You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Is it realistic for me to shoot for doubles as an end-goal?  (Read 3466 times)

Offline hanfan26

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 16
Is it realistic for me to shoot for doubles as an end-goal?
« on: March 02, 2017, 09:32:15 AM »
I'm 20 and starting lessons this month (the 25th!) and I'm so excited. I've loved skating but I've never had the opportunity to learn until recently. Of course I want to learn the basics and build a strong foundation, but do you think it's possible for me to eventually learn doubles (& single axel)? This, in my head, is kind of the end goal and I fully realize that it will take some time. Also, I'm in pretty decent shape and I've had some experience with similar spinning in another sport (twirling). Thank you for reading and I hope you have a nice day.  :)

[mod note: topic moved.  no harm, no foul - rookie mistake.]

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Is it realistic for me to shoot for doubles as an end-goal?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 10:12:21 AM »
Welcome, welcome.

Most coaches today are teaching the basics with the end-goal of having a skater able to do an axel or doubles.  A lot depends on your ability/condition (sounds okay) and time/money/ice availability. 

However, you can't just focus on jumps. 
Edges are the foundation of this sport.  Jumps with poor edges and uncontrolled landings are not looked upon kindly. 
Stroking, crossovers, etc. are what set up all our moves and allow us to flow across the ice successfully.
Spins are critical to succeeding.  We use a lot of spins as training drills as well as demonstrations of control, skills and speed. 
Turns and transitions (spirals, spreadeagles, etc.) are key to making a program succeed with audiences and judging panels.

So, don't focus on one goal too early.  Skating is like building a sandcastle: a solid foundation lets you build higher.

I've always wanted to know how spins work in Twirling.  My mom was a Twirler back in the day and she taught me the basics of twirling a baton, but I never asked her about the spins.  What part of the foot do you use?  Are there special shoes?  What do you do with your shoulders?  Do you spot?  (The latter is a major difference between ballet and figure skating - we'd get whiplash if we spotted on spins - the speed of a perfect spin is just too fast to allow that, physically.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline hanfan26

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 10:34:35 AM »
In twirling we spun on the ball of our foot, and we did have special shoes. We mostly performed on gym floors, which are really slippery so we wore really thin sneaker-like shoes with a ribbed sole. I'm not sure if that's typical for all teams, but they were really comfortable. As for shoulders, personally I guess I pulled my arms and shoulders in briefly to spin, but not too much because I had to catch the baton at the end.

Offline Jf12

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 12:05:01 PM »
Statistically, it is unlikely, but it doesn't mean it isn't possible.  It will however be a great goal to keep you motivated!  I think also once you get more into it, you will create other goals that you don't know about now.

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 02:36:23 PM »
Do you have the time and money to:

- Spend 3000+ hours on ice working it out by yourself
- Or spend 1500+ hours on ice AND the money to pay for private coaching

AND the time and discipline for serious amounts of off-ice training

AND the ability to skate during the times of day when you can get sane (i.e. non-public) ice time.

AND the money to pay for the equipment and sharpenings and travel to rinks and everything else
incidental

AND the persistence in the face of a seemingly brick wall of no progress for months or years at a time

AND are physically capable (i.e. no lingering injuries, sicknesses or deformities to mess you up)

AND the drive to essentially throw away your social life for this.

AND the interpersonal skills to maintain a productive relationship with a coach.

If so to all of these, then I'd say yes.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 07:38:06 PM »
I think Riley overstates things a bit.  If you're just working on doubles, you don't need to spend lots of time on skating skills, spins, choreography, program run throughs, etc. 

Some of the adult skaters who have all their doubles and also compete very successfully at the senior level work non-skating jobs 50+ hours/week.  These people may have no social life, but it's not because of skating.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 07:48:58 PM »
I was about 56 when I did my first double in lesson. It was a double Sal. I had started skating again when I turned 50, but had never had lessons before that. I was a pond skater when I was young and in my 20s.

So, when I hear of someone only 20 wondering if they can learn doubles, I say HECK YES. If you work at it, you can easily do it.
Bill Schneider

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 08:20:29 PM »
Age is really only one piece of the puzzle, and not an especially big one, I think.  Motivation, inherent ability, and confidence are also important.  There's lots of things that I can't do right now, but it's not because I'm 47.  It's because I'm a big chicken.  I think it would have been just as true if I had started 20 years ago.   88)

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 09:14:37 PM »
Yes it is possible! I landed my first Axel at age 30 and double sal at age 38. If you want it bad enough, you can make it happen.
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 10:50:31 PM »
Of course it's possible.  And you are very young and sound like you're in good shape.  Time, practice and definitely a good foundation of the basics will help.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline hanfan26

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 08:20:36 AM »
Thank you all so much for your wonderful feedback! I really do appreciate it hearing from more experienced skaters and not just my family about such topics.