You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating in my sleep?  (Read 4685 times)

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
Skating in my sleep?
« on: January 22, 2017, 09:12:59 AM »
This post is kind of amusing actually. :0) Last night, I woke up at around 3:00am and had a hard time getting back to sleep. I rolled over on to my stomach as I always have and realized, that I sleep in a "jump rotation" position. My arms are tucked into my chest and my left foot is crossed over the right, with toes pointed down. I never realized that I did this until last night. Mind you I have never done jumps before, so it's not from that. Maybe I do jumps in my sleep? Lol Maybe I just watch skating videos too much? NEVER!  ;D

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
Re: Skating in my sleep?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 02:40:21 PM »
Oh you got it baaaaad.....

I'd love to skate in my dreams more often, but I have done so only a few times.   

Actually I'd love to practice during lucid dreaming.  I have lucid dreamed a couple of times in my life,  but I haven't figured out how to induce it reliably.   It could be a fantastic training tool if you could induce it on demand.

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 03:17:23 PM »
Yuuuuppp! I do have it really bad. Lol I had a dream once a long time ago, that I could skate comfortably and remembered what it felt like in my feet. I knew even after I woke up and before I learned to skate, what that feeling was supposed to feel like. I was right about that feeling. As I was learning to skate, it was frustrating, because I knew how my feet were supposed to feel, but they didn't feel that way. Now that I can skate a lot better, the feeling is soo awesome!
I have had a few lucid dreams as well. It would really be cool to be able to train in ones sleep. :0) I have had dreams of doing off ice jumps as well. That was pretty cool.  ;D

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 03:43:38 PM »
I'm afraid that I resemble an splatted skater in my sleeping positions. I recognize some of them.

Now about dreams - I am able to solve vexing problems after "sleeping on it", but unfortunately lots of these are work-related. I retire in a less than a year, so maybe I'll have more time to solve other problems then.
Bill Schneider

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 03:57:32 PM »
I fixed my right crossovers by dreaming about them once a few years ago.  I had somehow gotten myself into a state where I could only do them if I was holding my coach's hand, even though I'd been able to do them on my own before.  One night I had a dream where I was doing crossover after crossover after crossover perfectly, and woke up saying "oh yeah, I can do these things!"  My next lesson, I told my coach she wasn't allowed to hold my hand, and managed them just fine on my own.  (My right crossovers are still the skill most likely to go AWOL on bad days, but since I know I can do them I just keep trying until I get them.)

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 06:29:49 PM »
That's pretty cool about the cross overs. :0) There is an adult size walker at the rink and I am not afraid to use it. Lol I was working on cross overs as well. I skated with the walker and did the cross overs while holding on. Then I lightly held on to the walker and did it again. I was finally able to do the cross over while not holding on to the walker and it was an Olympic moment for me. Lol
I am all over the place with adult 6 and need to just get through the level I am at and then move on. Lol

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 07:24:28 PM »
I fixed my axels because of my dreams. I felt my legs crossing during the dreams and was able to replicate it in real life (note that it took me 9 years to learn how to cross my legs in this jump so it wasn't overnight). I wish I had more of these dreams so I can fix everything else that's wrong!
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 07:28:03 PM »
As a middle-aged Prebronze/Bronze skater, I have no aspirations of ever doing doubles, much less triple jumps. However, I have a beautiful dream triple toe.

Realistically, I have a pretty good single toe. . .
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 08:15:25 PM »
I want to eventually test for pre bronze. I also want to do compulsory figures as well. I know a lot of people don't want anything to do with figures, but I think they are very important and a good base for skating.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 04:18:09 AM »
I sleep in a "jump rotation" position.

Supposedly Michelle Kwan did this.  Maybe on purpose?

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 09:25:42 AM »
Oh I love skating dreams. They're my favorites. I don't get to jump in real life, so it's nice that I still have my axle ans 2s in my dreams. They feel pretty good, and hopefully if it ever came to it, would help me get the real life ones back, should the opportunity present itself.

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 01:24:20 PM »
My dream skating is definitely faster/stronger than actual skating.  Not dreaming but I do find that if I'm having a hard time getting to sleep, visualizing the test patterns is soothing.  I have no idea why-maybe just enough thought that I stop obsessing over other things keeping me awake?  But enough repetition to be calming? 

Offline mnrjpf99

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »
I often do the same thing. I visualize, myself doing jumps and try to imagine what it must be like. :0)