You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Minor scuffs/skate tape  (Read 135 times)

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 13
Minor scuffs/skate tape
« on: March 11, 2017, 01:51:03 PM »
So, newbie question here. I know many see their skate scuffs as badges of honor for hours practiced and elements learned, but I do love my white skates. I usually cover the back 3/4 with leg warmers or long pants and it is starting to show....only the toes have scuffs, though they are fairly minor. I got some sk8 tape and just used it to kind of patch where some of the finish has come off, and along one of the edges next to the sole where I see a wear pattern. My theory being that if it were covered, the existing scuffs would be less likely to continue to grow larger or new ones develop in that area near the sole.

I did some skate forum searches and did not find much info on patching them up, most of the info was for use of larger amounts of tape for performances/programs. Folks did seem to be saying to change the tape every month or so, does the tape trap moisture? Anyone else use it as a preventative bandage on smaller blemishes, and if so, how did it work?

Offline Query

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 94
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Minor scuffs/skate tape
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 02:47:29 PM »
I looked into leather repair a while back, after one out of town pro shop guy mentioned that he did such repairs on skates. Basically, he stripped off the old clear coat and probably the old polish, buffed the leather, and applied a leather prep, new polish, and maybe a new clear coat layer. There are also leather repair fluids that can fill large gashes.

A fair number of people have just applied new polish - probably not as durable, but fast.

But I never got around to doing it myself.

You might affect the breathability of your skates, which might matter if you have warm sweaty feet.

I often use the thin nylon boot covers that many pro shops sell. It reduces wear and makes it easier to do lunges, but they sometimes need to be replaced. Some of the kids around here have done elaborate paint jobs on their covers, and some of the girls use over-the-boot tights instead. (I wonder how often tights need replacement.)

I never tried the thick warm neoprene covers - perhaps they don't need replacement.

I'll leave talking about tape to those who use it.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Parked in Lutz Corner
  • Total GOE: 215
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 07:38:36 PM »
I use electrical tape.  If you have black boots, it's almost identical to sk8 tape and much cheaper and easier to find.  You may be able to find it in white and a range of other colors at a hardware store, but black is standard.

Tape does not trap moisture in any harmful way. 

I only replace it when it has worn away, or if I want to skate a performance without it.

The leg warmers and long pants do almost nothing to protect the skate.  Normally nearly all the wear is on the lower front of the boot.  I get holes in my pants too, but they are usually much higher up.

I wear boot covers, but I put holes in them really fast.  The commercial boot covers are probably not designed for boots as big as mine, so your mileage may vary.

Offline skatemom189

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 12:40:07 AM »
When my DD gets new boots, before she steps on the ice we apply white skate tape to the inside side of the boot from the toe to just past the ball of the foot along the sole edge.  This protects the boots from all her lunges- her favorite spin entrance is a lunge into a sit spin to start, so this saves a lot of wear and tear.  We also put tape on the outside side of the right boot from the toe to the ball of the foot, going from the laces to the sole.  This protects from the left blade hitting the boot during jumps and prevents most gouges in the leather.  We may add multiple layers when she gets to double axles for even more protection..

We remove the tape for competitions or performances.  We also use a Magic Eraser to remove any other black marks, and it works great for that.

Offline Loops

• Lipping a Lutz
  • Total GOE: 99
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 01:22:53 AM »
I use white electrical tape that I get at the local home depot like store. Works great!