You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Box Jumping  (Read 6940 times)

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 1
Box Jumping
« on: January 05, 2011, 07:55:20 PM »
Okay, there's probably a fancy plyometric name for this, but i am looking for videos/video clip of the box jumping technique to improve jumping technique, particularly the axel.  I pretty much know how to do it, but would like it as a point of reference for future, for myself and for students.

Anyone?

THANKS!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Box Jumping
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 08:07:38 PM »
I resurrected some threads from the old board for you on this topic: http://skatingforums.com/index.php?board=27.0

I didn't find any videos, though, sorry.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 08:27:09 PM »
Are you looking for standard box jumps, or actually jumping up on to a step from an axel takeoff?
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 09:38:35 PM »
Well, i'm not sure what you are asking, but it's jumping from the ground up to the box.  Coach has had me do 1/2 jump, then add 1/2, then eventually shoot for the whole thing, which terrifies me (i'm scared of breaking an ankle).  Of course, this is with having a spotter, which is always fun to try to dig such one person up :)

Offline rsk8d

• Sk8Strong
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 07:40:18 AM »
When doing box jumps, you should only be jumping onto a step that is a comfortable height. You should land on the box with a soft sound, and it should be low enough that you are coming down from the jump and absorbing the shock through your knees.  If the step/box is too high, you are not coming down into it, and will jolt your knees.  I have seen many people trying to jump onto a ridiculously high step, which causes improper mechanics, and can lead to injury.  It is better to use a 6 inch hurdle, progress to a 12 in hurdle, the eventually an 18 inch.  With hurdles, you are always absorbing the shock on the way down.  PM me your email, and I will send you Sk8strong's plyometric download.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 08:33:38 AM »
What sort of box is actually being used for jumping onto? I've read about people doing these sorts of jumps before but never worked out what sort of equipment is being used for jumping onto.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 10:32:51 PM »
I've seen people use open bleachers, but I think that's just crazy - one slip and your leg is between the risers.  (The hockey coaches use them for running drills instead of steps.  *shudders*)

On icoachskating, they show a frame/platform contraption for vertical jump training off ice:
http://www.icoachskating.com/site.php/spgs/read/matthew_blair_davis/
Look at the photos with the red-framed platform: I've never seen anyone use those before.

I think that rsk8d would say that platform would be too high for someone just starting out.
Is there a skater height issue as well - a skater of () height shouldn't use platforms above x inches?

In the archived threads I linked, using an aerobics step platform or a sturdy bench attached to a wall or railing was suggested. 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 02:47:28 AM »
I've seen people use open bleachers, but I think that's just crazy - one slip and your leg is between the risers.  (The hockey coaches use them for running drills instead of steps.  *shudders*)

On icoachskating, they show a frame/platform contraption for vertical jump training off ice:
http://www.icoachskating.com/site.php/spgs/read/matthew_blair_davis/
Look at the photos with the red-framed platform: I've never seen anyone use those before.

I think that rsk8d would say that platform would be too high for someone just starting out.
Is there a skater height issue as well - a skater of () height shouldn't use platforms above x inches?

In the archived threads I linked, using an aerobics step platform or a sturdy bench attached to a wall or railing was suggested. 

I'm hoping that the girl is a high jumper, that platform is rather high for a static jump up to. Without having a box to jump onto to try it out, I suspect I could manage about 12inches without too much struggle but not the 2.5ft that box looked to be!
I'll have to look into an aerobics step. That's probably a good idea as I believe they are variable in height so you could start on a low height setting and build up.
I'd be scared to jump onto something attached to a wall. In school we were doing high jump in the gym and I jumped across the landing mat straight into the wall and badly strained my ankle.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 04:56:32 PM »
I'd be scared to jump onto something attached to a wall. In school we were doing high jump in the gym and I jumped across the landing mat straight into the wall and badly strained my ankle.

