have reskates, what about ice dance?

I'm worried about forgetting or messing up a dance step under pressure. Would that be an automatic fail assuming the rest is ok? Or is reskate a possibility?

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 12:54:19 PM »
My competition/test tips:
— Bring a blanket to sit on, wrap around your legs, etc. I usually forget.
— Bring two pairs of tights and two hair ties.
— Don't bring small items such as lipstick with you when you go with your coach to wait for your warmup. My poor coach always got stuck holding my lipstick, and last time the warmup began earlier than expected and I just shoved it in my jacket pocket...where I forgot about it, until I pulled it out of the washing machine two days later.
— If you drink coffee before an early morning test/event, put something else in your stomach with it. I've skated a couple of times on just coffee, and that combined with nerves made me visibly jittery.
— Don't get super excited about your placement in front of other skaters. This one goes for coaches/parents too. I came in last (third) in an event once and another coach said to her student, in front of me, "Look who didn't skate for a month and still got second!" A perfectly reasonable comment but after I'd practiced really hard for weeks, it was a slap in the face.
— Don't take your placement too seriously. Easier said than done, but they really do seem arbitrary sometimes. Almost every skater I know has finished both first and last in competition.
— Take off your skates if you have more than 30 minutes in between events, and change into warm clothes if you have more than maybe an hour.
— Plan to arrive at least an hour early. If you think you might run into traffic on the way, plan on an hour and a half.

Some common questions in my area:
— What is the difference between ISI and USFS? (We have comps for both in our area and this comes up a lot.)
— Do I have to put a lot of makeup on my daughter? She's only four/eight/ten.
— What should I do with her hair?
— Where can I buy a dress?
— Does over-the-boot v.s. footed tights matter?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2012, 01:15:06 PM »
Dance tests do allow reskates:

TR 47.00 Reskating a Pattern Dance Test
TR 47.01 The judge-in-charge or a majority of the panel may require candidates to
reskate any dance for which they have just been judged with the same or another
partner after a suitable rest period. The judge-in-charge may appoint a new partner
without regard to test or eligibility status but subject to the provisions of TR 7.04.
The reskate must be skated in the same session at which the test was given. See
also TR 47.03. If the test in question is a solo pattern dance track test, the judgein-
charge or a majority of the panel may ask for a reskate of the solo pattern dance
track test.
TR 47.02 If a candidate is required to reskate a dance, either with the same or
another partner (see TR 47.01) or on the required solo or on a solo pattern dance
track test, the judge-in-charge will:
A. Decide whether one or two sequences of the dance will be performed;
B. Indicate the location of the start of the reskate;
C. Determine the appropriate period of rest; and
D. Inform the skater of these details.

This make me wonder if that means the judge could say of two skaters testing together "skate this with your coach" for the reskate...

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2012, 01:48:25 PM »
I'm testing the three preliminary dances and pre bronze moves.

I'm taking these exact same tests in August! I've got a lot of questions about testing for the first time as well, so thanks for bumping this thread!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2012, 01:59:53 PM »
I've seen partnered dance tests where a mistake was made and the coach-partner just continued and took the tester through an extra pattern so the judges would see two correct ones.  The test passed.  I don't know how common that practice is, since it's not happened to me.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2012, 03:22:28 PM »
I've seen partnered dance tests where a mistake was made and the coach-partner just continued and took the tester through an extra pattern so the judges would see two correct ones.  The test passed.  I don't know how common that practice is, since it's not happened to me.

This can happen, especially on the first levels. 

The judges can ask for a reskate of a dance if they think that maybe if you just didn't put your foot down the dance would have passed. Usually they will only ask for one pattern.  I have RARELY seen this happen.

The judges can also ask the skater to skate with a different partner if they think that whatever the "problem" is had more to do with a problem with the partner than the skater (tester) themselves.  I have only seen this happen rarely (very rarely).

The judges really don't want to put any more stress on the skater than they already are under so if it is perceived that changing partners would be too stressful or if there are no other suitable partners then maybe the test will still pass but a comment may be made about finding a more suitable practice partner.

Every circumstance is different and every effort is made to try to give the skater optimal opportunity to pass.

Offline gypsy_82

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2012, 04:37:51 PM »

When I took the Foxtrot (I think) my partner and I (me) messed up the end of the pattern so he said to just keep going, we didn't know if we has to do 2 or 3 patterns.  I head judge, as we were going by, said to keep going.  I ended up passing.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2012, 10:23:03 PM »
There was one dance test session my daughter skated that had quite a few reskates on dance tests. A lot of them were at the Silver level where you first start having to do a solo in addition to partnering.  A certain coach's skaters were not doing the right number of patterns Solo - 3  - on the Rocker Foxtrot solo because the other two dances - Tango and American Waltz only needed 2 patterns.  The judges were kind enough to let the skaters skate one more pattern.

