You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Dress Blinging  (Read 2742 times)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Dress Blinging
« on: January 15, 2017, 10:38:12 AM »
I'm having this dress made for me, however I've chosen to do the crystalling myself. Any suggestions on design ideas and colour to use
(or at least look at)? And what size crystals do you recommend? I remember last time ordering far too small crystals but as it's a couple of years ago, I don't know what size I ordered then let alone what size they were! (I have a very blinged skirt on that dress with lots of teeny tiny crystals but I'm trying not to do that again).

http://www.usicewear.com/?id=8289

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
Re: Dress Blinging
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 02:23:00 AM »
Nice dress!  What colourway have you ordered?

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 03:59:57 PM »
Nice dress!  What colourway have you ordered?

The same as the picture. I debated the others, but decided I actually liked the picture.

Any ideas on how to crystal it? I'm getting it without any and have zero artistic flare for these things.

Offline Mom2NewSkater

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 04:25:18 PM »
I personally like ss20 and ss30 sizes.  I've ordered ss16 before and think they are too small (personal preference).  Someone I work with order ss34 for her daughter to match some other stones already on a costume, and they seemed too big to me (again personal preference).    Maybe this picture of a chart will give you a better idea of the sizes.  The top row of clear rhinestones show sizes.  Since it is a picture, they may not be true to size, but it gives you a general idea.

Offline Mom2NewSkater

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 04:26:34 PM »
If you have Facebook and are in the US, I can give you the link to a lady who has fantastic prices on stones. 

Offline Abbyar

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 10:26:00 PM »
I'm interested in people's perspectives on AB vs Shimmer (light AB) vs no finish. I'm always torn on what finish to order.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 03:16:19 PM »
I managed to miss your reply Mom2NewSkater and managed to repeat my mistake of ordering too small crystals! I ended up with SS12 and SS16. Although I did decide that I quite like the slightly smaller stones (SS12 might be a little small), but they weren't as small as when I ordered SS10 last time.

I've not heard of Shimmer finish? I've only ever seen the regular and the AB. I tend to end up buying AB most and just have a few in the colour I'm after without the AB finish.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 06:45:26 PM »
If you have Facebook and are in the US, I can give you the link to a lady who has fantastic prices on stones.

Just saw this now and I'm interested!

Offline Mom2NewSkater

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 09:12:50 AM »
This the link to the FB group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/557739897624366/

The lady that runs the group has to approve you.  If you have any issues getting into the group, let me know.

I should mention a few things.  If you are in a hurry, this is not the way to go, especially if she is having a good sale.  In general my orders typically take about two weeks to get to me. 

She does have people help her ship the orders, and on a couple of occasions I have been sent the wrong stones.  All I've had to do is message her, I send the stones back (I send her a pic of my postal receipt, so she will go ahead and ship my correct stones and reimburse shipping), she reimburses the shipping and I get the new stones.

Offline Mom2NewSkater

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 09:17:17 AM »
I've not seen Shimmer.  I typically order AB for pastel color dresses.  I like the iridescent effect.  If I order crystal stones, I always get AB  unless adding stones to a dress that already has regular crystals on it.  If I order red or black, I do not get AB. 

Offline Mom2NewSkater

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 09:19:23 AM »
I think stone size is a complete personal preference.  I know I wouldn't like 12ss.  I can deal with 16ss, but they aren't my favorite.  When I started buying stones, I really thought 30ss would be my favorite.  Ultimately 20ss are.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
Dress Blinging
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 08:57:38 AM »
This the link to the FB group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/557739897624366/

The lady that runs the group has to approve you.  If you have any issues getting into the group, let me know.

I should mention a few things.  If you are in a hurry, this is not the way to go, especially if she is having a good sale.  In general my orders typically take about two weeks to get to me. 

She does have people help her ship the orders, and on a couple of occasions I have been sent the wrong stones.  All I've had to do is message her, I send the stones back (I send her a pic of my postal receipt, so she will go ahead and ship my correct stones and reimburse shipping), she reimburses the shipping and I get the new stones.

Thanks! I'm usually not in a big rush, but good to know!! Does she have to know who you are to join, or will my profile pic of me and my girls in skating dresses do the trick?

Offline Mom2NewSkater

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 10:50:14 AM »
My guess is your profile pic will do the trick.  If you request to join and don't get added, PM me your FB info if you want and I'll contact her.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 03:37:09 PM »
Thanks, I'm in! :)