The thing is, with an axel takeoff, you are really supposed to jump almost straight up, not forward/across.  Having the bench flush against a wall and taking off from a standstill fairly close to the bench encourages this.  That wall also prevents you from jumping over the bench and having a bad fall.

Offline rsk8d

• Sk8Strong
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 05:47:02 PM »
Typical aerobic steps or a box like the one in the video are fine for box jumping.  You can't judge if the step in the video is too high until you see the skater jump on it, but it does look quite high, definitely not something to start with.  I would avoid bleacher jumping.  I stress the importance on being able to absorb shock on the way down, as when you are coming down from a skating jump, you are using your muscles eccentrically in the same way.

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 09:31:45 PM »
It is a 12" high box; recommended height by someone expert in the field.  I had mine build wider and deeper just because i didn't want to fall off a small one.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 03:22:56 PM »
Miraclegro, that is a good idea.  For regular jumping with no rotation, that kind of small surface area would be fine, but if you are going to use it for axel takeoff drills (i.e., jumping up and landing backward on the other foot on the box/platform), you'll need a lot more room for error.  That's why I prefer something that is stationary and flush to the wall.  No way to fall backward off of it with a wall behind it! ;)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 09:06:09 PM »
Couldn't you place the oversized box against a wall, so you have the best of both worlds?

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 01:44:52 PM »
Well, sounds good, but i won't do it without a spotter person anyway, and coach said to jump off the back even if it has to be "hopping" to emulate the landing.  So, it's like this, start with 1/2 turn, then hop hop hop until i have emulated axel on box then land on floor behind box.  Eventually lessen the turns, and shoot for the whole thing.  What i want to see is actual frame-by-frame pics or footage of someone actually doing it.  Maybe I can take a pic of box and post it so you all can see!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
Well, sounds good, but i won't do it without a spotter person anyway, and coach said to jump off the back even if it has to be "hopping" to emulate the landing.  So, it's like this, start with 1/2 turn, then hop hop hop until i have emulated axel on box then land on floor behind box.  Eventually lessen the turns, and shoot for the whole thing.  What i want to see is actual frame-by-frame pics or footage of someone actually doing it.  Maybe I can take a pic of box and post it so you all can see!

I'm confused. Can you explain again what you're coach is aiming for you to do?
Is it to do a half turn up onto the box and then another full revolution when you jump off the box? I can see that jumping up onto a box and doing part of the jump on it would be beneficial and then doing the other part of the jump coming down from the box, but can't work out where the split between the 1.5 revolutions would come.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 03:20:19 PM »
I don't know of any online resources for this drill.  I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen anyone do this, but I can't remember anyone doing the full walkthrough with the box in the center of the jump. 

I would think that the wider footprint of the box could prevent you from jumping off the box cleanly.  The box is usually used to teach the 1/2 turn axis change - jump straight up, change axis, land on the opposite foot in backspin position.  Can't say I've seen on-the-box hopping; I've seen jump-land 1/2-jump-land off-box whole rotation.

This looks like a safer version without the box: http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=793.0
It's not plyometrics though; it's just a walkthrough.

I think you should ask the coach to walk you through this or check with a good off-ice jump trainer for clarification. 

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 12:34:41 AM »
There is some box jumping in these routines:

At 1:51, jump landing (2:26) but no rotation, though:

Finally, a big box - 36" and she is 5'6".  No way she could rotate at all with it being that high:

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 08:10:21 AM »
Holy cow - what incredible ease in those jumps!  I could never do that - I'd miss the box and fall on my butt, lol.

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
Just for fun, here's a pro hockey player doing a 57" box jump (pretty much just to see if he could do it):

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 09:01:37 PM »
That just begs the question of "why?"  It looked like a challenge, given his audience and the spotter, lol.

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 09:13:32 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was entirely to see how tall of a box he could actually land on. Still, there's no way I could get my toes onto something chest height like that...

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 09:14:33 PM »
It looked like they had stacked mats up to raise the height - looked a little dangerous, which makes me think there was a wager involved.