Offline turnip

• Total GOE: 8
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2012, 08:42:02 AM »
Will we ever have tests ever again? <-- this seems to be the theme at my rink at the moment *sigh* On the grapevine, SOMETHING is apparently going on, something dodgy, but what that something is, I have no idea! It isn't affectng me right now as I am a loooooong way off my next tests, but it annoys my coach who has kids in for tests, and the parents who understandably don't want to cart their kids halfway across the country (UK, not USA lol) just for a skating test, and the kids who are waiting to test. And probably the kids they compete against who are thinking everyone at my rink is sandbagging!

My friend crashed into the barrier on her dance test  :( She carried on with the dance and the second dance (two dances to each test, you have to pass both) but was obviously nervous and shaken by the crash. She failed but I was soooooooo proud of her for carrying on! I would've probably gone off the ice in tears! So whatever happens, carry on. Even if you know you've failed, carry on and enjoy having the ice to yourself.

What to do while the judges deliberate... I asked my coach this on the morning of my test and she said to come back to her, which I did. Then the judges called me over and asked me to reskate an element, which I did and then I loitered (out of earshot though) by them, which made my coach and another coach laugh at me. I didn't care cause i passed though  :P

Another positive about judges - when my music failed at my first competition, the judges called me over and were very very nice, assured me that they are people too! Just people who loved to sit in freezing temperatures to watch people skate!

Reskates - I got offered a practice of the element I had to reskate but I didn't take it as I thought i'd be good in the practice and then mess it up when I had to do it for real cause i'd be more tired! The kid who went on after me was firmly told to take the chance of a practice if she got a reskate lol! So maybe ask your coach what to do in this case, as I didn't even know a practice would be offered! The judges did tell me what was wrong the first time and what they were looking for to bring it to a pass.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2012, 09:51:03 AM »
Some more silly questions:

Who decides what music to use for compulsory dance tests? Coach? Judge? (actually who is responsible for bringing compulsory music CD? Skater's team or test organizer?)

Does USFS have any rules against taping a test session or does it just depend on the rink/club?

Will the judges deduct "impression points" for OTB tights with small holes that are mended but still show a little bit if up close? (going to put bandaids underneath too lol)

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2012, 10:07:35 AM »
Some more silly questions:

Who decides what music to use for compulsory dance tests? Coach? Judge? (actually who is responsible for bringing compulsory music CD? Skater's team or test organizer?)

The test organizers should have music available for compulsory dances, but I always bring my own CD as well, just in case.  I've always been able to specify which music I was going to use, but I've only tested locally.

Does USFS have any rules against taping a test session or does it just depend on the rink/club?

As far as I know, there's no problem with taping a test - there are certainly enough videos on YouTube!  I wouldn't tape somebody else's test without their permission, though.

Will the judges deduct "impression points" for OTB tights with small holes that are mended but still show a little bit if up close? (going to put bandaids underneath too lol)

You are not judged on what you are wearing.  The marks are for technique and timing/expression.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2012, 02:48:51 PM »

USFSA has standard music for the tests.. you can buy it on a disc from them, I think it's about $20.  As far as who is responsible for bringing it, I have no idea.. I would assume your coach would gladly supply it.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2012, 10:48:04 PM »
Learned this today: for USFS moves test, the tester is expected to memorize the order of patterns. It's also nice to end up the previous pattern near the starting position of the upcoming pattern.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2012, 11:00:35 PM »
For early tests, the judges will tell you if you don't know them.  And you can skate to the beginning of the next move regardless of where you end the last one.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2012, 11:24:38 PM »
It's also nice to end up the previous pattern near the starting position of the upcoming pattern.

My coach told me that this isn't necessary, and not to worry about it, but that once you finish a move, just move to the start of the next one, STOP, and wait to make eye contact with all the judges before continuing... she said that the thing a lot of people get dinged on with their first few tests is not stopping fully between each move, and skating before the judges are ready.

Remembering the order of the tests has been my biggest struggle.  I know the order of the first three moves for pre-bronze and bronze, after that I have no clue... thankfully I have 4 weeks to work on it.. I've ONLY been working on the moves in order to help myself remember, which one would think helps, but I've been practicing them out of order for so long that I still don't know what comes after what.  My coach said if we have to get a sharpie and write the order out on my hand for the test session, that it's okay :)